“Wonderful Stay”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Tucumcari
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We have now stayed at this La Quinta twice. When we were here in May, a smoke alarm was accidentally set off and threw everything into chaos at a very early hour. It didn't bother us too much because we were getting ready to hit the road again, but in the confusion we managed to leave our dog's pillow (very large) in the room. By the time we discovered the loss we were long gone. I called the motel and asked them if there was any way they could hold it until we came back through in October. They assured me they would, although I had little hope we would ever be seeing it again. Lo and behold when we stayed here in our return trip home, the front desk personnel knew exactly where it was stored and brought it out immediately. What service!!

The motel is a nice place about three motels down from the freeway so the traffic noise is minimal. The rooms are clean, if not overly large. It's a wonderful place to stay, particularly if you're traveling with a pet. The staff was friendly and competent. We had a great stay.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank LAGWoman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We had a very nice stay at this great property. The hotel and rooms decorated in a modern, hip style, and was meticulously clean. We selected the property while still on the road, calling ahead for a reservation. The basis of our selection was their pet-friendly policy (we have our dog this trip.) Not only do they have a real grass yard set aside with pick-up supplies handy (grass is hard to grow here), but we got a handful of dog treats upon check in, and everybody acted happy to have her here with us. We noticed a lot of travelers with dogs, so we know other travelers appreciate the policy. Obviously individual dogs vary from night to night, but we didn't hear ANY barking or disruptive noise at all.

I didn't see any worrisome vermin, no strange odors anywhere. We enjoyed the warm pool and very, very warm spa after a long day on the road (and had it to ourselves!) The shower in our room was vigorous and hot. The room had 9 foot ceilings, which gives a subtle "fancy" touch to the surroundings. This time of year (October) we don't need much A/C, but it worked very well for the moment it was in use. Wifi was strong and easy to use, even in the (presumably) peak evening hours. We are in the middle of a cross-country move, and we appreciated the generous parking for our huge moving truck + trailer in the adjacent lot.

The staff was really kind and personable. I woke exceptionally early, so went to the Breakfast room before hours, so as not to wake my family and was welcomed into the area despite the staff still working to set things up. We had to leave early to get on down the road, and the breakfast was good - really set us up for the day. Travelers will appreciate the location right on I-40, easy on/off from the Interstate. It is roughly halfway between Amarillo and Albuquerque.

This property is definitely recommended!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Whitehouse, Texas
Reviewed 3 October 2011

The hotel was acceptable--clean room, the usual breakfast bar--but when we were leaving the parking lot, we discovered our gas tank had been drained during the night...completely empty, below the E...and there was a half tank when we had arrived the previous evening. Probably should have alerted the hotel, but we were on our way when we noticed and quickly proceeded to the nearest gas station. The hotel itself was fine, but I doubt we'll ever stay anywhere near that area again.

Room Tip: Choose a good room in another hopefully more secure location.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We arrived late and left early so did not get to try the breakfast but this is a nice hotel with nice very friendly and helpful people. Would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank cjv48
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Nice comfy room. Great breakfast. Clean. No complaints.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank squeekypb
Rockport, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2011

We stay at LQ's every where we go as we have two dogs and LQ is a pet friendly hotel.
We would never stay in Tucumcari, unless absolutely necessary and this trip was necessary. We spent a quiet evening ordering food in. We used points for this room for a total of about $11.00. In reviewing my amex bill, I find a charge for $250.00 for that same night plus the original charge. We have called the INN and have been told that was for damages my pet caused. No itemization, no nothing just a cleaning fee of $250.00. I am at a total loss as to what this is for. Apparently Mr. Brand, current GM of this hotel just picked a figure and on the same day as we left added $250.00. to the AMEX bill. I have traveled extensively and stayed at LQ's and am an Elite member. We were given no notice of this charge and unless I had checked my bill, I would have had no idea what it was for. There was no furniture broken, I can attest to. No damage to furniture. If my pet had an accident on carpet we would have cleaned it up and I have never seen a carpet cleaning bill in my 2500 sq foot house for $250.00. It would appear to be just an arbitrary figure this manager (and I use the word loosely) came up with. Would never stay there again and will be filing complaints with LQ Returns Customer Service and will notify Amex that it is a false charge.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank missy12329
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We stayed here one night passing through Tucumcari. The front desk staff were friendly and the room was clean. The pet area could be a little better, but it seems it may be hard to maintain grass there. Breakfast the next morning was nice with plenty of options.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family