“Not what we were expecting. Bit boring.”

Shark Diving Unlimited
More attraction details
Owner description: Shark Diving Unlimited specialises in conservation and education initiatives of all shark species around our coastline Owned by Michael Rutzen who has been working with great white sharks since 1994. Four years later Mike began freediving with great white sharks and is now known worldwide as one of the few people who is able to interact with these magnificent predators outside the safety of the cage!Breathtaking images of Mike have been featured in numerous magazines and documentaries including BEYOND FEAR (National Geographic) and SHARKMAN (Discovery). Mike’s aim is to portray positive images of great white sharks in order to dispel the ‘JAWS’ myth.Mike is a PADI Instructor and the only person in the world qualified to teach the prestigious Great White Shark Distinctive Specialty PADI course. He is a qualified skipper, First Aid instructor, qualified rebreather, nitrox and commercial diver. Your skipper Frank Rutzen has spent his life on the ocean from Kwa-Zulu Natal to the Western Cape. He has worked in the great white shark cage diving industry since 1995 and has a passion for wildlife and an extensive knowledge of the Dyer Island marine ecosystem.Nsunda is a qualified South African tour guide and qualified scuba diver. He will help you with all your diving equipment needs and make sure that your day runs smoothly!Shark Diving Unlimited was the company of choice for HRH Prince Harry, His Majesty King Abdullah II Ibn Al Hussein, Leonardo Di Caprio and Brad Pitt.
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I get it, these guys need to create a culture of shark love, or they'd go out of business. But they were a bit heavy on the "have you signed the petition against shark-culling in Australia???" Bit heavy on the "sharkman" idolisation of their founder. We were their to do a shark dive and that bit was light on. They enticed the shark in close to the boat with a tuna head and lots of burley, they tried hard but the visibility is poor- you get a better view from the boat. The shark swam past, it took all of three seconds and, well, that's about it.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"beautiful creatures"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I managed to do a cage dive with this company in Gaansbai. I was very impressed with the professionalism and service. Within 5 minutes of arriving at our location we had the first whites circling and in our time out there we had 5 to 6 different sharks

1  Thank blue356sc
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We chose to go on this trip as part of our honeymoon, and I must say it was well worth it! My wife although in her own words "Doesn't do boat trips" thoroughly enjoyed her experience. The team were amazing with outstanding service. We were collected from our door, taken to Gansbaai for the trip and returned back to our door. Shark diving is an interaction with nature so just take into account that you may (or may not) see lots of sharks - And you could also see anything from small sharks up to a whopping 6 metre shark! (just keep an open mind). The boat crew were really good and answered any questions you had well. Heinrich (I think that was his name) was our dive master for the morning, he also filmed our experience and made the day memorable with his good humour. Special thanks to not only Heinrich but also to Chris, who went out of his way for us to drop out the DVD of our trip to our front door in Blouberg.
I would thoroughly recommend using Shark Diving Unlimited for your shark dive experience!!!!

1  Thank modest_jon
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Our experience on this trip was fine - I didn't get in the water but my partner did and he loved it. I had a perfect view of the sharks from the top of the boat and got some great photos, so I was happy not to get in the water. We were given refreshments before, during, and after the trip which was appreciated. We were joined on the trip by the band Major Lazer which was quite entertaining - made for quite a crowded boat but that was fine. The guy who took the tour was good at explaining the process of teasing the sharks with fish guts and a fish head, and it paid off when we had some sharks come up and steal the heads from the rope. Overall, it wasn't the most adrenalin filled experience, and was a long day, but a great opportunity to see these amazing creatures in their natural habitat. They are enormous!

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My husband, myself and my 21 and 18 year old went to Gansbaii on 31 Dec to do the shark cage dive. On arrival we were greeted warmly and given a good breakfast and got to watch videos of Mike Rutzen swimming with sharks and to read his research results. Not everyone in my family was convinced they actually wanted to go in the cage until we actually went out in the boat and got our first spectacular view of the sharks from above and saw how safe the cage actually was.
The trip was amazing. We were so close to the sharks on board the boat and even closer under the water! The sea visibility was not brilliant so actually being above water for viewing was perfect but being in the water was very exciting and scary. So much so that many of us wanted a second chance to get in the cage. Snacks and drinks were provided on board and a video was made during our trip which you could choose to buy on our return after viewing while having a hearty lunch. The trip was a hit for all the family. I organised it through Extreme Scenes and will definitely do it again when I visit South Africa. They tell me June is best for visibility. A piece of advice though …bring sea sick tablets.We were advised and didn't bother but waiting for each group to take their turn can be a bit rocky on board.