Ngoma Safari Lodge
Kwalape Safari Lodge(Chobe National Park)
US$33
Hotels.com
  • Pool
andBeyond Savute Under Canvas(Chobe National Park)(Great Value!)
US$1,230
SA Hotels
  • Bar/Lounge
Chobe Elephant Camp(Chobe National Park)
US$990
Jumia Travel
  • Breakfast included
Ghoha Hills Savuti(Chobe National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Chobe Game Lodge(Chobe National Park)
SA Hotels
  • Pool
Ihaha Campsite(Chobe National Park)
TripAdvisor
Tilodi Safari Lodge(Chobe National Park)
  • Pool
Liya Guest Lodge(Chobe National Park)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsplunge poolchobe rivergame drivesthe managersprivate patiooutdoor showeramazing locationsmall poolcaprivi stripsafari lodgehighlight of our trippicnic lunchenjoyed every minutethree nightswonderful experiencewelcome drinkflood plain
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I found the lodge to be very much like the 3 previous reviewers stated (beautifully appointed, rooms 6, 7, and 8 too far; guides knowledgeable and patient; sunset drives and refreshments on the plains excellent)) with exception of the food. While we had no choices, I believe they would work with you for special diets. It is more of a safari and less of a restaurant, so lack of choices was no problem! I don't eat pork and they had pork one night. I gave it to my husband and friends and ate everyting else; I'm sure if I had stated that diet prior to arrival, I would have been given a secondary option. The presentation of the meals at the lodge were fabulous. And they offered seconds, so I was never hungry!! The lunch meal on the drive was less than spectacular. Cold hamburger, or meatloaf sandwich (take your pick of description) and tough chicken leg was unappetizing, and actually was a disjointed meal. It didn't flow. Enjoyed visiting a local village school (made a small donation) and then purchased small baskets from local weavers.

My biggest complaint - very poor lighting in the rooms!! Unable to sit in bed and read. Seeing as you are walked to your rooms after dinner and drinks, the night is still young, and the lack of ability to read anywhere in the room is uncomfortable and poorly designed. Staff suggested we use the emergency flashlight on the night stand. It worked for 1 person, but 2 people cannot read at the same time. I guess another solution is to bring an electronic reader. The manager stated that they would be receiving hadboard lights 3 days after our depature. Hope they did.

All in all, a beautiful experience. A must do.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2011

This is a small very personal resort with only eight rooms.  It is a great base to visit Chobe National Park being very convenient to western side of park.  However it is a fair drive to other side of park for the boat ride and game drives in the eastern sector.
The staff are extremely helpful and the program of activities is very flexible.
The Rooms very well appointed.  All have air-conditioning which is essential on hot, really hot days, as in October.  Therenis no wifi in the rooms but it is available in the very relaxing restaurant/bar area.
Each room has great views across the Chobe River floodplain.  You can lie in bed and watch the animals out on the plains.
We thoughtbthat the guides were very good and vehicles very well equipped.  It was terrific to have folding chairs for outside meals, sunset etc
While is a matternof personal taste, we thought that the best rooms were
probably 1 through 4 as they were closer to main reception.  While the others were not far away, every bit counts on a 100 degree day in the very hot sun.
We loved the restaurant setting and the service is really good. We thought that the food was good too and certainly better than implied by some earlier reviews.
Chobe itself is a truly exceptional park with the elephants being the major feature.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Ngoma is a new, up market lodge just outside Chobe with a fantastic view. The newness is evident in that the staff, albeit very nice, is apprehensive. Things don’t run quite as smoothly as would be expected for a lodge in this league. I believe that these are solely growing pains and once the kinks get worked out, this has the potential to be a fantastic lodge. JJ, the manager, was of great assistance to us. He helped book last minute flights and was always around.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS go a long way. Our arrival was weird and after patiently waiting several minutes after we’d finished our welcome drink, I had to go ask to be taken to our room. That evening, we went for a game drive and saw squat. Not because it was a bad run with nature, but because the first drive is down one long lonely road known to have minimal animal activity – an ineffective time waster until it was time to head to the river for sundowners. The sundowner portion of the evening was spectacular, but don’t even bother with this first drive.

Please note that Ngoma is NOT IN A PRIVATE RESERVE and you have to drive into Chobe to see anything apart from the small strip near the water.

On day 2, we went on a FULL DAY SAFARI. This involved driving one hour in the safari vehicle to get to the launching spot for the River Cruise. The river cruise was great and afterwards, we drove through Chobe as we slowly made our way back to the reserve. Chobe has been devastated by the overwhelming elephant population, but along the river, wildlife is prolific and the scenery nice.

