“Outstanding breakfast; gorgeous stained glass”
Review of Cactus Cafe

Cactus Cafe
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican, American
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bryan, TX
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding breakfast; gorgeous stained glass”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

With a captive audience of Carlsbad Caverns tourists, my expectations were modest for a good breakfast. Cactus Cafe proved me oh-so-wrong, serving up one of the best breakfasts I've eaten in 25 years! My chorizo, cheese, egg, potato, and green chile burrito came through with an optimum balance of flavor, picante, and comfort. Gotta love those New Mexico chiles. My niece's Mexican breakfast with perfectly cooked and seasoned refried beans and eggs was equally delicious. Bonus: gorgeous stained glass windows of Carlsbad Cavern formation and a red rock butte. Ample portions, but we did not want to miss a bite (and did not trust the usual restaurant styrofoam box to such delicious leftovers, so I walked 500 feet back to Rodeway Inn to fetch some zipper bags from our vehicle to securely stow the leftovers in our cooler.

• Visited December 2013

na
“Just don't go, unless you like salt or dog food.”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Drove 9 hours and finally got to the hotel in white's city, I was naturally hungry. The roads where icy so i didn't want to drive up to Carlsbad. So I drive up the street to "the cactus cafe" I ordered the burger my wife, the chicken fingers. The burger was clearly a frozen burger that someone decide to season with 2 pounds of salt, the chicken fingers where over fried and tasted burnt, they literally tasted like my dogs food (Blue Essentials chicken which is great dog food but not great human food), when i got back to the hotel i ate some dog food to compare, they tasted the same. I finished the night by washing my mouth out with scotch. To surmise, don't go, if you have high blood pressure don't go it will kill you. Almost forgot the waitress also added extra tip, only $2 but still.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Clayton P
Berkley,MA
“It's not white tablecloth...but”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

After visiting the caverns we took a chance and stopped here for a late lunch. The buffet was not open so we opted for burgers. It a nice quaint place that was clean with pretty good food. It was not very crowed so I took my time looking at the letter embossed picture of famous Indians and frontier men. The best part was our waitress who just a pleasure to deal with. You get what you pay for and this restaurant proves the point.

• Visited November 2013
Joshua, Texas
“Good food”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This was very good food for a National Park vendor and the prices were reasonable. Not having to leave the park to get food allowed us to spend more time in the caves.

Visited October 2013
lubbock
“Not a lot to choose from”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We didn't go hungry, but the menu is very slim, mostly fried, cafeteria type food. The food was good, though, and hot, and the waitress was really pleasant. There was no buffet when we were there. And, they don't serve alcohol anymore.

• Visited October 2013