“The best of the best”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartwell
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“The best of the best”
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I stayed at the Hartwell House recently and arrived at 8pm to check in. The reception staff made sure that I was checked in and had everything that I needed. I was then shown to my room by a very nice gentleman who was friendly and chatty...so not like my usual hotel stays elsewhere. He showed me into my room and made sure that I was comfortable and had everything I needed. The room was big enough to house a family of 8 and I was here on my own, it was lovely and warm, with window seats and fab fast internet access. The bed was very comfortable and the room was beautifully decorated. A true peace of heaven...I looked out of the window and I could see pheasants and unspoilt views. Dinner was terrible.....it all tasted so fantastic that I couldnt leave a morsel and so the diet was blown out of the window. The service, was absolutely the best I have had anywhere with nothing being too much trouble. My night's sleep was totally undisturbed and very quiet. After a fabulous breakfast...terrible food...bad for my diet which was blown fully...the fruit salad in orange juice was first class, home made pastries, free range eggs, local bacon and sausages mmmmmmm. Unfortunately...I did have work commitments and had to leave for a meeting but believe me....I did think about calling in sick so I could stay a little bit longer. Ignore the bad comments, some people whine about everything...this really is a first class hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank BusinessBassy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Very good service, comfortable accommodation, beautiful grounds - but overpriced. Standard room's bathroom could do with updating. We paid "late-rooms" rate. Wouldn't want to pay any more.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We had a lovely stay at Hartwell house, steeped in History, welcoming very good, amazing grounds which is there too explore, dinner was great, pre ordering in one of lounges is an excellent idea very relaxing. more could of been made to the outside seating area making it more comfortable and inviting, more information on what's available to do on arrival would be good. The lake looked great from a far but up close it needs some work in making deeper and maybe introducing carp etc for the keen fishermen out there, I'm sure this would attract more guest if they enjoyed their fishing. Overall was excellent well worth a trip there feels like you have gone back in time very relaxing and an amazing experience.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I had a wonderful stay here. My room was upgraded and I had a lovely view. The experience of walking down the Jacobean staircase is one i will treasure. I loved the House. Everyone was very helpful. I enjoyed my swim in the Spa and walking round the grounds. A very special stay. Thankyou Hartwell Housel!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2011

From the moment that you arrive at this hotel you know that you are going to have a fabulous stay. You are greeted my friendly and warm reception staff. Our room was not quite ready when we arrived. We sat in one of the beautiful drawing rooms in front of a log fire with a glass of wine. When it came for us to be taken to our room we hardly wanted to leave our cosy spot. We stayed in the Hartwell Suites, the room was beautiful with views out to a courtyard garden. You got the feeling that you were totally secluded and private and could use the grounds coming and going as you wished. The room had a little galley kitchen where you could make hot drinks. We used the spa and stayed until around 8.30 pm enjoying the hot tub outside. We were too tired to go up to the main restaurant and ordered room service which arrived promptly. The food was very good and we even ordered a DVD to watch. The next day had a lovely relaxed breakfast in the spa cafe and then with the help of the handy maps explored the gardens. My only complaint is that I wished we had stayed two nights instead of one. Totally relaxing, helpful, friendly staff, stunning surroundings, all the right ingredients for a short break.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2011

We found Hartwell House after looking for a relaxing spa getaway. It turned out to be a gem hidden only 1hr from London, but a world away in environment. You really feel like you have stepped into a previous time, our suite felt like having our own cottage, with back door leading straight into the estate gardens. The staff were friendly and helpful at all times, and the spa was peaceful and relatively quiet given it was a weekend. Would not hesitate to recommend to friends & family for a chance to really get away from it all for a couple of days.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2011

We stayed at Hartwell House for a saturday night and also enjoyed afternoon tea. We stayed in a suite in the Hartwell Court area rather than the house proper. Our room was very comfortable. Quite old fashioned but in keeping with the hotel!

The Spa (included in our rate) was very relaxing and well maintained. Our afternoon tea was served in the library and was good value and enjoyable (accompanied by a seat in front of a roaring fire). Service was excellent with the staff being very courteous and willing to assist with all requests.

In all a very good exerience.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frostbear
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartwell
Five Arrows Hotel
De Vere Horwood Estate
#1 of 1 in Little Horwood
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,296 reviews
Premier Inn Aylesbury Hotel

Been to Hartwell House? Share your experiences!