“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartwell
London, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

With its swathes of daffodils, rolling parkland and warm, honey-coloured stone, Hartwell House is a perfect setting for any kind of rest and relaxation. Add a warm welcome, big squashy sofas and lofty rooms; and it's pretty much perfect. Afternoon tea is all that it should be; imaginative finger sandwiches, fruit and plain scones (accompanied of course, by bowls of strawberry jam and clotted cream), eclairs, tiny sponge cakes and fresh fruit tartlets. Choose your preferred tea, which comes with plenty of extra hot water and a complete top-up just as you were thinking that a second pot might be nice.
Attentive, friendly staff make the experience neither fussy nor formal; and the only disappointment is having to leave.

1 Thank Alison P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We were a large family party, ages ranging from 4 to 70 plus 2 dogs - and we all had a great time. The accommodation was as luxurious as expected, in a truly beautiful setting of natural parkland (National Trust). Our room looked out onto a woodland glade, with a door to let the dogs out - with masses of daffodils - and loads of room for them to go for walks. The food was very good, with plenty of choice, and my partner's allergies were well catered for - several courses specially provided very willingly without our being made to feel a nuisance. Our second night's dinner was a special celebration in the private Octagon Room. It really was special. The Spa is also a super-relaxing experience, one to be recommended for a good de-stress! Our only problem was a lack of hot water on the Saturday early afternoon in our room (we think the Spa was taking all the water,, as we could only get very lukewarm in our room) - however, very old buildings tend to have very old boilers............. all in all though, a stunning venue we all agreed.

Room Tip: The Hartwell Court rooms are large, most with sitting rooms, have fridges, and accept dogs.
1 Thank Gillyjasper
Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We were here for our friends wedding. They had booked the house for the day and night so we had plenty of time to look around. The building and the setting is fabulous. also the grounds surrounding it look great. It is a superb venue for a wedding or suchlike. The service we received from the staff in the whole was very good. Minor criticism would be the bar, it's very small and the staff really struggled to cope. Other than that it was all great.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MOJONO1
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This was a family celebration of several big birthdays. We were 3 generations, occupying 6 rooms, all in the courtyard wing near the Spa for two nights.
The rooms were lovely. Large very comfy beds with high quality bed linens, fluffy towels and thoughtful extras. Each had a lounge, again with squashy sofas and traditional decor, overall excellent.
I had worried that a large historic house such as this might be a bit chilly - but it wasn't. The heating was generous and flexible - although we did have difficulty opening the windows to get some fresh air in one of our rooms - and our maid was unable to do it either ...
The service was mostly very good, only let down by slow canapes, slow delivery of menus and calling through to dinner - this happened both nights, despite having pre-agreed the timings. The gentlemen who served us were charming however, which helped to make up for the wait ... and the late staff deserve a special mention for great service with a smile.
Dinner on both nights was excellent. Lovely food, beautifully prepared. The only exception was a simple pasta dish pre-arranged for a toddler guest, which was overly salty and deemed unpleasant by the older children and adults who had a taste. Strange that such a simple dish could go so wrong when everything else was perfect.
A highlight for me was breakfast in the private Octagon dining room - overlooking the lawns. On a sunny day (and we were lucky, it shone both days) this was hard to beat. It could only have been bettered by hot toast!
Some of us also enjoyed the spa while there. Treatments were lovely, highly recommended. Changing facilities also good. The only disappointment was a lack of loungers in the pool area. On a busy weekend the 'towels on the beach' rule seemed to apply - which was frustrating for 4 or 5 guests who were unable to find anywhere to sit for an hour or so.
However, these are small niggles in what was a lovely weekend. Hartwell is a lovely venue for a family celebration. It manages to combine luxury with homeliness - we felt very relaxed and welcome and thoroughly enjoyed our treat.

1 Thank Mrs-A_R_K
london
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at Hartwell house this weekend and I must admit, I have been lucky enough to stay in some of the top hotels all over the world, due to my job, but none of them have gone out of their way to make me very so special and honoured as this hotel.

I have some nasty illnesses which means I have a huge list of foods which i can't eat. Some of them are quite basic ingredients which feature in every day items. Before we went to the hotel I emailed them with my very long list and kept my fingers crossed. To be honest I was thinking I was going to starve all the weekend - how wrong I was.

Friday evening I was informed my the hotel manager what foods I could eat off the menu and what alternatives chef had recommend even down to making me my own sauce for one of the dishes if I chose. I had a wonderful meal of pan fried scallops with wild salad leaves, followed by pan roasted sea bass, mash & steamed veggies. It was a delight and I didn't feel as if I was missing out.

Breakfast there was more than enough for me to choose from, as there was a cold buffet and a hot buffet which was groaning with food of the highest quality. Saturday lunch time, I ordered some soup and a sandwich for lunch, yet again the chef remembered my list and i was informed that he didn't recommend the soup on offer, but he was happy to make me a fresh pea soup instead - and it was the most delicious thing I have ever eaten. Saturday night I wasn't feeling 100% but thats because I couldn't resist eating the wonderful homemade cookies I found hidden away in a little tin in the room and they didn't agree with me - my own fault!

That night we ordered room service and they even called up to check which of the meals were for me, so the chef could tweak it slightly! Utterly amazed!

The overall experience of this hotel is like staying in a stately home. Its quiet, peaceful, restful and all you want to do is walk, eat, & curl up by the log fires and read or maybe fall asleep. The staff are around, but you don't feel like you are pestered and nothing is too much trouble for them.

My one complaint was the spa. A little basic and dull and the 1 towel per guest rule is very silly, because after being in the pool I was soaking wet and needed to dry off before I could sit on a lounger, but meant I had no towel to dry off in general when I had left the spa! But this is just a little thing.

We stayed in the Royal Suite (room 10) which was huge and so comfy, with a fab view of the grounds. It wasn't noisy and was the bath was big enough for 2!

Highly recommend this hotel to everyone and anyone who is listening. If you want modern, slick & fancy this isn't the place for you. But if you want historic, quiet, traditional and country house, then I would book up very soon!

Room Tip: Room 10 is awesome and huge. Great views of the grounds with a bath big enough for two!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Fabulous historic house, rooms at front of hotel are very very spacious and comfortable with great views, they are really like junior suites with sofas, desks etc, nothing is omitted. All staff and room service superb. Lots of lounges and comfortable places to sit and read in front of large coal fires. Spa, pool and gym really good. Lovely grounds for walking or just looking, easy to get to from London. Breakfast excellent but dinner on a Sunday night quite disappointing really, having had high expectations. Choice of wines great and prices reasonable. For food quality, found the spa cafe much more reliable and indeed very good cafe food. But the main dining room is lovely.

Room Tip: Opt for a higher priced room
1 Thank Neil018
buckinghamshire
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My partner, myself and sister went to Hartwell House for afternoon tea yesterday what a letdown. Firstly i had tried to book it for about 13.30pm or 14.00pm told they were very busy and couldnt fit us in till16.00pm fair enough but when we arrived just before 16.00pm the place was empty. Staff were polite but on arrival and we were shown to a very cold room. Not one of yes liked the taste of the tea, sandwiches were not too bad,scones and cakes very disappointed, have been here before it was much better will not be going back there again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartwell
Five Arrows Hotel
#1 of 1 in Little Horwood
Holiday Inn Aylesbury
Holiday Inn Aylesbury
#3 of 6 in Aylesbury

Been to Hartwell House? Share your experiences!