ROOMS were amazing, the view in particular. There was a coffee and tea station with a French press. The bed faces out overlooking the plains and river and we could see a wide-angle view of the animal life. Nothing really up close, but the spanning view was unbeatable. The massive mosquito net was picturesque and ladies – there’s a full size hair dryer.

MEALS were great but also a point of disappointment for us. Not the quality of the food which was fantastic, but the lack of options. At this price point, we felt like there should have been an option as to what you wanted to eat. We had steak one night that was lovely, but we were never even asked how we would have liked it cooked. We weren’t told what we were eating either unless we asked. The plate was just set down in front of us. This, I felt was not out of rudeness, just lack of training.

During our full day safari, we had a packed lunch served out of plastic containers. A weird combination of crackers and melted cheeses, a cold hamburger, a fried chicken leg, and luke warm slaw was not what we expected. Again for this price point, something much better should have been organized.

BEVERAGES INCLUDED. If you want a drink, just go to the main lodge. The girls were always asking if we wanted a drink. LAUNDRY INCLUDED in the price also.

LODGE SCHEDULE
(This is for the full day safari which I assume is what most people do.)
7:30 Breakfast
8:30 Departure
10:00 Riverboat Cruise
12:00 Game Drive in Chobe
1:00 Lunch at picnic spot in Chobe
Return to lodge before sunset.
7:30 Dinner

Our GUIDE was the most disappointing of all the lodges we stayed at. He wasn’t bad but he wasn’t good either. He wasn’t very personable and although he knew a lot about the animals, he rarely spoke unless we asked him something in particular. We received no briefing as to what was going on and wouldn’t have had a clue had we not overheard the other guide going over the day’s itinerary with his group.

I am sure some of these complaints seem niggling, but we had just come from a lodge that was half the price with better service. Our expectations were high and unfortunately were not met. We ended up staying only 2 out of the 3 nights we had originally booked.

ECO-NESS – Standard save your towel approach was all I noticed.

FINAL SAY – I’d wait for a few more positive reviews and give them some time to improve.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank yellowsun60
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I was transferred to Ngoma Lodge from their adjacent sister establishment, Muchenje Lodge, due to a reservations mix up. (See my report on Muchenje Lodge.)

Ngome Lodge opened for business in May 2011 and has been furnished with no thought to expense. The standard of the accommodation is superb. The rooms have large windows overlooking the floodplains of the Chobe river. On the morning I left a large herd of Cape Buffalo wandered past the window in the early morning light. The bathroom was spectacularly furnished with double hand basins, full size free standing bath and the best shower I have ever encountered in 40 years of international travel.

The main lodge houses the bar and dining area and guest lounge as well as a pool and excellent viewing areas over the flood plain. The tariff includes all items from the bar.

A range of game-viewing safaris is provided at the Lodge in well-maintained comfortable safari vehicles. Guests can choose from morning or afternoon game drives (or both) as well as a full day tour, which includes an excursion by boat on the Chobe River. These safari options are identical to those offered by their sister lodge, Muchenje Lodge.

I opted for the full day tour. We drove to Kasane, some 45 minutes drive before boarding the boat for the Chobe Excursion. The game viewing both on the banks of the river and in the river itself was excellent. We were able to get up close to crocodiles, Nile monitors, hippos, elephants and buffalo as well as numerous bird species. Afterwards we enjoyed an extensive game drive in Chobe Reserve. It was an excellent day and our guide was both knowledgeable and cooperative.

My arrival at the Lodge was timed to include breakfast. This was the first of three meals I had in the dining room, as well as a packed lunch. All of them were very disappointing. I ordered bacon and one egg, which took 20 minutes to arrive. It consisted on one minute piece of bacon and one egg fried within an inch of its life. One slice of extra hard toast was also supplied. Breakfast the following day was of the same standard.

The packed lunch on the full day safari was of a similarly disappointing. A hard cooked, crumbed chicken drumstick with some wilted lettuce opened the proceedings, followed by an unpleasant hamburger in a massive bun.

Dinner that night back at the Lodge was no better. There was no choice offered. First we had a small plate of cool soup. The main course was three very small thin slices of pork, with three green beans and cold, lumpy mashed potatoes. It was appalling. It wasn’t possible to pass comment to the hosts, as they had departed for South Africa shortly after my arrival.

There would have to be some considerable improvement in the standard of the catering before I would ever be tempted to stay at Ngoma Lodge again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Richard A
Reviewed 28 September 2011

A beautiful lodge with a very high quality level of services. Fascinating rooms with a spectacular view on park and sunsets, furnished with with taste and elegance. The kindness of owners is unforgettable, they usually arrange with guests the proposed outside activities at Chobe park, which are great. Absolutely unique.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple