“A Step Back in Time”
Review of Blue Swallow Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Blue Swallow Motel
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Minnesota
“A Step Back in Time”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Blue Swallow Motel and we absolutely loved it. This is a real step back in time. The rooms are small but so cozy. The beds and bedding are very comfortable and the room was very clean. This motel is unique and has a personality all of its own. I enjoyed every minute we were there. If you want a large room that has all the latest amenities, You should go to one of the chain hotels in the area. This is the place to stay if you want a feeling of times gone by. Try it and you will not be disappointed.

2 Thank LMNMN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
Bella Vista, Arkansas
Reviewed 9 January 2014

If you like the nostalgic Route 66 motels, this one is really unique. The old neon signs are great. The rooms include a garage, and most of the garages have wonderful murals painted on them, depicting old cars and "the mother road". The owners are very friendly and accommodating. They are keeping the motel true to the old style. The room was very small, but cozy with a comfortable bed and nice linens. Old newspapers, magazines and even an old working rotary telephone add to the 50s atmosphere. Coffee and fresh, home-made muffins (chocolate chip zucchini on the morning we were there -- delish!) are served in the lobby/gift shop. We definitely look forward to staying there again on our next trip west.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room with one queen bed which was adequate for 2. If you need more space, you might...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Read the reviews sounded like it was worth a try. We love trying bed and breakfasts , and anything to get out of the norm. The owner was friendly and willing to show us the rooms. It was late and cold and we said yes. Quaint and vintage I guess to some 50 some things it meant old and dated. The rooms were clean and the best mattress I have ever slept on besides home. But otherwise I felt like it was a cross between a thrift store and my grandmothers. They had fresh coffee but in the office , it was 6 degrees that a.m. so a jaunt across the parking lot wasn't going to happen. Lesson learned.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grannykkk
krmtrains1, Owner at Blue Swallow Motel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thanks for sharing your feedback on your recent visit. The most important part of your stay and your review is where you stated that " The rooms were clean and the best mattress I have ever slept on besides home." We strive for a combination of modern comfort and vintage charm, and seem to have missed part of that formula with you. We are sorry you did not find the decor in your room to your liking. We have searched all over the country in antique shops, and yes, even THRIFT SHOPS to find authentic, period pieces to compliment the original light fixtures, bathroom tiles, etc. in order to make the room feel as true to the 40's and 50's as we can. Every room is decorated differently, and perhaps one of the other rooms would have been more to your liking. Or perhaps, vintage isn't for you, and a 1939-built historic motel was not a good choice. That is the main reason we take the time to show the room to each guest before we check anyone in. The goal is to ensure the room meets with your approval first.
Nancy and I are sorry that we were unable to meet that goal with you.

Finally, our coffee is worth the short walk across the parking lot, especially on an unusually frosty morning like those we experienced recently!

Kevin & Nancy
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed in this most fantastic motel in December while doing our Route 66 trip , we booked for one night and loved it so much ended staying for two !! We stayed in room 4 it was beautiful just like staying at your grandparents when you were younger and the bed grabbed you and didn't want to let you go . The fresh coffee was lovely first thing on a morning and warming in the evening when I was walking around the motel looking at the art work in the garages and the amazing neon that surrounds the blue swallow motel . My daughter n I have come away with many memories of our stay here from Nancy's home made muffins, Kevin's train track, Bessy the dog and a coffee mug so we never forget our stay at The BLUE SWALLOW MOTEL

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ellabella29
So glad you enjoyed your visit, and it was a pleasure to share the atmosphere with you! Thanks for making the Blue Swallow "your home away from home".

Kevin & Nancy
Fenton, MO.
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed in room 11 on a weekday night in December 2013. The owners were very pleasant and I was very much entertained by walking about to view the artwork in the garages, adjacent to the rooms, and on the buildings. This was the first time we ever had a private garage for our car at a motel! The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the windows opened. Unfortunately, the night was cold and the bathroom had no heater that we could find so showering was uncomfortable. Ice cubes were available, but only in small bags. Good complimentary coffee was available in office. Breakfast consisted of one type of small muffins (cinnamon the morning we were there. Since one of us does not eat cinnamon, he settled for the good coffee). I would enjoy staying here again, but in warmer weather.

Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed 1 night in room 3. Everything was as promised on the web site. This is a historic motel and people should expect small rooms and some noise from both old Route 66 and possibly your neighbors. My husband could hear the neighbors snoring but I went right to sleep. The owners are wonderful hosts. We would stay here again without hesitation. $65 for 2 adults cash discount is a bargain.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 31 December 2013

It was Christmas day, I was traveling by myself from Phoenix to Oklahoma City, and needed to place to stop for the evening. I knew since it was Christmas day, things could be sketchy as far as finding a place that wasn't completely too much money, or one that was even available. I called them on a whim from the road in Gallup, and was able to reserve a room. So glad I did this. The location is an antique shop come to life. It's kitschy, nostalgic, cozy, and best of all felt like visiting a grandmotherly home. The rooms have throw-back decor mostly from the 1950s, and details down to newspapers left in nightstands from the era. If you're looking for something fancy, this place isn't for you. But if you're like me and always want the best off-the-beaten-path experiences, this is it. Hands down. I will never stay in another chain hotel in New Mexico again. The couple who now own the place are delightful, friendly, caring, and know how to make a person feel at home. Between the decor, murals inside the garages available for guests, and the fresh-brewed coffee with home-made muffins for breakfast (pumpkin chocolate chip were on the menu for the day...fantastic), this was the most authentic Route 66 experience I've ever had. I truly felt a connection to generations long gone, during a time when weary travelers stayed at the family-run Inn and actually experienced a piece of the family at the same time. Greatness. And hats-off to the owners for doing something like this as a brand new venture.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo