“Great Experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sipapu Ski Area

Sipapu Ski Area
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Vadito
More attraction details
Owner description: New Mexico’s fastest growing resort, Sipapu is home to the state's longest ski season and the best deals in the Rockies. Surrounded by the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and Carson National Forest, the resort has over 40 trails, five lifts and three terrain parks. On-site amenities include slopeside lodging, a full-service ski shop, ski school and New Mexico's best riverside dining experience.
Norman, Oklahoma
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great Experience!”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My husband, teenage daughter and I skied here for 3 days over spring break. It was a great experience! The days were warm, but the freshly made snow and well groomed trails were great for us. It was a little icy in the morning and slushy in the afternoon, but that's to be expected in later March. We are not very experienced, so this small mountain was perfect for us. My husband was skiing the blues by day 2 and I felt comfortable enough by day 3. Our daughter stuck to the greens. The small size made it nice to feel comfortable with not feeling like we all had to stay together at all times. There were never any lines and the trails weren't crowded. The runs were very well marked, we never felt confused about which route to take. The staff was friendly and courteous. There was a nice picnic area at the base that we enjoyed eating our snacks and taking a breather at. We did not eat in the restaurant, but I did go buy milk there and they were very friendly. The only negative was the very slow process of renting our equipment. We stayed in Taos the first 2 nights and didn't get to Sipapu until 9:30 or so and it took over an hour to get our equipment. We finally hit the slopes at about 11:00. I would recommend getting there at 8am to be able to start skiing at 9:30 when the lifts open. The staff helping with equipment was friendly, but their process was inefficient. We tried out all of the lifts and skied just about all of the greens and blues. We will definitely go back here. The prices can't be beat!

Texas
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“If want a nice place to ski on a small budget, this is it!”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My teenage sons and I went skiing here during spring break. Although the warmest part of the day was in the 40s/50s, Sipapu did a great job making a lot of snow at night - when the temps dipped well below freezing. Each morning we arrived (3 days), the slopes were well groomed and ready to go. As I have told many people, if you are not wanting to spend the lift ticket prices that are pretty typical in Colorado, go here. The lift ticket price is worth every penny. The rental prices are excellent as well! I took my entire family here a few years ago, and if we lived a little closer, we would make it a yearly trip. Great place!

1 Thank Darren D
Robinson, TX
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Spring Break and no lift lines”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Took my family of 5 to Sipapu for Spring Break 2014. My two daughters had never skied and took a FREE "never ever" lesson with a wonderful ski instructor. The 1st afternoon they tackled the larger magic carpet and felt confident on the three practice slopes. By day three, they had gone on the main lift and cruised the entire mountain. This was my son's second ski trip and he was all over the mountain. I thought the size of the mountain offered enough variety for all levels of skiers and small enough I could track all my kids easily despite taking different runs. Ski instructors, lift operators and general staff were all friendly. My only complaint is on the first day they only had one person managing the ski school enrollment and we had to wait about 90 minutes to get rentals and enroll in ski school. The prices could not be beat, my 4th and 5th graders got free lift tickets and my lift ticket was $44 for an all day adult pass. I have skied most of the big resorts in Colorado and for spring skiing the snow was what you would expect (groomed runs in the morning but got icy and slushy in the afternoon). In the three days of skiing, I never had to wait in a lift line and it was nice to have a short walk to the car to haul in coolers for lunch. I will definitely return to Sipapu for future ski excursions. Only a 30 minute drive from Taos on clear, dry roads.

2 Thank BHfarnum
Brownsville, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“First timers arrived Saturday and skied through Monday afternoon”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

two adults with a 13, 11 and 7 year old, took the first timers class and then spent the three days alternating between the magic carpet lifts (conveyors), the smaller one is easy and good for learning to stop and turn, the longer conveyor takes you up to a place far enough that is challenging but not suicidal, you can follow three routes down from that point, cost was a daily $15 for the ski blades gear and $15 for the lift tickets. The instructor was patient and great at teaching the basics, the clerks were friendly and practically hold your hand through the gear fitting and paperwork, the staff that cleans the cabins were also very nice and helpful. We stayed at one of the suites, only downside was that it did not have a mircrowave, so we used a pan and the stove to heat everything (has stove, full size fridge and toaster). plenty of towels. If you are a first timer and on a budget this is the place to go, already planning our trip there next year.

Things I learned,
"Shell" type jackets and a hoodie from target work just as good as the $200 northface ski system jackets
Ski pants are a must, length doesn't matter much since they get bunched up by the boots, the type with suspenders are comfy (bought on sale at Academy for about $25), wear thermal underwear beneath.
Weatherproof gloves are not waterproof gloves, weatherproof WILL get soaked,
Bring a cooler with water bottles and leave it on the table, you won't feel it but you dehydrate fast.
Sunscreen is a must, I have a tan worthy of Acapulco
Goggles (ebay for $7) are better since they won't fly off when you fall, sunglasses with a holding band should work too
Soccer socks are perfect.

3 Thank SamZ4767SC
Taos, New Mexico
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Lazy lift operator wouldn't brush snow from ski chair”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

A few months ago at the beginning of this ski season, I rated Sipapu as a four star ski experience thanks to friendly personnel and a pretty decent mountain. Unfortunately, I have had to revise that rating based on a very unfortunate experience this winter. One of the tasks a lift operator generally performs is to brush snow off a ski chair's seat. This can be and usually is performed as the lift warms up prior to skiers getting on the lift, and is virtually always done after a storm. This prevents someone from having to sit on snow, which melts the snow as they ride up the mountain, causing the water to be absorbed into their clothing, basically ruining their day. Even if you have a layer of gore tex, the outer material gets wet, freezes, and transmits cold temps. into your gluteus muscles - muscles which need to be warm and stay warm for a good skiing experience.... After a storm had deposited a couple of inches of fresh snow, I went to Sipapu, looking forward to a relaxing day of skiing some fresh powder. I was shocked to see the chairs either covered with snow, or, where someone had already been up on a specific chair, covered by a wet area of melted snow shaped like a skier's bottom.... I politely asked the two attendants if they would brush the snow off my chair before I got on, and, to my astonishment, and with a sullen attitude, they said they didn't have a broom and wouldn't brush off the snow, despite there being a broom in plain sight by the lift shack's door. When I pointed the broom out, the one loading the chair told me to get ____ed and get off 'his' lift. When I got back down, I reported this to the general manager, who, to his credit, listened, and then came out to see which individuals were involved. However, I wish I hadn't purchased a season pass there, and will never go there again, since the employees obviously weren't skiers and didn't understand the consequences of their laziness, not to speak of their rudeness. My advice: go somewhere that the lift operators also ski. Those employees will understand all about presenting you with as clean and dry a chair as possible.

Visited February 2014