“Great little find”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Historic Route 66 Motel
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Great little find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

The staff was great when I checked in. Rooms were clean. Small hotels are becoming a thing of the past and I especially like to support them. For the price they charge you can't expect breakfast and flat screen TVs but this place was clean and orderly and I also got a queen bed!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Okie874

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

We drove through Tucumcari during one of the coldest snaps of the year. Having stayed at the Historic Route 66 Motel before, we knew where we would stay that night. I must say that I was a little apprehensive that we would be cold during the night. I believe it was down to about 10 degrees that night. Well, we were so warm and toasty I actually set the heat too high and had to get up and turn it down. That was a wonderful "problem" to have. Even the grandparents traveling with us reported their room temperature was perfect. We requested a fridge in one of our rooms and the owner made sure it was there. It is my understanding that not all rooms have fridges, so if this is a requirement you may want to phone ahead to request one early. The large rooms served our family well during the stay. Plenty of room for everyone in the family to just hang out in one room. The rooms are always tidy. If anyone is of the impression that this motel offers amenities on par with the Holiday Inn or Hampton, you are not intelligent enough to stay here. The reviews and the photos on the motel website clearly point out that this is vintage and a great bargain. If you like clean, comfy mattresses, spacious rooms, kind hosts and a safe and secure stay, this is your motel. Oh and the Circa coffee bar is a must stop, as always!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DellaDidDisney
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

This was a wonderful place to stay. My boyfriend our dog and I were on a road trip from Austin to San Francisco and decided to stay the night in Tucamcari. We stayed in one of the pet friendly rooms and there were no weirds smells or pet markings (which I was expecting due to the other reviews on here) I thought it was very clean and comfortable. The owners of the hotel are very friendly and kind and you can't beat the price. I would recommended this hotel to anyone traveling trough. Also a bonus is the cute coffee shop, Circa attached to the hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bartlesville, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I read the reviews thinking I would like this motel, I was wrong. Many things were wrong with this room. First of all I requested a "pet" friendly room so perhaps the non-pet friendly rooms are nicer. With that being said, I was disappointed with my stay here. First thing I noticed was the odor. It smelled to me like something rancid, I suspect it actually was old varnish that needs to be redone. The front door sticks and made noise when opening and closing. The bed was very soft as if the mattress needed replacing. The carpeting seemed very worn with several flaws in it. It was very reasonably priced so I didn't give it the lowest rating.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Gregory M
mcfulton, Owner at Historic Route 66 Motel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
And just think Greg - you stayed in a pet room that was just recently remodeled! Really - I’m not kidding. The particular room that you slept was just completed at the end of December. The bed was purchased along with some others October 2012. Although the baseboard is brand new, the professionally cleaned carpet still has a couple of years of service life left before it will be replaced.

You see, at the whopping $45 room rate (including pet charge) that you were charged, a value priced hotel can’t afford to have the same amenities as – say – the other hotels that you also have personally reviewed and posted on Tripadvisor (the Hilton Garden Inn [$99 – no pets even allowed] or the Sandia Peak Inn [$90 including pet charge]). You also complain about a rancid smell? What? I may smell a very, very faint smell of new paint, but man – you’d have to have a pretty sensitive nose. (I’d suggest you carefully examine your suitcase, perhaps there’s an old pork chop or maybe a chicken neck in there that you forgot about.)

But fortunately, I am truly happy that you submitted your review because you have been the topic of conversation between my wife and I for a week. I maintained that regardless of your online reservation, I would have refused your business while you were first checking-in because of your pompous and condescending attitude. My wife argued that we needed the money. Maybe she’s right, but in the future, please be certain to tell all of your friends, you know – anyone who actually likes you – not to ever stay here.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

This motel isn't too bad if you're looking for a cheap motel on Route 66. The staff was friendly and pointed us to some restaurants for dinner. We ended up staying a second night because one of us got sick and couldn't travel. Tucumcari is pretty dead, but from talking to the locals they are trying to revive it. We had a problem with our heater the second night but we were able to move to a new room. The room wasn't fancy and the decor was old, but it was clean and nice enough to stay two nights!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Number one on our list is cleanliness and the Historic Route 66 Motel is very clean. We were travelling with a cat and a dog and the "pet friendly" room we stayedi in did not smell at all pet friendly. At least not to us; the dog found lots of little sniffy spots but we couldn't see any stains or spots anywhere. There is a big grassy area in the center where dogs can do their business and most people are considerate enough to clean up after their pet.
Now, as to the nostalgia: The inkeeper is personable and helpful and trying her best to make a go of a slightly run down motel in a dying town. The rates are extremely reasonable but don't look for a coffee pot or hair dryer - you wouldn't have expected them in the '50s either.
There is a nice little coffee bar attached to the motel which is a good thing because nearly eveything in Tucumcari is closed. The truck stop out by the interstate is the only place to find anything. It's sad because the ambience of the town plays a big part in the overall impression of this motel.

Room Tip: Most guests were in the southwest corner which is probably the pet friendly rooms.