“Gracious and refined”
Review of Hartwell House

Hartwell House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartwell
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Just returned from lunch w/4 friends. Setting beautiful; service impeccable; food delicious (main courses slightly on small side). Much more than a restaurant due to wonderful country home drawing rooms for canapes and drinks, then lunch, then coffee and mince pies in different drawing room w/lively fireplace, original antique furnitue, paintings, tapestries etc. Post-prandial around lovely grounds with lake and swans. Anyone who rates this place only one or two is either a philistine or has an unreasonable grudge. My wife and I have also stayed at Hartwell on two occasions and it was a treat.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JEC45

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Below is a copy of a letter I have just sent to the General Manager of Hartwell House - I think it speaks for itself and as you'll see I really can't recommend the place highly enough.

Dear Jonathan

I've just returned from a wonderful 2 night stay/conference at your beautiful hotel and I had to email you to congratulate you on running such a wonderful venue.

The fact that the hotel is stunning and set in beautiful surroundings speaks for it self on the drive in, but what I was even more impressed with was your team. I stay away regularly for work however this is the first time I have stayed at Hartwell House (the first of many I may say). I have never received or witnessed such consistently high levels of customer service in my life. From the moment I arrived (and went to the spa entrance by accident!) every single one of your team I encountered were hugely polite and extremely helpful. Their attention to detail was simply amazing, the waiters/barman even remembered my drink after just one night.
The room was lovely, the towels warm and fluffy and the food absolutely delicious - I really couldn't think of anything I would change.

Your team are a huge credit to you and obviously a testament to the way you lead the business. Happiness at work is so important and your team are clearly VERY happy, atmosphere and attitude like that is impossible to fake.

People are always so quick to complain but very rarely comment on good service (I certainly don't do it as often as I should!).

The difference on this occasion is that my stay with you and the customer service standard I received wasn't just good - it was absolutely exceptional.

Room Tip: There were 16 in my party, all seperate rooms and not one complaint as they are all lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank SallyAustin141
Reviewed 23 November 2011

My husband and I were treated to a celebratory lunch today. The location, ambience, food, drink and service were excellent. Lots of very pleasant staff in the restaurant, the timing of the courses was good. All in all, thoroughly enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bossybabe
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We went here for a birthday celebration dinner and stay. Arrived to an impressive building and grounds and received a warm greeting at the front door. On entry into the main hall greeted by the sight of a log fire and a number of people relaxing having afternoon tea. Our room was very nice with views to the front of the house. Bed was huge and very comfortable. We walked around internally and the main house has some really interesting features, loved the staircase with its little carved people. There are a number of rooms for relaxing in all decorated and furnished to fit the style of the building. We then collected a map of the grounds and went for a walk around the lake nice herons swans etc and picturesque bridge. On return went for a drink and found myself waiting in the bar for a short while which I thought may not bode well for a reflection of service however once spotted I my order was taken and I returned to my settee in front of the fire to await my lovely cup of tea and some tasty clotted cream scones. We then went to the spa area and used what I would describe as a small but functional gym and then went for a swim in lovely pool and jacuzzi. These facilities are short walk from main house. In the evening we went down for dinner and service was excellent we were escorted to one of the lounges for pre dinner drinks and canapes and to review menu and wine list, when first course ready they collected us. Restaurant area was really nice and eventually full so glad we reserved a table. We did the tasting menu which is six courses and saw me trying things I wouldn't normally have eaten. The food was beautifully presented tasty and portions perfect so as not too overfill right up until the final one which was the second desert and was a souffle which both my wife and I felt was too big for the final course. Service from start to finish of the meal was excellent and we took coffee back in one of the lounges. Piano accompaniament which was not intrusive during. Overall nice intimate setting at times it felt like just us there until we went into dinner or breakfast lovely break and my initial concern re standing in bar awaiting service was quickly overturned throughout the rest of our stay.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank mkdon5
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I couldn't have had a better three days at Hartwell House. The location is incredible, silent and peaceful, and perfectly maintained. The hall itself is spectacular and in impeccable condition. But what really stands out is the service, everyone from the reception staff to the bar staff to porters is incredibly helpful without being intrusive, without a doubt the best service I've ever had at a hotel anywhere. The spa is lovely and peaceful too, and is very reasonably priced for treatments.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank 19,846
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The Management and staff made my birthday weekend so very special. I appreciated all the planning, attention to detail and the professional and attentive staff throughout our stay which enabled our guests and ourselves to enjoy such a special and memorable time at Hartwell House.

Thanks to their amazing planning from the minute we arrived, everything was fabulous and all our family and friends said how impressed they were with the location, the facilities and the dinner and the staff.

I know that they would recommend Hartwell House to their friends.

Room Tip: All rooms are first class
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Had lunch with colleagues at the spa cafe. Dreadfull food, overcooked, dry, tasteless and grossly over priced, would have sent it back and refused to pay, but did not want to embarass departing colleague further. Will definately not be paying a return visit!
Disgraceful!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
7  Thank paula d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartwell
Five Arrows Hotel
#1 of 7 in Beaconsfield
Holiday Inn Aylesbury
Holiday Inn Aylesbury
#9 of 12 in Aylesbury

Been to Hartwell House? Share your experiences!