“Comfortable in every sense”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Historic Route 66 Motel
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Southeast Kansas
“Comfortable in every sense”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was recommended by one of our guidebooks--and they were totally right! Friendly staff (the owner even froze our ice containers overnight so we'd have them ready for our cooler!), pet friendly. (The night of our stay, we had Barney, the Great Dane, next door, 3 cats in another room, 3 dogs in another--that I know of.)

Spotlessly clean, comfortable beds, very quiet--did not hear a peep from any of the guests after we went to bed. Another big plus--it's the type of place I'd recommend to any other female travelers as being a great choice--we sat outside our door and enjoyed the breeze and view of the park across the street in complete comfort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RatinerianMom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a night last weekend during Rockabilly on the Route, and were very pleased with our stay. Check-in and check-out went smoothly. The owner and front desk clerk were very friendly. I even saw the owner later that night at the rockabilly show and she remembered my name. The rooms were spacious, very clean and comfortable. I love how they have kept the retro feel alive with the decor! The room also had a mini refrigerator and microwave, which is always nice to have. We found a bunch of extra blankets and pillows in one of the cabinets, too. I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Langley, Washington
Reviewed 11 June 2014

What a sweet sweet spot, and a complete surprise. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and very spacious. With floor-to-ceiling windows, it was bright and welcoming and thoroughly cool in a 1950's/1960's way. Nothing fancy about it, but totally wonderful. They even have a good espresso café on site! What a find! The owner/operator was so gracious and helpful, and the accommodations so perfect (and inexpensive) I decided to stay a second night.

Everyone who travels Route 66 is looking for charming reflections of the past. The Historic Route 66 Motel has it, with wi-fi and lattés. I only found it because the iconic Blue Swallow Motel was full and its owner suggested this as an alternative. This will now be my go-to Tucumcari destination. While it lacks the neon of the Blue Swallow, it has all the charm at 1/3 the price.

I only wish I could have stayed longer! I look forward to more stays at the Historic Route 66 Motel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank FrishPhoto
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We’ve stayed at several motels in Tucumcari. This is now our favorite. It has friendly staff, perfect parking, mirror and shower for 6 foot customers, bright lights, and priced for us. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: All rooms are at parking level.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Walt H
Prata di Pordenone, Italy
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

On our cross country journey of America I wanted my family to experience what motels were like before holiday Inn express took over. I called the motel about 40 minutes before I arrived and asked for the air conditioning to be turned on. The owner was friendly and thanked me for calling. The room was very clean, the air conditioning worked great, and the water pressure/temperature was outstanding in the shower. The front of the rooms are all glass, but the draperies cover them and block out any outside light. The motel is also pet friendly and has a great coffee shop attached. For 50 bucks with pets, you can't beat this place!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank regluke
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 25 May 2014

An older historic property lovingly restored to its prior stature. The personal service by the owner is impeccable. The rooms are large and well furnished. The almost new king size bed provided a great night's sleep. The large refrigerator and microwave added to the experience. Perfect location. Unquestionably the best value in Tucumcari. I do not consider staying anywhere else when I am in Tucumcari.

Orrin Ford

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bonford_1
Ocean Pines, MD
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I last reviewed the Route 66 Motel around 2010-11 and if there are any changes they are for the better. We travel from Maryland to Arizona each winter and return in the spring and always stay at the Route 66 if near Tucumcari for the nite. We travel with our Golden and usually ask for the pet suite. We have always been satisfied with all our stays there. The owners are super friendly and if you call them from the road about 1hr. before your arrival they will make sure either the heat or a/c is on so your room is ready for you. They also operate a morning expresso bar next door to satisfy you breakfast needs. We have been doing motels arcoss the country for the past eleven years and the Historic Route 66 Motel is one our better stops. No, its not the Marriott or the Hilton, but it is a darn nice inexpensive 50's retro motel on Route 66. And if I can throw in another plug. You must have dinner at Dels Restaurant just up the street.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family