“exceeded expectations”

Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Opened 21st December 2012 after significant refurbishment The Bell in Stoke Mandeville now offers a spacious yet cosy environment with more than a nod to the traditions of the Great British pub. With over ten years experience in some of the best dining establishments in the country James has moved his family to the village and is looking forward to building a well loved and established pub business.Serving fresh, uncomplicated and seasonal food complemented by a simple 'something for everyone' wine list and a selection of quality real ales.
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Interesting menu, good attentive staff, food attractively presented, bubble and squeak
delicious, what more is there to say? Have paid more elsewhere for much less. Repeat
visit a certainty.

1  Thank geoffwolfenden
JamesPenlington, Owner at The Bell Stoke Mandeville, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Hi Geoff, thank you for your support and lovely comments, see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

recommended by friend so we tried out last Sunday, the dinning area was not nice & our table were close to kitchen doors without any windows nor outside light. constantly have staff coming in & out from the kitchen which is a bit annoying. The bar area & dinning tables around that section were better with windows even looking out to main road & car park. We have the sunday roast of beef & lamb, both were cooked - medium rare & well presented. Vegetables were crunchy & freshly prepared.

Only shame about the gravy as it is not only tasteless but runny like water in dark brown color without any favor of the meaty gravy that you usually get from restaurant or even close to the Bisto gravy you make at home. Dont think we will order sunday roast again unless they improve on the gravy but will try other dishes if we go there again.

Thank you for your comments, Sunday lunch is our busiest time of the week so all the tables are in high demand however I agree with you about the lack of windows in one small area. There are plans to improve the situation but we are currently prohibited by the building cost. Do let us know when booking that you'd prefer to sit in the bar and we'll do our best to accommodate you. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the gravy, it certainly doesn't sound like ours so do give another try soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Went there on Sunday expecting to have a Sunday lunch but they do not do them after 4pm, choose other things off the menu and it was really lovely, steak cooked perfectly rare and soup was fab.

Thank you for your support, we now offer food (including roasts) until 8.30pm on Sundays. See you soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend took me here. The food was amazing. The owners were so friendly and couldnt do enough for you. Was lovely

1  Thank Emma S

Hi Emma, thank you for your support and kind comments, we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was my first visit to The Bell and I am so pleased I decided to book Sunday lunch for myself and three friends. Our group meets regularly every couple of months for Sunday lunch and this was the best pub roast I have had in some time. The roast beef was rare - in fact perfectly cooked. What a change from most pub chefs who massacre beef until it resembles a cork table mat marinaded in gravy! One of my party wanted well done beef and this was no problem at all. The wine list was varied and it was good to see a Vermentino on the list. The staff were all helpful and friendly. I will certainly go back and I will certainly tell my friends!

1  Thank jazza1957
JamesPenlington, Owner at The Bell Stoke Mandeville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for your support and kind comments, it was lovely to meet you on Sunday and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.