We had a great time. We stayed for 6 nights to relax and chill. At the end of those days I felt like I had been on vacation for a month, what a tremendously soothing and decelerating place to stay at. The accommodation was great and very much focused at the sea. All land activities are really just there to provide an opportunity to do something else if you don't want to go snorkelling or scuba diving. But why would you do that if you can walk to the beach in 15 minutes and go snorkelling right of the beach or at Lalanek which is just a 5 to 10 minute drive. The diving school right next to the facility provides scuba certification and the opportunity to dive (with or without a certified instructor) with some very amicable people.
The rooms (tents) are right in the woods and as a results there are many reptiles and insects around. Take your bug spray along as this is a malaria area (wouldn't bother with the malaria tablets though; more side effects than a chance of getting ill).
The new management, just there 2 weeks when we arrived, are getting into things and they have the potential to develop into a great new team as they spend more time in the facility and get. More familiar with day to day operations and the large team of staff. Everyone was super kind as we have come to expect in SA.
Birding is limited to finding the Rosy throated Longclaw and Senegal Lapwing. In camp the trees are too dense for most all birds with the exception of 3 types of bull bulls (dark capped, yellow bellied, and somber).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you're looking for fun, adventure and a place to put your feet up then you're heading to the right place. Rocktail Beach Camp, beautifully set within a lush region of forested dunes, is the launch pad to some of the most beautiful beaches and pristine coral reefs in the world. What's more, Rocktail has exclusive access to this area! Your charmingly rustic en-suite accommodation is hidden within the tropical shade of this woodland sanctuary and only a short walk from the main area which includes a dining room, lounge with a large wraparound veranda, children's playroom and swimming pool. With extraordinary diving and snorkelling, turtle encounters and other beach activities this breathtaking ecosystem is waiting to be explored. Did you know? Rocktail closes for a short period each year to host Children in the Wilderness camps - a programme dedicated to helping local children build life skills and a love for the environment. Coastal forest interspersed with grasslands and waterberry/palm savannah side by side with pristine beaches characterise Rocktail. Unspoiled reefs form part of the protected Maputaland Marine Reserve. As well as diving, snorkelling and seasonal turtle excursions, we offer cultural visits guided walks (on request). Considered one of the best dive sites in the world, whales, dolphins and sharks are found here, while the smaller critters include butterflyfish, clown triggerfish, surgeonfish, fire-goby and scissortail. Birding is outstanding, with a number of special coastal forest species. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your Wilderness Safaris Rocktail Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rocktail Beach Camp Hotel Maputaland Coastal Forest Reserve
- Wilderness Safaris Rocktail Camp South Africa/KwaZulu-Natal