“Okay food...some drawbacks”

Ranked #20 of 94 Restaurants in Ballston Spa
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Kim Klopstock is the owner's name
Brunswick, New York
“Okay food...some drawbacks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Right on Route 50, this is an easy stop between Schenectady and Saratoga. This was the last stop of five for me during Saratoga Restaurant Week. First up was the Blood Orange and Honey Calamari appetizer. While it was okay, it was a disappointment because the description made it sound better than it actually was. With calamari, one needs to do more to make it flavorful. The orange glaze didn't do the wonders I thought it might, and the sweet chili sauce didn't really add anything. One thing that was missing for sure was a touch of salt. This could have done wonders to enhance the orange flavor, but I'm not sure this dish had a flavor combination that works well. It was a good-sized portion, and I can envision some people enjoying this dish, but it really didn't work for me.

The main course was also somewhat disappointing, but I can tell with all of this that the chef tries his best to be creative with his dishes. The pan-seared Hampton Bay Scup was my choice; the flavor was okay; the lemon caper cherry tomato white wine sauce was too complex for my taste. In this case, my advice would be to pick just two flavors additions and go with it. I also didn't care for how the mashed potatoes were lying underneath everything.

The high point of the meal was the dessert, but this alone could not boost the rating above average. I opted for their "famous" apple crumb. If you like sweet and brown-sugary, this hits the spot. Yes, it was very sweet, but it worked very well in just the right-sized portion. Also of note, was that while not great, they had the best coffee of the five restaurants I visited on this trip. The glass of Zinfandel wine was quite good, too.

The waitress had a very pleasant demeanor, and was prompt and attentive...and a little shy. She lacked some knowledge about their wine selection, but all else was fine. The ambience was acceptable for the location. I can understand the attraction this place has...maybe I'll try it again next year.

• Visited March 2014

Salt Lake City, Utah
“What a disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

First, let me say our server was so nice and amazing, and she really tried to make things right. Unfortunately, there was too much wrong. I ordered the maple salmon...the salmon was far from fresh, super fishy. Also to pair maple with wasabi is a poor choice. Sesame encrusted is a better option for wasabi mashed potatoes. I barely ate two bites. My husband ordered a medium filet. It was charred and well done. I don't understand how a restaurant can put so much energy into getting quality natural and local food, and ruin it with the choices of preparation and lack of freshness. This was our valentine celebration...it was terrible. I will not ever return not will I recommend it to anyone. If you're in Saratoga, go to Boca instead.

Upstate NY
“This was the last of two awful meals”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

My husband and I use to favor this restaurant but on two occasions, my meals were terrible. I love their linguine and clam sauce--most of the time, they are out of clams but last weekend, I thought I was lucky. That proved to be wrong on my part. My husband ordered the salmon and thought it was quite good. My first bite of one clam proved to be nasty. It was full of black dirt and fell apart in my mouth. I used a napkin and tried to wipe my tongue. My mouth was full of sand. That was only partly successful, so I washed my mouth with all the water I could find and swallowed. I showed the nasty napkin to my poor waiter. He asked me if he could get me something else. I told him to just give me a pasta dish with red sauce. My husband had finished his meal as I watched
. While he was having desert, my meal came. I took one bite of the very acidic mess and the very hard and tough sausage and asked my waiter to wrap it. We came home and threw it out. I was up all night, vomiting. Never again!

• Visited November 2013
Clifton Park, New York
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Went here with my boyfriend and this might be my new favorite place. I LOVE the fact that they serve organic meals. The atmosphere is absolutely wonderful--Romantic and relaxing, with tree branches and lights lining the windows. The food-simply amazing. We ordered the calamari appetizer which was a surprisingly large portion and came with a yummy sweet & sour dipping sauce. I ordered the chicken marsala for my entree--I have never ordered chicken marsala at a restaurant before and I am extremely happy that I did! It came atop delcious mashed potatoes. My boyfriend ordered the turkey plate which he thoroughly enjoyed. The prices are very average compared to similar restaurants but the dining experience is way better. We had a great server as well--although he was a little bit slow at times. However, we were not in a rush so it all worked out. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a good meal, good portion size, good atmosphere, and decent pricing.

• Visited October 2013
Charlton, New York, United States
“50 South in Ballston Spa, New York (Saratoga County)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Its hard to describe in mere words just how wonderful this little gem of a restaurant is. The food is beyond magnificent, ALWAYS prepared just as you order it, and the waitstaff and bar service are always attentive but not pushy, and very helpful and informative when you ask. Chef Kim Klopstock is superb, both as a Chef as well as a human being, caring not just about her customers and staff, but the local providers from whom she purchases, and the whole surrounding community. Kim was at the forefront of Gluten-free cooking, even keeping a separate fryer for those of her customers who need or want it. It is the warmest, friendliest restaurant I have ever been in. We always leave with a big hug.

• Visited August 2013