“Terribly run”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barryville
Kittatinny Campgrounds
New York City, New York
“Terribly run”
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I will start with the pros, which are few: the area is beautiful, Delaware River campsite spot was great.
Cons: We did come Memorial day weekend, so crowds should be expected, but this place was NOT prepared. We waited in line to check-in, to be told that we have to check-in elsewhere first, and then come back. Needless to say - this whole process took well over 1.5 hours. People in front of us had it worse off - computer glich = double booking and people without a spot.
When our reserved date for tubing came we got to the Adventure Center 15-20 min early. That was useless. They had a huge line again and we didn't get on a tube until 2:30PM, for our scheduled 1pm departure.
The people working there, although nice, were untrained (a few girls mentioned being hired last week) and terribly organized. Simple announcements would have made a lot of people happier.
Once we got on the tube, it was not worth the $30/person. It was slow for the most part - and not enough water - we hit some rock areas and I have a scratched up knee to show for it. It would have been helpful to have paddles to not get stuck on rocks or be pushed toward the shore, etc.
Although quiet hours were 11pm - 6am, they were NOT enforced. We had a group next to us that would play music very loudly til wee hours of the morning. On several occasions people from campsites near and far (the music was really loud) would come by and ask them to please keep it down - and they didn't and the camp staff never seemed to notice.
Overall - I would never go back to Kittattiny. There was a few other shining moments - when we found the Cedar Rapids bar/restaurant just a few hundred feet walking distance from Kittattiny. That and they sell these 'Mystical fire' packets which make your campfire turn blue and green - well worth $2.
Please note I had paid in full for everything in advance, and that was of no help...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LtMosquito

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
PA
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Camping was great, river was even better. Staff was so helpful. I will come here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed 1 November 2009

The staff is very professional. You can’t have a radio on past 11:pm but it was no big deal, There were fire ring at each site and the showers all had lots of hot water.
I have been camping in this area for several years and have stayed at Kittatinny for the first time this year, it was by far the best experience. I will be coming back next year..

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Montclair NJ
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I went to barryville with my wife and some friends for a nice reaxing camping trip. Well the site was very nice(right next to the trout stream) and rafting was great but the crazy partiers need to learn how to respect other people. Loud screaming and laughing well past midnight, blarring music and an air horn or two! Not what we were expecting. We made the best of it and had a fun time but no relaxing was to be had.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Whoababy1
cal216
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Unfortunately this campground is over run with people who have no respect for other campers or the grounds. Many of the campers seem to be city people who are not familiar with camping. Music blasted ALL NIGHT long. M80s blasted off all through the night. Disturbances during the night included crying, roaring laughter, car horns beeping and even bright headlights shining into our tent. Heavy drinking and partying all through the campground. People left garbage, food, etc. out all night. Bathrooms were the filthiest I have ever seen. They had a constant brown water level with hair on the floors. Showers were filthy and cold. Cleaning crew did a lousy job, but it is incredibly difficult cleaning up after people who dump garbage and even underwear on the floors. Don't even attempt to go near the pool. It is the size of a postage stamp and filthy too. Staff did nothing to control the noise or garbage. Bottom line is the staff just doesn't care. Delaware River was great for rafting, but do NOT camp here unless you are looking for an ALL NIGHT party.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank cal216
NJ
Reviewed 20 July 2009

This place is horrible, The bathrooms are disgusting out of code and unsanitary,people were using the woods as bathrooms #2 real charming Huh! The music rule definitely does NOT matter, bring your LOUDEST radio if you want to hear your music.They will not enforce the quiet rule and they also will not give your money back,even when you are leaving because they are not enforcing the rules that they post.I have been going here since 1988 and have watched the place turn to garbage I would suggest that they spend some money on hiring some adults over 30 to work there. I really hope that this message is read and you find someplace else (Like Indian Head) because it ruined my only vacation last year and I got stuck paying for it. DON'T GO HERE

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank AntGraz
rocky hill, connecticut
Reviewed 5 May 2009

This camp ground is an upscale camping facility compared to what I am used to. I am a seasoned camper and have been to many campgrounds all over New England. Check in time can get busy at times. There is enough staff to take care of the cutomers in line in the correct manner. If you forget pack something you can purchase more in their store. I did have a problem with the bathroom facilities the complant was handeled with the staff sanitizing the bathroom and shower area and they were prompt to handel this sentive issue. I recomend this campground for parents with young children. The camping facilities offer a wide rang of activites to keep children busy. The camp has an abondance wildlife to make your adventure even more enjoyable. Early morning I was very suprised (shocked) to wake up to a group of wild turkeys about 20 feet from the tent. The turkey is an animal that has great hearing and vision it usally spooked around loud noise from campers. I am an a white water fan. The locations of the base camps offer canoeing and rafting customers of all skill levels to enjoy what the river has to offer. I can confirm I saw a Bald Eagle swoop across the river and land in a tree. The paintball Facilites escort you in their 2 ton milatary vehicle to the battlefield to give you a signature memory.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barryville
Hotel Fauchere
Catskill Mountains Resort
Catskill Mountains Resort
#2 of 5 in Barryville
The Spring House Commons B & B

Been to Kittatinny Campgrounds? Share your experiences!