“Great start to our safari.”

Muchenje Safari Lodge
Cambridge
“Great start to our safari.”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Arrived at the lodge and were all treated like friends immediately felt like home from home. Joy and Robert made us feel so welcome. Food was great and plenty of it, they couldn't do enough for us. Lodges had the most amazing views and were very comfortable, especially the beds! The guides were so knowledgable, we had Lips and the other group had Rambo, as my sister and her hubby are keen bird watchers.......we must have seen over 180 birds in the three days we were there! Also, wow, Elephants by the hundred, zebra, buffalo and many types of deer! One highlight was the boat trip on the river, having lunch and watching elephants by the hundred swim across to an island for the better grass, baby elephants being helped by their mums, juveniles playing in the water like teenage boys! Awesome and something I will never forget. So a very big UP to the guides and the staff at Mucheje....and a VERY big thank you from us all?

Room Tip: All rooms have an amazing view!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
epsom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

fantastic location and views.wonderful lodges and very clean and tidy.Food was very good throughout and generous with wine and other drinks.Staff very friendly and knowledgeable as were the safari guides. Excellent game drives.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank james g
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The kindliness and care shown to me and my family was way beyond my expectations. In 2 days we saw so many animals in such huge numbers. The food was excellent, the hosts and guides and staff unfailingly friendly, courteous and smiling. I would recommend this gem to anyone who wants to see animals close up in large numbers in natural settings. Herds of elephants, cape buffalo, zebra, baboons, and too many others to mention,

I wish I had known all this in advance and I would have stayed longer there and less in Victoria Falls.

The rooms have mosquito netting, large ensuite, lovely comfortable beds, comfortable sitting area inside and outside on a small deck overlooking the flood plains and river below.

Would love to come back again to Joy and Robert's hospitality.

Room Tip: We had rooms 8 and 9 which were the first huts closest to the lodge.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

More game viewed in the Chobe National Park than all of our other safaris combined. 100's of elephants, cape buffalo, baboons and antelope; 20's of hippos, giraffe, and zebra; 32 new bird species (for us) including 5 birds of prey and 4 storks. We followed and viewed 3 lionesses as they confronted (and were chased by) 3 cape buffalo, discovered a croc, killed a jackal, and killed and ate an antelope - all in the space of 30 minutes! Convivial hosts and comfortable accommodations.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JandJFKS
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent two months traveling in sub Sahara Africa. This lodge was one of our favorites. The view from the dining room and from the decks overlooking the Muchenje river plain were incredible. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and had a great view of the wildlife down below.
The all day Safari was the best, with our guide, Bee. The food was well done, and we enjoyed the breakfast's. The family style dinner was a pleasant way to meet other people traveling, and discovering this wonderful country.
We strongly recommend this lodge.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Jack H
Geraldton, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and I were picked up in Kasane by Lips and taken to the lodge to be met by the relief manager Cath and her enthusiastic staff.Cath sat down with us for lunch when we arrived and made us feel so welcome that we had no doubts that Muchenje had been a good choice for the start of our second trip to Africa.The rooms are wonderful and are much better than they appear on the web site.Food is home cooking and is plentiful and there is enough variety to make it interesting.Let me be clear this is a great place with great staff led by a great temp GM but the real stars of the show are the guides.We were lucky enough to get Lips and I know everyone likes to think they had the best guide in Africa but he may well take that title.Lips found all the usual grass eaters as well as a pair of male lions on the prowl and we we're fortunate enough to see a female lion reunite with one of her cubs after a hyena had killed her other one.The drama continued on the full day river trip with great up close viewing of elephants and yes Lips found us a leopard to really top off a great day.We stayed 3 nights in June and would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great out look.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve W
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2014

In March 2014 this year a group of my friends and I stayed at Muchenje. It is now June and I have to say that this is the best experience I have ever had and within a heartbeat I would return again. Creative tours took on board activities we hoped for and Muchenje staff (who really felt like family within a couple of days) gave us all those experiences and more. Nothing was too much effort. Their attention to their clients, care for their staff, community, villagers and environment was exemplary.

Our safety was paramount. We had staff patrolling the units from 6pm each evening and escorting us to our units at night. There was mother of all electrical storms and power from Zambia was out for a couple of days. During this period we still had our delicious meals, cooked by gas cookers under kerosene lamps. Daily activities continued and water had to be carted in. Full marks to management. Judy was the relief manager and what a gem she was. Where else do the staff deliver a rollicking serve of African song and dance before returning to their cooking, waitressing and other rolls just before our evening meals. Even better was the inclusive manner in which staff had their meals with us. This added yet another dimension to our African experience.

Johnson the barman and KP our guide spent time teaching me lai lai (sp), an old African board game which I had seen on the web. The guys still play it and dropped eveything one evening to deliver a crash course! Originally I thought it was just an ornament originally.

We were even taken for a visit to Kasane to visit another accommodation that I had been considering prior to booking. Great to see the businesses working together!

Plenty of good advice, conversation and information was passed our way. You won't be disappointed if you close this venue to visit Chobe, villages and the locals. At no time did we feel unsafe or vulnerable despite being in a very different environment.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
#6 of 21 in Chobe National Park
Kwalape Safari Lodge
Kwalape Safari Lodge
#20 of 21 in Chobe National Park

Been to Muchenje Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!