“So much potential...not so clean”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Batavia - Darien Lake
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Batavia
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My family typically stays in Holiday Inn Express as we travel, so we picked Bativia, NY HEI as we went to Darien Lake. It is a newer hotel with spacious rooms and a nice breakfast spread. Full marks for that. However, it fell very short on cleanliness. The loby, hall ways and elevator were filthy, tables in the eating area constantly sticky and the rooms, while weren't disgusting, were not clean to the typical standard of HEI.

BEWARE, we booked this stay through Hotels.com thinking that we would get the best rate by prepaying, etc. The rate we secured was $151 per night (tax incl.) for a three night total of $453 booked immediately to creadit card. When I checked out and looked at the statement, it said $123 per night (tax incl.) for a total bill of $369! Balance zero since I prepaid.

I called Hotels.com and they said HEI was not supposed to disclose that rate and they tried to tell me it was a USD to CDN dollar conversion, which I challenged them on. In the end, I got the difference credited to my card, but, suffice it to say, I will never book through Hotels.com again.

Room Tip: We had a king bed room with a pull out and we still had plenty of room.
2  Thank Neil G
Lisa D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Batavia - Darien Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

thnak you for the feedback we will take the constructive critique to make our hotel a greater experience for our guests

Reviewed 14 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Lisa D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Batavia - Darien Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We were in town for the Kingdom Bound Celebrations being held at Darien Lake. This was perfect location and beautiful. I must say there was a lady (name I've forgotten) that worked the complimentary breakfast. She was the most friendly and conscientious person that I have seen enjoying their job in a long time. She spoke with families asking what they were in town for, etc. Just a great person! Pool is small but all other things are awesome! Only been opened for 7 months roughly and just great!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Lisa D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Batavia - Darien Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to be the #1 hotel in Batavia.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We were in town for part off the PGA tournament at Oak Hill in Rochester,when we arrived the lobby was very fresh and modern and the front desk staff was very nice even when we had a room conflict,the staff quickly found the room that we had requested and the hotel was full that night so it must have been hard. The lobby was nice so far the staff were good my only problem was a housekeeper walked by and i found her to be dressed very sloppy,usually at Hampton inns the housekeepers are dressed kinda like nurses and looks very professional.So then we went to are room when we were waiting for the elevators if you look up at the balcony you can see were the dry wall is chipping away ,some what surprising for such a new hotel.Then the elevator came the carpet in it looked very dingy,so were the hallway carpets.when we entered the room were reveled it looked clean and nice except for the bed was made sloppy not like the online pictures.Then we stared seeing little thing,the alarm clock glass was missing,one of the beds bed skirts had a rip in it and was stained,bad patch jobs on the ceiling, and there were marks on the curtain that almost looked like ear wax gross.Then in the bathroom,very clean and modern except the vent was dirty and there was mildew above the shower head.And when i went to take a shower the water pressure was low normally showers and HIexpresse's are very powerful not this one. Bed was somewhat comfy but the pillows were good. Next day breakfast was awesome and staff once again great.We left the hotel somewhat satisfied one post note is there is kinda i thought a sewer smell in some parts of the hotel including outside. Also the need to put a micro/refrigerator in all the rooms we got a pizza and it was huge and we had no place to store in kinda a bummer the pizza was very good to.

Room Tip: The best pizza and wings is from the main street pizzeria the give you a sheet at the front desk wit...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Lisa D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Batavia - Darien Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

thank you for your input we are always looking for ways to make the guest experience better

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I recently stayed here for a couple of nights. The hotel was very clean, modern, and comfortable. I have no complaints about the hotel itself or the staff. This Holiday Inn falls in line with basically all of the other Holiday Inns that have been recently renovated. I had a great stay here, as it was very peaceful and quiet, and also easy to get to. My plan was to stay at this hotel while visiting the Niagara Falls region. I'll admit that it was little bit too long of a drive, about 45 minutes to the falls, so beware about the distance if you are planning to do the same thing. Although doable, I would have preferred to stay somewhere closer to the falls but that was my mistake.

In terms of ameneties, the hotel had a decent sized indoor pool, a small gym with treadmills and bikes, and a computer room as well as two laptops in the lounge. The hotel also offered your standard continental breakfast with the usual eggs, bread, pancakes, cereals, fruits, and juice selections. The breakfast was nothing extraordinary, but it is basically what you would expect from a hotel breakfast. The room I stayed in was nice and big, the bathroom was also comfortable, and we had a 32" LCD TV with cable. Overall, a great experience and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

thank you for your great feedback!

Reviewed 24 July 2013

My husband & I stayed here July 21. I requested a top floor room away from elevator, ice and vending which we were given. The room was located halfway down the hallway so traffic noise was not a problem for us and it was away from the elevator. The guy who works the check-in shift needs a Personality 101 course, for certain. Last name? Room on the 4th floor. Elevator straight ahead and to the left. End of conversation. But he did fulfill his duty of getting us in a room. Air conditioning works very well and the room we had was oversized. The only thing keeping me from giving this hotel a 5 rating is the breakfast service. We stay at HIE whenever possible and this had to be the worst for keeping breakfast items filled. The responsible woman was standing at the front desk visiting while there were no cinnamon rolls, no fruit, coffee pots were nearly empty, and there was no yogurt. The breakfast employee needs to be reminded of her job duties. Hotel is very modern (although elevator carpeting is very stained) and CLEAN. Not much in the near area for eating - - definitely cannot walk to anything.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

thanks for the positive feedback!

Reviewed 20 July 2013

My niece and daughter stayed 2 nights this week for a concert at Darien Lake. The staff was very friendly and their room was very nice. They were very happy with this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

thanks for the positive feedback!