“We,re gonna need a bigger boat!”

Great White Shark Tours
Shark Cage Diving and Viewing in Kleinbaai
Ranked #1 of 21 Tours in Gansbaai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The owner and founder Brian McFarlane is a professional diver and skipper who has always made a living from the sea. He started diving for perlemoen (abalone) at a young age, then moved on to become a commercial fisherman for 6 years and spent another 6 years diving in search of wrecks along the southern coast of Africa. This was followed by the diving for diamonds from the sea-bed for the next 20 years.He has become a local legend with his fascinating tales about the sea and underwater experiences. During the time when Great White Shark fishing was allowed, Brian caught Great Whites, some weighing more than 1 tonne.Today, he dearly regrets this and now spends his time and efforts in finding the great beasts to be observed and photographed at close range. Brian has worked with the Great Whites for 18 years and has only had 6 non-sighting days in the last 10 years.
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Fantastic set up. Everyone was very friendly and knew what they we,re doing. What an experience, everyone should try it even if you don't think it's for you. Got some great photos and they do a video of your day for memories sake ( for a small fee). Best of all, I come back with everything I went with ie arms and legs. Great day!

2  Thank Chris M

Reviewed 30 May 2012

My husband & I did this shark cage diving excursion in mid-May. We had a very smooth experience from booking (very prompt e-mail response to our inquiry), pick-up/drop-off at our Cape Town hotel to our shark diving experience.

The conditions were perfect for our trip - not a cloud in the sky, 10m visibility, calm waters. We got the prescription seasickness patches, so no problems there. Only one guy on the boat got sick, but I think it was from salt water intake. There were 18 people in our group & I think 16 people got into the cage (2 groups of 8). We were in group 2, but got to stay in the water for as long as we wanted (I stayed in 45 minutes, my husband probably around 90 minutes!) b/c most people from group 1 didn't want to go back in & some people from our group got out early, probably b/c of the cold temps.

Now for the dive itself - WOW!!! As a person who is terrified of, yet fascinated by, great white sharks & watch all the Discovery Channel Shark Week specials, this was at the very top of my "bucket list". Still, the experience exceeded all expectations. We saw probably 6+ sharks, the largest being about 5 1/2 meters. At first, it was kind of slow going, none of the sharks was really staying around & the water was really cold, but then one medium sized shark & two really large ones stuck around for a while! They got crazy close - like if I stuck my arm out of the cage (I didn't & you're not allowed to), I could've touched them at times. They never acted aggressively, just kind of cruised slowly by, so I could see their eyes & teeth up close. I didn't want the experience to end! Great white sharks are such beautiful & magnificent creatures - I am now staunchly in the conservation corner & believe we must do everything we can to protect them.

We're so happy we got to meet Brian McFarlane - what a great, down-to-earth & funny guy. The rest of the crew & staff were great as well! Breakfast & treats were served before & after the boat ride, but we were so amped up, we couldn't eat.

Highly recommend the experience to anyone & everyone!

4  Thank TX_Longhorn99
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This was the perfect trip to see these magnificent creatures! I booked through sharkbookings.com, where Chanya was very helpfull with selecting a good tour operator.

I'm glad I went with Great White Shark tours. A nice breakfast was served before departure, we got a good briefing about what to expect and the crew was very knowledgeable, answering all our questions. I was clear they are passionate about the sharks.

The boat (Apex Predator) is very big, so even though we were with a group of 28, the boat didn't feel crowded.
Another nice thing: we each got our own wetsuit, so you didn't have to wiggle in and out a wet one for each dive.

Groups of 7 went into the cage for at least '10 good looks' (sharks swimming very close), before they changed the groups. Everyone got the change to go in at least twice. I even went in 3 times. While waiting (and warming up) for the next dive in the cache, there where drinks,snacks and sandwiches and you could enjoy the sharks from a whole different perspective on top of the boat. Also awesome to see.

If you can, bring an underwatercamera! There's a videogapher capturing the sharks above and below the water as well, but I was very happy I brought my little Panasonic Lumix FT3 and share my pics with the rest of the group.

After the trip, there's coffee, tea and cookies while you watch the video of the day.

As soon as I get back to South Africa, I'm going again!

3  Thank Prauw
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Incredible experience, may not fit everyone, but my son and I enjoyed it a lot, despite the very cold waters. Bring an step camera so you do not miss this unique breathtaking experience.

1  Thank Sergio D
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My family and I (seven people with kids aged from 8 to 18) joined Brian and his crew aboard the Apex Predator. We enjoyed the entire experience, the crew was fantastic and very helpful, Brian was a wealth of knowledge and information, the administration team was very professional and the sharks were unbelievable. During our holiday in South Africa we actually had the opportunity to shark dive on two occasions. On both occasions we saw numerous great whites. This was certainly one adventure that my entire family enjoyed. If your looking for a once in a life experience then join these guys for a fantastic day.