“Love it and hated it.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chobe Game Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chobe National Park
Chobe Game Lodge
Palm Springs, California
“Love it and hated it.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

What the park has to offer is out of this world. It was absolutely astounding. I shall never forget the wonderful experience we had on land and on the river.

That being said there were certain conditions that did not match the four star or even three star quality we had expected. The river boat for the cruise was not even swept. The celing fan in our room rattled everytime it was on and sometimes that was all we ever wanted. The sound drove us crazy. When we called for maintenance they played with it and left quickly. It was quiet for maybe five minutes before it started rattling again. These are pretty minor compared to some of the food being uncooked. Eating out in the grassy area at night under dimmed lighting made it very difficult to see if the food was thoroughly cooked, especially for fowl and pork items. We heard other visitors expressing the same concerns.

We were also caught off guard that the meals were all buffet style which would be okay in an enclosed area but out in the open where we saw flies and spiders fall into the food was not good.

Also, when we didn't have hot water one morning we were told it's because our unit is so far away. I thought that was rather silly considering the other mornings it was hot.

Lastly, when we asked about the gym in order to work off all the wonderful rich food we had eaten on our trip throughout South Africa we were surprised at the small size plus no trend mill. We were told that it was being repaired, no fixed date was given.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank manguitoseas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Hebrew first
scottie in zurich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

The Chobe Game Lodge is a fully inclusive resort - more hotel than lodge but to be honest, there are animals wandering in the grounds and with the riverside location, the animal viewing was as good as any "lodge". We had several antelope, mongoose and warthogs in the grounds, and we spotted crocs, hippos and elephants in the water or on the river banks while we had our meals. The Lodge really does think about guests from the free laundry service - yes free and returned same day - to the insect repellent in the vanity set as well as repellent spray in the bedside cabinets. The food was good, not gourmet but plenty of choice and I particularly liked the fact that they thought about a lighter menu at lunchtime than the evening. All drinks except for premium wines are included which again was unexpected and great. There are plenty of opportunities for game viewing with breaks in between - a normal day is alarm call at 5:30; tea and muffins at 6 am, then off on the first game drive at 6:30, back for breakfast around 8:30, then at 10:15 off for a river cruise (fantastic opportunity to see elephants have their mud bath), then back for lunch at 12:30, and a rest until the next game drive at 4 which includes a sundowner in the park (G&T with ice was most welcome at this point) and then back for a 1 hour break before dinner!
I loved the fact that the you kept your guide for the duration and so built a great relationship with them. I commend the Lodge for not cramming everyone into the minimum number of vehicles - there was always plenty of room to move from one side of the vehicle to the other to get good shots of the various animals seen.
The Lodge is also very flexible in swapping the time of the river cruise with the evening game drive - and yes the sundowners came too.
September is a great time to visit as the park is very dry and so the animals all come to the river for drinking so the sightings are fabulous.
I loved it and would certainly return.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank supervallers
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

I traveled as a single female traveler from South Africa to the Chobe Game Lodge (compliments of African Sky Safaris and Tours). There was something intimidating, overswhelming, and vulnerable traveling by myself as a solo femail traveler to the Chobe Game Lodge, often just myself and a single guide. And I was in very safe hands.

Upon driving into the park, I saw animals, wildlife, and fauna that I'd hoped to see sometime over my next 4 days....and I saw most of them just driving to arrive at the Lodge!

The welcome was very hospitable, warm, and inviting. I was given a welcome drink and my itinerary. Now, my first reaction to an itinerary was "what? i'm on vacation!" It is all optional, and yet I found myself partaking of the full schedule becuase it was truly designed and developed for the maximum benefit and experience of the guests.

The lodge itself was breathtaking, well maintained, elegant, relaxed, stocked with just what you need and not overdone,....sort of like the Tommy Bahama lifestyle on safari!

The staff are all exceptionally friendly, professional, well-trained, and gracious.

The food was wonderful...you simply can't go hungry. You can opt for items more within your comfort zone (steak, vegetarian, chicken) or more adventurous in keeping with the surroundings (aligator, etc). And yet wonderful comforts like tea time and fresh baked muffins right before the early morning drive.

The guides are very knowledgable, personable, professional, and fun! I had the same guide for all 4 days, so he knew what I had seen, what I wanted to see, and kept full track to ensure my drives were all that i hoped for. The vehicles were well maintained, open all around for best viewing, well stocked, and comfortable.

I had an image and a dream of what my photo safari would be like....the Chobe Game Lodge was that dream fulfilled and so much more!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank MNHannah
Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

We enjoyed our stay at Chobe Game Lodge although in comparison with the smaller lodges we had stayed at prior I would not select to stay in such a big hotel. Perhaps had we staying here first it would have been more appealing. It is hard to review this property as I'm sure many people would love the 5 star luxury, the beautiful setting overlooking the Chobe River. Absolutely suberb. Location wise it is the only hotel in the Game Reserve. The room was nice the food was great & I had a terrific massage there. So I can only review it for what it is. We saw lots of elephants, lions but the game was not as good as at previous properties. The guide here was not up to standard perhaps that also made a difference. We spent two nights and I felt that was long enough.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diedre_8
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

Chobe Game Lodge was the last stop in the Botswana part of our 14-day safari booked by go2africa.com. It had a different feeling from the other lodges in which we had stayed in Botswana, because it was more like an intimate hotel than an exclusive small game lodge. Still I liked it a great deal. It has the most stunning location overlooking the Chobe River -- the views from the lodge are astounding. The food was ok, but not as good as in some of other lodges we had stayed in. I couldn't care less about that though.

What I loved about Chobe was its animal density. Sightings were frequent with plentiful of animals, although cats were rare. We didn't see any lions during the 2 days we stayed there but other guests had seen them in plentiful before us and some after us, and they also saw the rare wild dogs. Though we did spot 2 leopards on the river bank from the boat, which was apparently a very rare sighting. Everything else was so abundant. When you saw them, you saw them in dozens, elephants, giraffes, baboons, etc. And the landscape and boat rides were beautiful too. It was priceless to see elephants playing in the river, enjoying themselves. And the hippos too.

The lodge had a very appealing swimming pool, but we didn't have time to use it.

I want to go back there.

Our guide Lebu was great.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

This is a luxury resort masquerading as a game lodge. The structures are permanent, the rooms are air conditioned, but there are morning and evening game drives, as well as a mid-morning boat excursion. If you want to have a drive or boat trip at some other time, just ask and it will be arranged. The rooms are large but simply furnished. The grounds are lovely, being kept well groomed by a family of warthogs. Laundry is included. Wi-fi is extra, and did not work at all when we were there. There is lots of game to see on the drives and the drivers/guides are very good.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bobelaine20854
Newcastle UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

Everything you read about Chobe Game Lodge is true. This is very high class luxury in a beautiful setting right in the game reserve. The abundance and proximity of animals meant that there were three activities every day- the early game drive , the mid morning trip out on the water and the late afternoon game drive. Our guide was wonderful, she was full of information about everything we saw. We saw lions on every game drive not to mention herds of impala, elephant, lechwe, kudu, families of baboons, crocodile and countless wonderful birds. The water trips were memorable for seeing elephants at play. The food was excellent- usually buffet style with masses of choice and all very well presented. The room was very comfortable though with the hectic pace we saw little of it. While more formal and larger than many of the lodges, the small number of guest in each jeep and boat meant that we met many interesting fellow travellers..

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Kasane
Sanctuary Chobe Chilwero
Sanctuary Chobe Chilwero
#6 of 20 in Chobe National Park

Been to Chobe Game Lodge? Share your experiences!