“A perfect way to start”

andBeyond Phinda Mountain Lodge
Edmonton, Canada
“A perfect way to start”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Phinda Mountain Lodge was our first time to a game reserve and I can't think of a better way to start a vacation in South Africa. We drove from Durban and had no trouble finding the Lodge, and from the moment of arrival through to our departure after two nights everything was perfect. Staff were warm and welcoming, and our room was clean and well-appointed with all the usual amenities of a luxury hotel. Food was very good with lots of choice. The game drives were thrilling (cold mornings, but hot water bottles and blankets helped). Our ranger, Matt, was enthusiastic and knowledgeable and our tracker, Bongese, was equally so. We had so many interesting and exciting experiences, from watching a cheetah and her four cubs lounging about while they decided what to do about dinner, to witnessing a lion kill, to watching the cheeky monkeys as they looked for an opportunity to steal some food at the main lodge. Every game drive had a little surprise! This was truly a wonderful start to our South African safari and my only regret is that we hadn't booked for three nights.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
Vail, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I spent 4 nights here and loved it. I loved the suites and how they are scattered down the hillside amongst the vegetation. The bushbuck came and drank out of my plunge pool each day.

The game drives were amazing and I liked this location on the reserve better than Forest Lodge as we were able to go to the far south in the mountains looking for Black Rhino and Lions and Leopards. Ian was a fantastic guide.

The staff at the lodge were good. It is a bigger lodge so not quite as personal as I was used to, but it wasn't all that busy when I was there. I can see where it might be a different story during busy season when the lodge is full to capacity.

I can't say that they blew my mind but it was definitely a very good experience. As with pretty much any place, there is always room for improvement, but ultimately they are really good and I would go back if I find myself back in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nemophilist
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Phinda was the best safari I have ever been to. Their staff are the most friendly people and their wildlife is spectacular for example: during the first five minutes of the drive, we saw a cheetah with cubs. There are also animals in the lodge. You see nyala, vervet monkeys and baboons.
The whether was just the right whether for the stay. It is the most amazing holiday and I am happy to rate it 5 stars

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank ZackieFrodo
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The room was unique and elegant, food was outstanding, and the game drive was fabulous and full of animals.

Our ranger Divan was impressive; he was very friendly, patient, attentive and knowledgeable about 'everything' animals, bugs, plants, birds, snakes, . . .

I hope to go back one day!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

From the moment we arrived we felt like royalty.....the staff pay extreme detail to everything and I mean everything!!! From getting greeted on arrival to a lady waiting with fresh towels and cool ginger juice, and a guard to park our car and take our luggage to the room to the best food ever, the rooms, surprises (which I don't want to spoil for visitors but it's extraordinary) on the game drives, the ranger Ally, and our tracker Chris, to surprise bubble baths and candles lit on your return to your room....and the staff making every effort imaginable. I hadn't asked for any special diet but did mention at our first lunch if they perhaps had a gluten free bread roll that would be great....well from then on the chef ensured I had gluten free options at every meal ....including cupcakes at tea times..... We saw everything except cheetah despite tracking them effortlessly......WOW wow wow and we will be back for sure to try another lodge ! Worth every single penny and an experience of a lifetime!

Room Tip: Forest lodge has glass walls so you feel like you're in the forest......this lodge is in a sand...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Exdurban
Ballito, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Phinda as we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel so welcome. The room was breathtaking and the little extras like the welcome card, anniversary wishes, bubble baths in the evenings, electric blankets which were turned on in the evenings and the aircon which was turned on in the day, etc etc made us feel so welcome. Loved the outside shower and deck chairs where we could enjoy the afternoon sun and even take a dip in the spashpool outside our chalet, let alone the game which came and greeted us and drank water from our pool outside our chalet, enabling us to get so close we could touch them. The staff were so friendly and the food was absolutely delicious. Thank you Paolo for showing us some of our trophies we donated. Please remember to let us have the photos of the others. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11 which was so private and spacious. Loved it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanda Safari
Thanda Safari
#1 of 1 in Thanda Private Game Reserve
Leopard Mountain Safari Lodge

Been to andBeyond Phinda Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!