“Nice pub, good staff, average food”
Review of Bugle Horn

Bugle Horn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Hartwell
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Bugle Horn offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

A friend and I popped into the Bugle Horn for a quick bite to eat on Friday night whilst waiting to pick our daughters up from a local event.
A really nice, traditional pub with friendly, welcoming staff. The restaurant was full, so we had a table in the bar which was more than comfortable.
We ordered a main course each. Unfortunately my friends first choice, a curry was not available, her second choice a seafood dish was also not available so the bar maid recommended another fish dish, which apparently was nice.
I had Gammon, Egg and Chips which I thought a fairly safe pub choice. However the Gammon, something that I didn’t realise you could get wrong! Was very rubbery and chewy and I didn’t enjoy it at all.
It was a shame about both the lack of availability of some of the dishes and also the quality of the Gammon, as it was a very nice pub, with helpful, friendly staff. Maybe the recommendation is to just pop in for a drink! Or a quick bite to eat, but don’t have high expectations of the food.

Date of visit: October 2018
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at Bugle Horn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2018

Hi Lurfer1, we appreciate your honest review. We set a high standard for ourselves, so we are disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not a positive one. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything additional we can do for you.

Reviewed 10 October 2018

I had dinner here for my birthday in September. Between the 5 of us we had different dishes from the set menu,a la carte and children's menu. All the food was very nice. The service by Leah was amazing. My husband had dropped flowers and a birthday cake at the restaurant earlier In the day. Which I was not aware of. I was surprised when the staff came out with a lovely birthday plate with my cake on and flowers. Will be definitely be back.

Date of visit: September 2018
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at Bugle Horn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2018

Thank you for your review.
We are glad you enjoyed your food.
Leah will be delighted to hear your comments about her!
We're glad the surprise worked too!
We are so happy that you have had a memorable birthday and we look forward to your next visit.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

Had a quick visit before a theatre trip.
To be honest they have been short staffed for about 10 years.
Very attentive staff but over worked-the barmaid who served our drinks at the bar then
took our food order at the table and was obviously rushed off her feet-this was a Saturday but not enough staff
Food was average and what you would expect from this chain
Shame as it has always had potential

Date of visit: July 2018
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at Bugle Horn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

Thank you for your review.
We thank you for the comments about the team.
We will investigate the issue you have raised.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

We haven’t eaten here for a while as we’ve never had good service or food before. But as they were getting better reviews we decided to go back. It was a Sunday so my partner ordered a roast dinner and I ordered the Wagyu burger. The service was polite and reasonably fast. When my burger arrived it looked ok, but it was completely over cooked and was virtually inedible. I spoke to the waitress who took the meal back to the chef and then came back to tell me that this was company policy on how to cook them and if I ordered another he would cook it the same way. I declined this offer and opted not to eat. My partners roast was dry, the stuffing was absent and the roast potatoes were burnt, but by this time we didn’t want to complain again... When the manager came over I explained what I’d been told and she immediately said that the waitress didn’t know what she was talking about and that the chef hadn’t said that. I was slightly taken aback by this, as it wasn’t necessary to slate the waitress. They took my meal off the bill, but I don’t think we’ll ever eat here again.

Date of visit: September 2018

Thank you for your feedback.
I was very concerned to hear about your experience for which we apologise.
We have reviewed your commenst about the food and shared with the Head Chef so we can complete further quality checks.
It was pleasing to hear the manager did not charge for your meal however this could have been handled better and will be discussed.Kind Regards

Reviewed 19 September 2018

We have been visiting this pub for more than 20 years and have seen many changes in the food and the decor during this period.
It is part of the Vintage Inn chain.
There is a good area for dining but space is not always available at busy times because tables booked for a specific time are out of commission for as much as an hour before the time for which they have been booked.
It was a much better system when they worked on a system of first come first seated. So if you want a table on a busy night it is essential to book.
The quality of the menu varies from one season to another and at some times there are plenty of attractive dishes and at others there are very few.
The staff are friendly and helpful.

Date of visit: July 2018
GeneralManagerA765, Manager at Bugle Horn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2018

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how we did, unfortunately now with the competition there is out there having a booking system in place is necessary and unfortunately does take tables out of action, however it is very easy for you to book even on the day itself if you wish too both online and by contacting us. Once again thank you for your time in getting in touch about your recent visit.
Thanks