“Hiking trails”

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Hiking trails”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The park ranger was a bit surprised when I said I was there strictly for hiking. I went on the Viewpoint Loop Trail and loved it! It's about 2 miles long and just enough of a work out for this slightly overweight, slightly out of shape person! You go up, be sure to look for the short staircase overlooking the view at the top, level out for a bit, walk thru sand and then hike down. Beware of loose rocks and steps that were a little treacherous. Took me about 2 hours which included lunch, photos and rest at the top.

I also hiked the El Cerro Trail which is a little less than a mile. Steep incline at the start then it is a gentle climb to the overlook point. Much easier than Viewpoint Loop. Took me about 45 minutes to hike, including photos and a little exploring at the top.

I went on a Monday. I saw no one else on the trails. It was very quiet, very peaceful and the views worth the hike.

I did not stay the night but the campgrounds looked nice. Each campsite had a picnic table and at many, the tables were covered and surrounded on three sides by adobe or stone walls.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank 13SS

Las Vegas, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Peaceful”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

The park is very clean and the noise level is low. The park rangers were very nice and gave us lots of history about the area. Sad that the river has been so dry but we had a great time there anyway.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Annette G
Pahoa, Hawaii
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“A Delightful State Park Campground on the Pecos River”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We were in space 19, in the lower campground, right on the Pecos River. This was a delightful State Park. We were there in May, on a weekday. Hardly anyone there. We were a bit concerned from other reviews we had read, about noise and partying, but it was quiet, I guess due to it being a weekday. Wildlife abounds on the trails, and a great trail system it is. The campsite was level (important for the RV fridge), clean, and there was even chopped firewood left for us (by a ranger, I presume), and we had a nice fire at night in the fire ring. The campground host was very friendly and informative, and opened the visitor center for us early, just because he thought we wanted an early look. Our adobe-looking shelter over the picnic bench in the space provided shade from the sun. This State Park is a wonderful spot, full of Spanish and Native American history, wildlife, trails, fishing, and friendly staff. I highly recommend it! The best spots need to be reserved online before arriving, especially on the weekends or peak seasons. However, we reserved ours in advance, and likely didn't need to. It's $10 extra to reserve online. Don't miss the Villanueva Village, On the way in, if you're taking the South road. It's like going back in time. The Upper Loop campground was completely empty during our stay.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank banyannook
Corrales, New Mexico
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Wonderful for the 'shoulder' seasons”
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We just bought a travel trailer and decided to travel about 100 miles from home for an overnight 'shake down' cruise. I've passed the exit to Villanueva on I-25 many times and finally decided to visit. Driving down from the north you pass wonderful Spanish villages with great character and history. The park itself was very clean, quiet and, this fall, with the cottonwoods in full color. The hiking is great and we found the host and rangers to be very engaging and friendly. Maybe it's too loud in summer, but fall is a great time to visit. We'll definitely be back.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank carylanddon
Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“too much noise, rangers not enforcing rules, horrible toilets”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The campground itself is beautiful, we have been there twice now in hopes that the first time was just a random occurrence of it being run chaotically, but the rangers and campground host do not enforce the campground rules during peak season, the noise and folks visiting are inconsiderate of others who have come to enjoy nature and not midnight screaming and music. The campground was completely full yesterday, some campsites were even being shared, yet nobody was turned down after all spots were taken and the next morning every possible grass area had RVs and tents on it, in possibly 10 areas that were not designated campsites, the "day use" area was being used as a campsite overnight, i.e. if folks were to just come for the day, they'd be out of luck, the toilets were completely unsanitary with no toilet paper due to the campground being at 4-5x its capacity.
It would be a beautiful space if the rules were being observed and the quiet hours between 10-7 were being honored. If you want to rest though, go elsewhere or in offseason. If you enjoy all night noise though, go there in July.

Visited July 2012