“OK campground, but had a creepy vibe”
Review of Whites City Resort

Whites City Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Whites City
Whites City Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Whites City
Sf Bay Area
“OK campground, but had a creepy vibe”
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I spent two nights in the campground while visiting the caverns. Overall the campground is ok. Its got flush toilets, and showers, potable water throughout the property. But something just felt off about the place. Perhaps it was the fact that during peak tourist season, this campground was literally just outside the national park entrance, yet was mostly empty. Also, one night I returned to my campsite to find some weird religious ceremony being performed at one of the campsites. These people were wearing white robes, carrying lanterns, and were playing this funky new age music. As soon as they saw me, they packed up their stuff and left.

Anyway, while the campground does have wifi, its very slow, and has a super weak signal. I couldn't get any signal at all unless I was at one end of the campground (which happened to be farthest from my site), and even then, the connection dropped out every few minutes.

The place is a bit pricey too for a tent site ($23.50/night), yet it its still cheaper than other campground which are much further away.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank netllama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kansas
Reviewed 8 June 2012

There might be a better tent camping area somewhere within 50 miles, but I haven't see it yet and am always open to suggestions. The tent camping area has more handily available facilities than most I've come across. Water within a stride, bathrooms close, and even showers. And a short walk brings you to Restaurant, Gift Shop, and Grocery. The employees I've met are all very nice and friendly. There are sometimes even mule deer that eat the green grass and bats that eat the bugs around the night lights. I stayed there for weeks never tiring of watching the bats' acrobatics in the air. There is even a walk path in the back that leads to the caverns some 6 miles away within 2hrs, but not something I'd want to do on a hot day. Negatives? Some people don't like the security night lights, there was a problem with the plumbing due to camper misuse, the camping feels a little pricy(But I still think #1 at a fast food place should be under $5. And when I asked about the price it was explained to me about the abuse of property that some disrespectful campers cause.) and it does have more available than other places that are 1/2 as much in the middle of nowhere, people leave the doors to the camp bathroom open and the lights on it attracts moths, and of course the water slide and pool nearby is not year round. That's as objective as I can be to give people all the info they need since I enjoyed my stay more than I expected to. From what I understand, it continues to undergo renovation from year to year since the current owner took it over a few years back, and was in severe disrepair when he got it. And judging from the old reviews I don't doubt it. I should like to see what he accomplishes in another couple years. If you stay here after 2012, please let me know how it is and what is new. If you doubt my observations, spend 15 minutes checking it out for yourself when you come through.

Room Tip: Under the trees.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TomTom1966
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 October 2009

First unsure to make a reservation because of the previous reviews but afterwards lucky that we did and positively surprised!

First of all, White’s City is a very convenient location to visit Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains National Parks. We were accommodated in Walnut Inn. The room was spacious and very quiet and clean. The restaurant was very good. The salad bar had a variety of stuff to choose from and the meals were delicious. The staff of motel and restaurant were very friendly. Furthermore, the premises was well tended.
We were very glad we decided to stay in White’s City and we would definitively stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank pika_candid_reviews
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 October 2009

White’s City is a great location to reach both National Parks Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains. We stayed in Walnut Inn. The room was spacious and absolutely quiet and clean. The staff of the motel was very friendly. The restaurant (JJ’s) was very good and the staff was very friendly as well.
We did not have any of the following problems in the room neither burning holes in the carpet nor non-working lamps nor locks who don't lock properly as mentioned in previous reviews. Be honest, these problems occur in other hotels and motels as well. That’s because the housekeepers (maids) are not very reliable – all over the states. Those things are no reason not to stay in White’s City. There’s no better place to stay for those parks. By the way motels and hotels in Carlsbad don’t have good reviews. White’s City is the foundation place of Carlsbad Caverns. This place has deserved to survive. But all of you travelers have to do your part. Walnut Inn is a motel as good as others in the US.
We were very happy that we stayed in White’s City and we would definitively return.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank friends_of_nature
austin
Reviewed 24 June 2009

OK, I read all the bad reviews about this place. However, I look at motels/hotels in this price range as a PLACE TO LAY MY HEAD at night. And the fact that it was closest to the caverns got my interest.

Also, we had 3 kids (7,9,17) and they have a small clean waterpark in the middle of a hot area. They also have a very clean indoor putt-putt area in the lobby. You get one game free, others are $5. But you wont see a cleaner (or AIR CONDITIONED!!) putt-putt course anywhere. Our young ones are crazy over putt-putt so they jumped up and down excited (and we knew $20 bucks just left our wallet)--- no lines, we didnt have to hurry when the 7 yr old took 12 turns to get it in the hole....the lobby, btw, is across the street from the hotel / waterpark. Several reviewers don't like this? --- it is MUCH closer than some lobbies in large hotels, and it is a nice big clean lobby with internet, arcade, putt-putt....if you need something you don't walk to the lobby anyway -- you CALL. There were employees walking around anyway, we just asked them for towels and got them 10 minutes later.

I called and tried to speak to the NEW owner several times before we even left Texas. He didn't even know what Trip Advisor was; neither did the staff. I wanted to talk to him about changes he has made and possibly highlight some of them.

You are LITERALLY sitting outside the caverns if you stay here. I would absolutely stay there again. Grounds were clean, room wa sclean, staff was nice.

If you are driving in from far away with youngsters, then I'd plan to arrive early to use the WATERPARK that closes at 7pm. You only get one day use (pool is currently drained due to state regulation about drainage system but so are several other pools in the area) ----- there is a small pirate-ship, a mushroom that pours water and 2 water slides. We had them all to ourself! We had to drag the kids away to go watch the bats. Shade trees, picnic tables, plenty of lounge chairs. I will add pics later.

I give this place excellent because it WAS excellent for what we wanted/needed for our family. As little driving as possible and a waterpark for the kids. Standard restauran on grounds (usually closes at 8:30pm, so HURRY back from watching bats at night!!) ----- or take food in (we would've picnicked on hotdogs if we ad known) -----

Overall, I don't know how it was before this pwner. But we liked it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
10 Thank texastravelAustin
the US
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Stayed in RV parking. was charged twice for one nite's stay. Better accomodations at Carlsbad. The store staff not real friendly. Hotel person who overcharged me, very friendly?
Was told is under NEW managment, but they have a LONG ways to go!

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kosher1

Travellers are raving about these Whites City hotels

rochester, new york
Reviewed 24 March 2009

The hotel is close to the caverns, and so is sort of stuck out in the middle of no where. It was clean, but had no refrig. or microwave. The restaurant is ok - somewhat limited menu. We stayed there 4 nights and were pretty satisfied.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
La Quinta Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Candlewood Suites Carlsbad South Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Fairfield Inn & Suites Carlsbad

Been to Whites City Resort? Share your experiences!