“A tad less than average”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Tucumcari
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Chose this hotel based on the reviews here, and do so wonder where so many excellent reviews come from! It wasn't the worse place I've ever stayed, but it sure was not my opinion of excellent. However, the price was pretty cheap, so one must consider that they do get what they pay for! A hole in the sheets and two dead bugs (at least they were dead...) were swiped from the bed. I do understand that bugs are everywhere, and difficult to control, however, I would prefer to do without!

Appreciated that it's dog friendly, did have wifi (although pretty slow), and a free breakfast came along with a very inexpensive room.

Don't believe we'll be through Tucumcari again, but if so, will give another motel a try.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jperkin1
There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Picked this one based on TripAdvisor reviews, and they were just about right. It was a refurbished older property, but roomy and clean. As others have said, the breakfast was not as good as other Choice properties, but was serviceable. Good value. Be sure to go to Del's for dinner (recommended by front desk).

Room Tip: Not much difference.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marc K
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I booked this hotel based on the reviews on this site and was not let down. We arrived just after midnight and the young man who checked us in was quite welcoming. We settled into a spacious and clean room and slept quite well-- of the four hotels I was in over the past two weeks, this one had the most comfortable beds. Breakfast was continental fare-- complete with hard boiled eggs for those who prefer protein for breakfast. We just grabbed some coffee and reheated some food from the prior day since we had the refrigerator and microwave in our room. I would call this my ideal fly-by stay experience-- the room was ideal, and was the lowest rate I paid at any of the hotels I was in recently.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Great staff, hotel clean and nice. What a great experience since i was traveling solo with a dog that was going to a new home.What a great surprise was better than I had figured on. This is what all Rodeways should strive for!

Room Tip: Very nice..traveling with a dog and they were super nice!! Treated me with such respect, made me fee...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We booked in at 11pm not expecting much for the equivalent of £50 for the three of us and were very pleasantly surprised. The room was large, clean and cheerful with all the amenities you needed. The staff were friendly as well. From memory, it was the best of the interstate motels we stayed in travelling from LA to Chicago but perhaps the relief at finding somewhere nice so late added an extra gloss.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank solastcentury
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We usually don't stay at Rodeways but one review said it was OK so we gave it a try as it was a late night stop and an early departure. But to our surprise it was clean and efficient. And for the price it was certainly a good deal.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Preface: This was a last minute booking as I continued my drive across the country. I booked it through the choicehotels website for $55 plus tax for a single king bed. I have never stayed at a Rodeway Inn, since their reputation is, frankly, crap. However, the TripAdviser reviews and the fact it was already 11:30pm when I booked induced me to give this one a shot.

Arrival: I checked in very late, at 1:30am. I had to go to one of those safety windows, since the lobby was closed. The clerk was a young guy who didn’t seem to be overly familiar with all aspects of his job. I usually use a credit card to hold my room for the reservation and then pay cash when I check in. When I asked him if I could pay cash for the room, he replied he wasn’t sure they could do, and that I would have to ask someone in the morning. I’m pretty sure he just didn’t know how to refund the charge, but I was ok waiting till checkout to get it done (spoiler alert: it did not get done).

Accommodations: I opened the door to my room…to see 2 queen beds, not a king as I had booked. I didn’t bother to go back downstairs, as I was tired, and frankly I didn’t care; I just wanted to sleep for a few hours before resuming driving. The rooms were uber-basic: beds, table and chairs, old tube-style TV on a dresser. No microwave or fridge, although they did include an iron and ironing board. The rooms were done in off white and a rusty yellow color. The room was quite warm when I checked in, and the AC never really got it cooled down to my liking. The bathroom shower head was adjustable to 4 different setting; it’s too bad it was broken and wouldn’t adjust. At least the water was hot. Overall, the furniture and room were in pretty good shape; I’m guessing it had been replaced somewhat recently.

Cleanliness: Whoo boy, where do I start. This is why I gave this hotel such a low rating. I will freely admit I tend to be pickier than the average person when it comes to cleanliness, but I was surprised at the room conditions given the previous reviews. The sheets on one of the two beds had multiple different stains on them, including some unidentifiable black marks and very identifiable blood stains. Out of the six total pillows on both beds, I found ONE that was clean. Two had blood stains, two had hair on them, and I don’t even want to know what the heck was on the fifth one. The bathroom sink and tub both had hair still lying around, I found a long hair on the clean towels and there were smudges on the mirror. I probably should have complained at this point, but again, I was tired and just ready to crash for a few hours sleep.

My Stay: Once I got past the bloodstains on the bed, the dirty linens, the hair in the bathroom, and the fact the room remained warmer than I was comfortable with, my stay was short and uneventful. I didn’t sleep overly well, and woke up ready to leave.

Breakfast: Another disappointment. When I arrived at the breakfast area, they had left: bran muffins, 2 slices of white bread….and that’s about it. Now to be fair, I went down to the breakfast area about 15 minutes before it closed (it’s open till 9am), but from the looks of it there wasn’t a large selection to begin with. Even the 2% milk was gone. They did have cereal (although if you are picky about your cereal, be warned it’s all generic brands), and props have to be given for having a self-serve waffle making station. But on the whole I was unimpressed.

Extras: I believe there was a pool, but I (obviously) got there too late to use it. No workout room or hot tub to my knowledge.

Checkout: After loading my stuff in to the car, I went to the desk…to find the same clerk manning the desk. Not sure what happened, but it appears his relief never showed up. I asked about paying cash for the room, and he replied the charge had already been made and couldn’t be changed. I dunno if this is a Rodeway Inn thing or what, but I’ve never been in a hotel where I couldn’t pay for the room with cash after holding it with my card (Note: This IS often true with Priceline/Travelocity bookings, but as stated above I booked through the choicerewards website). After handing me my receipt, the clerk walked past me outside and proceeded to go sit on the curb and resume smoking. Guess I can’t blame him; if I’d been there as long as he probably had, I’d need a break too.

Summary: I’ve never stayed in a Rodeway Inn because I’ve always heard they were poorly run and often dirty. While the overall conditions of the room and its furnishings were ok, the cleanliness issues and poor customer service have convinced me not to try another one for quite a while regardless of its Trip Advisor ratings. I would NOT stay here again, and advise anyone else to avoid this hotel unless it’s a last resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo