“Two visits in two nights”

Five Bells Vintage Inn, Country Pub & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Five Bells Vintage Inn, Country Pub & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

A charming environment with delightful staff, albeit not enough on the Monday night that we visited. Having said that, considering the location is fairly remote, both nights were very well attended. The menu is fairly standard fare but everyone in our party of four was very satisfied with their choices which came piping hot, albeit after quite a long wait. We were able to speak with several other customers who were attending the same cricket match as us and the reactions were a bit mixed. The great majority, however, were very content with their dining experience. We look forward to another visit in the future

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Fantastic meal , extremely tasty food well presented, lots of choice and for vegetarians, ambience of the restaurant is just perfect

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Avoid room 7 at all costs. It is a single room p in the roof, with a velux windown... and no curtains or blinds. Result: Daylight at 5.00 am!

Despite advising hotele and restaurant of my daughter's milk allergy at time of booking, and again when checking in at 4pm, and again when ordering evening meal at 8.15 pm, when the meal arrived, crushed potatoes were served in butter. Consequence: daughter spent (so far) next 24 hours throwing up. Even though we were staying in the hotel, the restaurant refused to serve my other daughter pasta as it was after 5 pm.

I, not having a milk allergy, ordered their large eclair for dessert. This had obviously been defrosted earlier in the day, and had to be returned twice, as they were both stale. No alternative was offered. We went without dessert.

Service: When checking out, there was no one available to ask me how my stay had been. I therefore had to phone when I got home. Although duty manager has said they will refund the cost of the room, this feels like poor compensation for what has resulted in the trip being cut short, and probably a trip to hospital this evening.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I are here with my partner for a late supper and while the pub is very attractive and the bar staff very attentive the food left lots to be desired. I had hunters chicken which was over cooked and the chips were awful. My partner had fish pie which he said was ok. Additionally though the last who bought our food was very pleasant the pub needs more staff. As we left tables were covered with glasses that were there when we arrived!

1  Thank lizastonclinton
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Lunches with the whole family don't happen very often so when they do happen they are special so we like time together to be in equally special surroundings. The restaurant in the Five Bells is welcoming and cosy. The staff are very attentive and for our party of 14 nothing was too much trouble.

We had pre-ordered our food so we did not have to wait long for starters to arrive. Our orders covered a wide range from the extensive menu with all seemingly to enjoy their food. Desserts were equally good, I had gooseberry and raspberry oaty crumble with ice cream & custard, very tasty. :-)

I have now eaten here twice with the first visit included a two night stay (October 2013). The rooms are clean and have the basic necessities including drink making facilities and an on suite bathroom. The only negative comment would be the ground floor rooms next to the car park are noisy in the earlier hours with the early birds leaving for work. :-(

1  Thank kmhimages