“Pet Room”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Historic Route 66 Motel
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Tucumcari
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I read the reviews thinking I would like this motel, I was wrong. Many things were wrong with this room. First of all I requested a "pet" friendly room so perhaps the non-pet friendly rooms are nicer. With that being said, I was disappointed with my stay here. First thing I noticed was the odor. It smelled to me like something rancid, I suspect it actually was old varnish that needs to be redone. The front door sticks and made noise when opening and closing. The bed was very soft as if the mattress needed replacing. The carpeting seemed very worn with several flaws in it. It was very reasonably priced so I didn't give it the lowest rating.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Gregory M
mcfulton, Owner at Historic Route 66 Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

And just think Greg - you stayed in a pet room that was just recently remodeled! Really - I’m not kidding. The particular room that you slept was just completed at the end of December. The bed was purchased along with some others October 2012. Although the baseboard is brand new, the professionally cleaned carpet still has a couple of years of service life left before it will be replaced.

You see, at the whopping $45 room rate (including pet charge) that you were charged, a value priced hotel can’t afford to have the same amenities as – say – the other hotels that you also have personally reviewed and posted on Tripadvisor (the Hilton Garden Inn [$99 – no pets even allowed] or the Sandia Peak Inn [$90 including pet charge]). You also complain about a rancid smell? What? I may smell a very, very faint smell of new paint, but man – you’d have to have a pretty sensitive nose. (I’d suggest you carefully examine your suitcase, perhaps there’s an old pork chop or maybe a chicken neck in there that you forgot about.)

But fortunately, I am truly happy that you submitted your review because you have been the topic of conversation between my wife and I for a week. I maintained that regardless of your online reservation, I would have refused your business while you were first checking-in because of your pompous and condescending attitude. My wife argued that we needed the money. Maybe she’s right, but in the future, please be certain to tell all of your friends, you know – anyone who actually likes you – not to ever stay here.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

This motel isn't too bad if you're looking for a cheap motel on Route 66. The staff was friendly and pointed us to some restaurants for dinner. We ended up staying a second night because one of us got sick and couldn't travel. Tucumcari is pretty dead, but from talking to the locals they are trying to revive it. We had a problem with our heater the second night but we were able to move to a new room. The room wasn't fancy and the decor was old, but it was clean and nice enough to stay two nights!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Number one on our list is cleanliness and the Historic Route 66 Motel is very clean. We were travelling with a cat and a dog and the "pet friendly" room we stayedi in did not smell at all pet friendly. At least not to us; the dog found lots of little sniffy spots but we couldn't see any stains or spots anywhere. There is a big grassy area in the center where dogs can do their business and most people are considerate enough to clean up after their pet.
Now, as to the nostalgia: The inkeeper is personable and helpful and trying her best to make a go of a slightly run down motel in a dying town. The rates are extremely reasonable but don't look for a coffee pot or hair dryer - you wouldn't have expected them in the '50s either.
There is a nice little coffee bar attached to the motel which is a good thing because nearly eveything in Tucumcari is closed. The truck stop out by the interstate is the only place to find anything. It's sad because the ambience of the town plays a big part in the overall impression of this motel.

Room Tip: Most guests were in the southwest corner which is probably the pet friendly rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jackrabbid
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Super nice people, very accommodating. A step back in time with improvements. Very comfortable beds, new carpet and clean bath. More work needs to be done to bring it up to excellent status. Upgrade the TV, repair or replace some paneling and just general outside maintenance. It's sad to see the Route 66 corridor in such bad shape, which in no way reflects on this property since they are trying to preserve the history. Kudos to them for that and I wish them all the best.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Such a treat to stay here. The owner was incredibly friendly, helpful, and committed to making sure we were comfortable and happy. Rooms were super clean (just a little dated). Very affordable, near some great restaurants, and a convenient coffee shop (Circa) right at the motel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying here last week. What a charming little place done up with all the Route 66 paraphernalia. The price of the room was ridiculously inexpensive. It's run by a very nice couple. Cathy was kind enough to run over and turn the heat on when i called. Nothing worse than checking into a cold room after traveling all day. She is a sweet, hardworking lady. It's obvious that she and her husband have put great effort into maintaining and improving this cozy motel. The rooms were nice sized, really clean and nicely appointed. The bed was soft but firm and the linens top notch. I travel a lot and really appreciate a clean room.

There are many choices in this small town, including the cheap chain motels. I've stayed in many of them and this place far exceeds the experiences I have had at the chain hotels/motels.

They even have a little expresso bar that's open from 6:30 am to 11:00 am. They serve coffee, lattes, and breakfast food.

I'll definitely be back when traveling through New Mexico again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here on our way from MI to San Diego and it was a great experience. The rooms are old fashioned and retro, but that is cool when you are on route 66. There is an espresso bar right next to it, with great coffee drinks. The owner was really nice and it is much less expensive than the Blue Swallow. It was like $44 a night with taxes. Also, it is American owned. The rooms were very clean too and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family