“Excellent Sunday lunch”

Price range: US$21 - US$31
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Opened 21st December 2012 after significant refurbishment The Bell in Stoke Mandeville now offers a spacious yet cosy environment with more than a nod to the traditions of the Great British pub. With over ten years experience in some of the best dining establishments in the country James has moved his family to the village and is looking forward to building a well loved and established pub business.Serving fresh, uncomplicated and seasonal food complemented by a simple 'something for everyone' wine list and a selection of quality real ales.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was my first visit to The Bell and I am so pleased I decided to book Sunday lunch for myself and three friends. Our group meets regularly every couple of months for Sunday lunch and this was the best pub roast I have had in some time. The roast beef was rare - in fact perfectly cooked. What a change from most pub chefs who massacre beef until it resembles a cork table mat marinaded in gravy! One of my party wanted well done beef and this was no problem at all. The wine list was varied and it was good to see a Vermentino on the list. The staff were all helpful and friendly. I will certainly go back and I will certainly tell my friends!

1  Thank jazza1957
JamesPenlington, Owner at The Bell Stoke Mandeville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for your support and kind comments, it was lovely to meet you on Sunday and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I took my brother and Sister in Law out for Sunday Dinner last weekend, and we dropped into the Bell.

It was quite busy as one would expect on A Sunday, we hadn't booked but they made room for us.

The service was fine, and given the amount of people there not too slow.

The food was generally fine, though the Rare roast beef was a little chewy, but very flavoursome, and the accompanying vegetables were very nice, and the yorkshire pudding spot on. The desserts were excellent and I can highly recommend the Blackcurrant Sorbet which was refreshing and very tasty.

Hi Martin, thank you for your support, we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Ate here for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed it. The roast beef was pink and very tasty, the service was good and friendly, and the ambiance was great. There were many people in wheelchairs they as they have a proper disabled loo and Stoke Mandeville hospital is just up the road. It was nice to see people maybe having their first outing in such a nice place on the road to their recovery. All in all it's a lovely pub with good food and a good ethos.

JamesPenlington, Owner at The Bell Stoke Mandeville, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thanks Jane, I'm really pleased that you had such a good time. Hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Our friend from France was visiting us in Aylesbury, having worked for both Gordon Ramsay and Raymond Blanc when he lived in England.
He and his wife went here for lunch while we were at work and they told us about the amazing food they'd had here. They were completely shocked we had not tried it as it was so good, saying that the cassoulet was as good or better than anything they'd had in France, and the lamb was exceptional. We had always associated The Bell as a bit of a rough drinking man's pub in the past and had not been since it was taken over and transformed into this fine restaurant. We have since been many times and we are now completely in love with the food and service. The Broad Leys down the road had better up its game cos there's now a new and better kid on the block .Well done guys .

Thank you for your support, it really is appreciated. You're comments have been seen by the whole team and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Nice atmosphere and good service. Food was well cooked still think the menu is a bit fussy for instance PAN ROAST CHICKEN BREAST with CONFIT THIGH & SMOKED POTATO & BEAN SALAD. This was two pieces of roast chicken with green beans, sliced boiled potatoes and a thin gravy sauce. Very tasty but did not get that from the description. Portions are on the small side but as I said very well prepared and delicious. Expect to pay around £20 a head for started and mains.

A very nice pub and dog friendly. Usually a few good ales on tap and the sort of place you can relax as the seating is well spaced out.

I think it is trying to be another woolpack (just around the corner and even more pretentious) please don't compete just offer good value, good food and a nice atmosphere.

1  Thank Tonycable

Thank you for your lovely review and continued support. The pub you mentioned is one of a group of 1,600 restaurants and pubs which collectively turnover more than £2bn per annum. You can be assured that little old me and my lovely gang are not trying to compete. I hope to see you soon!