“Unable to feel the excitement over the sickness ....”

Shark Diving Unlimited
More attraction details
Owner description: Shark Diving Unlimited specialises in conservation and education initiatives of all shark species around our coastline Owned by Michael Rutzen who has been working with great white sharks since 1994. Four years later Mike began freediving with great white sharks and is now known worldwide as one of the few people who is able to interact with these magnificent predators outside the safety of the cage!Breathtaking images of Mike have been featured in numerous magazines and documentaries including BEYOND FEAR (National Geographic) and SHARKMAN (Discovery). Mike’s aim is to portray positive images of great white sharks in order to dispel the ‘JAWS’ myth.Mike is a PADI Instructor and the only person in the world qualified to teach the prestigious Great White Shark Distinctive Specialty PADI course. He is a qualified skipper, First Aid instructor, qualified rebreather, nitrox and commercial diver. Your skipper Frank Rutzen has spent his life on the ocean from Kwa-Zulu Natal to the Western Cape. He has worked in the great white shark cage diving industry since 1995 and has a passion for wildlife and an extensive knowledge of the Dyer Island marine ecosystem.Nsunda is a qualified South African tour guide and qualified scuba diver. He will help you with all your diving equipment needs and make sure that your day runs smoothly!Shark Diving Unlimited was the company of choice for HRH Prince Harry, His Majesty King Abdullah II Ibn Al Hussein, Leonardo Di Caprio and Brad Pitt.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

What could have been an amazing experience was marred by the fact that half the boat got sick enough to provide the chum! Knowing I was likely to get sick, I took three doses of medication prior to going out, yet I was still one of the many horribly affected by the huge swells. We saw many great whites, but it was difficult to feel the excitement over the sickness. This doesn't take away from the fact that the crew was excellent! The free food before and after the trip was unexpected and very good. My suggestion: Expect to get sick and be prepared! Do not get into the boat without taking some sort of motion sickness medication! An ounce of prevention might help ....

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Professional company, no complaints there. Free food before and After. We saw MANY sharks, but there's no real adrenaline and it's hard to see underwater even with mask. Plus, they chum the waters constantly, so you get nasty fish guts in your mouth. Also beware seasickness, it took out half of my friends.

3  Thank nhauser89
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was one of the best experiences of my life. The whole trip was amazing! The team we had that brought us out was fantastic. You have no idea how amazing and exciting it is to be face to face with a Great White. I wish we were able to go out for a second trip before we left beautiful South Africa. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

2  Thank Katrina O
Reviewed 21 May 2014

A very good company, which provided all the information and structure we needed for a very enjoyable afternoon. You can not ensure there will be lots of sharks just hanging out and waiting for you, but that´s part of the game, and having that consciousness just make the moment you spot then much nicer!

We saw about 5 or 6 sharks during 2 or 3 hours, not much and had some moments looking really hard for those guys. The boat crew really struggled changing our place and trying to attract them all the time. People say it´s better to go for the morning dive, the sea is flatter (less sickness) and there is more shark activity. But even tought we can´t complain, we could see a 5 meter shark swimming around our boat, a really impressive moment. And the diving was amazing, to be in the cage is a really fantastic experience, because under the water the sharks are not just closer, but also they look bigger!

Very important to say Shark Diving Unlimited is also a reliable company, for a misunderstanding I was overbooked for the dvd diving, and just realised that when was back to Brazil. So I let them know about it, and a few days later I got a refund on my credit card statement. And we should agree there are lots of companies around the world who would just not return my email or make up any excuse. These guys are really out of the curve, and for sure I´d recommend them to anyone.

1  Thank leolazzaro
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This was the highlight of our South African trip. Going down in a cage with massive Great White sharks circling you. Just incredible. Still remember the guide yelling Down, Down, Down, and being face to face with a great white shark. Unbelievable.

2  Thank Qtfisherman