“A Delightful State Park Campground on the Pecos River”

Villanueva State Park
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We were in space 19, in the lower campground, right on the Pecos River. This was a delightful State Park. We were there in May, on a weekday. Hardly anyone there. We were a bit concerned from other reviews we had read, about noise and partying, but it was quiet, I guess due to it being a weekday. Wildlife abounds on the trails, and a great trail system it is. The campsite was level (important for the RV fridge), clean, and there was even chopped firewood left for us (by a ranger, I presume), and we had a nice fire at night in the fire ring. The campground host was very friendly and informative, and opened the visitor center for us early, just because he thought we wanted an early look. Our adobe-looking shelter over the picnic bench in the space provided shade from the sun. This State Park is a wonderful spot, full of Spanish and Native American history, wildlife, trails, fishing, and friendly staff. I highly recommend it! The best spots need to be reserved online before arriving, especially on the weekends or peak seasons. However, we reserved ours in advance, and likely didn't need to. It's $10 extra to reserve online. Don't miss the Villanueva Village, On the way in, if you're taking the South road. It's like going back in time. The Upper Loop campground was completely empty during our stay.

5  Thank banyannook

Reviewed 7 November 2012

We just bought a travel trailer and decided to travel about 100 miles from home for an overnight 'shake down' cruise. I've passed the exit to Villanueva on I-25 many times and finally decided to visit. Driving down from the north you pass wonderful Spanish villages with great character and history. The park itself was very clean, quiet and, this fall, with the cottonwoods in full color. The hiking is great and we found the host and rangers to be very engaging and friendly. Maybe it's too loud in summer, but fall is a great time to visit. We'll definitely be back.

5  Thank carylanddon
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The campground itself is beautiful, we have been there twice now in hopes that the first time was just a random occurrence of it being run chaotically, but the rangers and campground host do not enforce the campground rules during peak season, the noise and folks visiting are inconsiderate of others who have come to enjoy nature and not midnight screaming and music. The campground was completely full yesterday, some campsites were even being shared, yet nobody was turned down after all spots were taken and the next morning every possible grass area had RVs and tents on it, in possibly 10 areas that were not designated campsites, the "day use" area was being used as a campsite overnight, i.e. if folks were to just come for the day, they'd be out of luck, the toilets were completely unsanitary with no toilet paper due to the campground being at 4-5x its capacity.
It would be a beautiful space if the rules were being observed and the quiet hours between 10-7 were being honored. If you want to rest though, go elsewhere or in offseason. If you enjoy all night noise though, go there in July.

6  Thank Lisa13_12
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Our first motorhome trip was to this New Mexico State Park. Located only about an hour from our home we decided that was the best choice for our first trip. The park was completely full when we arrived at 5:30 PM on a Friday evening. However, the upper campground El Cerro had been closed for the season and had it been open, there would have been room. The camp host was gracious enough to find us an undesignated place to park for the night, and was able to find us an official site the next day. The park has something for everyone, trails, a playground for the kids, the Pecos river for fly fishing, electrical and non electrical hookups, some with fire rings, showers and restrooms and a visitors center. Make reservations though if you can....it seems to be a very busy place. See site photos at www.campsitephotos.com and a detail of one of the trails at my site www.tripswithtwo.com

3  Thank MeMovieGal
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I can deal with and endure a lot of things. Sometimes, it is good to go back to the basics so you can appreciate the things you already have and taken for granted.

I can sleep on the ground, on thin inflatable mattress. I can sleep with make shift pillow made from piled up dirty clothes. I can go without showering every day. I can deal with no TV, no radio, no stereo, no computer for days.

I can even deal with some bugs and flies. But not a swarm of flies. And swarm of flies was what Villanueva State Park had when we stayed there in August 2011. We were planning to stay there two nights, but we cut it short to one. All because of the flies.

I am not joking. Our camp site was invested with flies. See the pictures of my CRV tires. The flies seemed to like it. I was bitten by horse flies many times. We could not seem to keep flies out of our tent -- with the kids going in and out of it. In fact, we packed some home with us in our tent, because it was impossible to get them out of our tent. Yuck.

Aside from the flies, the park offered a nice accessible river and a beautiful view. My kids had fun playing in the river. Had it not because of the flies, we would have had a much nicer time.

3  Thank gstjio