“Great experiance; one of the instructors was borderline offensive”

Sharklady Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sharklady Adventures offers small exclusive shark diving trips and educational tours twice daily. This means that the trip is more informative AND you’ll have more time in the cage.Sharklady Adventures is a permit holding shark cage diving company run by Kim 'Sharklady' Maclean. Kim pioneered shark cage diving in South Africa in 1992 and is committed to being a responsible and eco-friendly operation. We do not interfere with the sharks and we do not pollute the environment. Sharklady Adventures complies with the strictest code of conduct and safety for our clients, our boat, and the great white sharks, as laid down by local Marine & Coastal Management.Sharklady Adventures conserve and protect the sharks and all marine life on our coastline. We are dedicated to creating awareness of Great White Sharks through education, especially to the local children who are the future of our country.
tiantang
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Great experiance; one of the instructors was borderline offensive”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Shark diving experience was great. Very safe. Saw 4 or 5 great whites. We went in November where the visibility was not great.

Note:

- unlike experiences in other countries, you only see great white sharks (and not smaller, less impressive sharks that you would see in other countries); and

- you don't scuba dive; you merely hold your breath and submerge in water. No oxygen tank involved. I think this is standard.

One dive instructor had an acerbic humour which at times was borderline offensive and/or racist.

A nice breakfast is included.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank tiantang

Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome Awesome Awesome!”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

It took me about 10 months to convince my wife to go with me on the shark diving trip….lol She eventually gave in and with excellent communication between myself and Tanya Haddon we chose a perfect day to do the trip. We had some nice breakfast and listened to our guide with great excitement! Took only 15min to get to our destination and about an hour before we saw our 1st shark. At the end of the day we saw 10 different great white sharks with a few of them over the 4m mark! My wife was very nervous but at the end of the day she enjoyed it very very much! I took a nice video of our experience, one that we will never forget! The best part was when a 4m+ white slammed right into the cage while we were in it! I was lucky to go into the cage for a 2nd time…awesome stuff!!!

Thanks again for a trip of a lifetime!

Wikus & Melissa

1 Thank Wikus778
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A Most Exhilarating Experience!”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My fiance and I booked a shark diving trip with Shark Lady whilst staying in Cape Town. This really was an amazing experience! We were picked up from our hotel early to begin the couple of hours drive to Gansbaai to begin the adventure. On arrival we were given breakfast, fairly basic but did the job and the leader Lance, talked us through the days events and showed us a brief video of what to expect, addressing any concerns from the group. After breakfast, we set off for the boat. It only took around 15 mins or so to get to the location where we would be diving. We had a short wait before we saw any sharks although not too long and this is to be expected in the wild. There were 18 in our group and we were split into 4 groups with each group having 15-20 mins in the cage. Wetsuits and masks were provided. My girlfriend was a little nervous but Lance put her at ease, assuring her that she could come out again if she didn't like it - although she loved it and would have happily stayed in longer! Absolutely amazing, once in a lifetime experience. The water wasn't too cold at all for us from the UK! We had a really mixed group in terms of age and nervousness and all had an amazing time.

Upon return to the lodge, we had lovely hot lentil soup and watched the DVD that one of the crew had just recorded. You have an opportunity to buy this and we did as it shows what sharks you saw so you can remember your experience (not that you could easily forget!)

Absolutely recommend to anyone. Tip from my girlfriend - if you're not tall enough to reach the standing bar in the cage as advised just hold onto the top of the cage, directly above you only (speak to Lance about this), and duck when needed to see the sharks :)

Thanks Shark Lady tours!!

1 Thank BraytonNixon
devon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“great experiance”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

loved everthing about this trip great people running it and the sharks were awesome nothing to much trouble and a bowl of hot soup afterward

1 Thank borisDevon
Durham, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Viewed many sharks but booked with a different operator.”
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

I booked whilst in the UK with "go shark diving" operator ..they sent me an enail detailing the trip and told me that pick up was half 5 am and we would get oxygen equipment and training on arrival. The day before I got an email saying pick up was 11am (good job there was wifi at my hotel)
We arrived at sharklady shark diving which left me confused but still we got a good talk before hand about what we were doing. Thats when we got told that we would not received oxygen and would have to hold our breaths in the cage because supposidly the bubbles off the oxygen scares the sharks?
We went on the boat and went 5 miles out to sea and obviously due to nature it took about at hour n a half to see a shark. I got incredible seasick when it was my turn to go in the cage. So my dad went in as i was being sick but only stayed in thr cage a few minutes as he says holding your breath was pain because by the time you held your breath and ducked into the water the shark had gone. Slighly disappointed at that as oxygen would give you more time to focus. I also thought that was one of the main reasons the price is so high but Any way we did view about 5 sharks and it was a good experience apart from being sick, but least the fish got fed ha.

Visited September 2013