“Great place to stay”
Review of Botsford Briar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beacon
Botsford Briar
Ranked #6 of 6 Beacon B&B and Inns
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

My husband, son and I stayed here and really enjoyed it. Charlie and Shirley (who own/run the place) were so lovely and kind. They went the extra mile to make sure we were comfortable. As a bonus, this place is quite well located: easy walk to Dia, or to Main street shops and restaurants. And frankly, this was very affordable for what we got--good bang for your buck. If/when we return to Beacon, we will stay with them again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Philadelphia PA
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I'm from the Hudson River Valley area originally and thought it would be a nice experience to stay in a B & B I hadn't been to in the past. My boyfriend and I were warmly welcomed by the innkeeper Charlie and the owner Shirley, immediately upon our arrival. The house itself was quite warm and inviting, with unique features and attention paid to detail (linens, windows, furniture.) We particularly enjoyed having breakfast on the back deck, (constructed by Charlie) as it afforded a beautiful view of the Hudson River. It's a short stroll to both Dia/Beacon and the Beacon business/gallery district. The photos on the website captured only some of the quirky charm of Botsford Briar....it's only when we arrived that we realized it exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a room here last minute, and from the moment I spoke with Shirley, the owner, on the phone, she was sweet and warm as can be. The only room they had left to book for the evening was "their best room," she said, which was the Magnolia Room. It was definitely the best! With a nearly completely panoramic view of the Hudson River Valley from either the enclosed deck (which is exclusive to the room), or the outside deck (which is public, but accessible from the enclosed deck). Both Shirley and her inn-keeping partner Charlie were so sweet yet professional, and everything about our stay there was all we wanted it to be. We'll definitely be regulars from now on! :)

Room Tip: The Magnolia Room is incredibly spacious and has a private enclosed deck, attached to it, as well as...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Very friendly owner. Cute house. Great location (a few minutes walk to main street, 20 minute walk to Beacon). Breakfast was solid. My wife and I went for our anniversary and plan to come back again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Turret, which we thought was great. A lot of natural light.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank honorablejudgeito
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 October 2011

If you love period B&Bs with character and charm, you will enjoy a stay at Botsford Briar. The building is a "work in progress" and it was fun to talk with Charles about the projects he has underway -- as well as the work he has done so far, like the amazing deck overlooking the Hudson that he built single-handedly.

Our visit was over a rainy weekend, so we so didn't really have a chance to enjoy that deck; and we missed have the chance to socialize with the other guests over a communal breakfast. On the other hand, having breakfast delivered to our room was had its benefits!

Room Tip: If you want a view of the river, choose the Magnolia Room. It's more expensive, but worth it.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Trying to get away for a spontaneous"birthday" weekend, my partner and I started combing the internet for a B&B with character and charm on the Hudson River. We found it in the Botsford Briar Bed & Breakfast in Beacon! Luckily a family had cancelled and not only did we get in, we got the room we saw on line that was our first choice, The Magnolia Room.

Located on a hill overlooking the Hudson River Valley and just a few minutes walk to Main Street with it's shops, galleries and restaurants, it's a perfect retreat. Our room was spacious and beautifully decorated with access to the outdoor deck that overlooks the Hudson River Valley. Right outside the room is a kitchenette for all the travelers to use.

We had rented a car to drive up the Hudson from NYC and on the way, we got a flat tire. We decided to finish the drive on the "doughnut" tire as we were close enough and fix the tire in Beacon. We told the story to our hosts, Shirley and Charles. Wouldn't you know it, in the morning when Charles brought us our beautifully laid out breakfast tray, he handed us a post it with a name and address written on it. He told us that we had an appointment to have our tire fixed and that we should mention we were from the B&B, they were expecting us.

The next day, after having talked about the sites we wanted to see, Shirley handed us a map that she had highlighted with the best route to travel and points of interest along the way! When we returned to the B&B that night, Shirley and Charles met us on the deck on the back of the house with a birthday cake, complete with toy tire decorations sticking out of it and a bottle of wine!

I am in the customer service industry and it doesn't get any better than this! As far as I'm concerned, there is no other place to stay in Beacon. They have repeat customers in us!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mkanenyc
New York City
Reviewed 7 September 2010

As the summer was on its last legs and with a busy fall at work right around the corner, I wanted to get away. With a little luck, I managed to book a room for two nights during Labor Day weekend with only about a week's notice at the Botsford Briar. I found it on the internet, having never before been to Beacon, a little escape I had planned because of hiking, kayaking, the Dia: Beacon, the boat to tour Bannerman Castle, and Main Street were all within walking distance.

I arrived quite early on Saturday via train and headed up to Main Street. I had a kayaking tour reservation and had planned to do that before checking in at Bostford Briar. However, when there was some miscommunication and the tour left without me, the folks at Mountain Top outdoor store called the proprietors of the Botsford Briar (yeah, it's that small of a town) to see if I could check in early. And all was well; they were happy to take me early. My room was ready and I headed over...and up the rather steep hill of High Street.

Charlie met me halfway up the hill and insisted on taking my bag the rest of the way. The house is charming and looks just as it does on the website photo. Inside, it's filled with curiosities on the first floor. I met Shirley there too. Throughout my stay, she and Charlie were wonderful. They took the time to try to find an alternate kayaking solution for me, suggested restaurants, went to the trouble of having my breakfast ready quite early on my last morning there since I had to leave before the normal time, etc.

I stayed in the Wisteria Room, which was lovely. The bed was comfy. There were a couple of chairs as well as a table with two dining chairs with bottles of water on a tray. In case it was needed, there was an AC unit. Lots of sunlight could come in through the generous windows (though you could pull curtains and shades too). Wifi was free. The TV wasn't a flat screen, but I didn't watch it so, who really cares? The room had wonderful charm and was clearly lovingly decorated.

The bathroom was a private one down the hall. However, they've thoughtfully added a curtain one can pull to really make that whole wing private (so you don't feel odd walking to the bathroom in your pajamas; nobody can see you). I loved the claw foot tub and had a nice soak each night. It was a large bathroom with nice towels and was meticulously clean.

I spent a good portion of both evenings watching the sunset on the beautiful shared deck out back. It's at the top of High Street and you can see down and across the Hudson River. It's beautiful and a wonderful quiet spot (or a place to chat with other guests, as I did the second evening). Also shared for the guests is a small room with a fridge, cupboard (thoughtfully stocked with glasses, wine glasses, corkscrews, etc.), and a single serving coffee maker for anything you wanted to make or store yourself.

Breakfast was quite generous. There was one freshly baked (and still warm!) item each day along with other breads, a fantastic fruit plate, juice, and coffee. The only thing I would have added would have been a hard boiled egg or something so that I could get in a little protein. But with what was provided, I really wasn't lacking at all in nourishment. It's brought to your room at your chosen time on a tray.

The location is great. It's easy walking distance to the train station, Dia: Beacon, boat launch, and Main Street. It's within walking distance of a trail head for hiking as well though you should know that it's a long hike in itself up Main Street to reach it.

I'm so glad I came to Botsford Briar to get away. It's so clear how much love (and personal talent/handiwork) Charlie and Shirley have put into the place. And they really take pride in making it a wonderful retreat. I wouldn't be surprised if I found myself back there again when weary of the city.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank soubrettina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beacon
The Thayer Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Poughkeepsie/Fishkill
Hampton Inn Fishkill
Hampton Inn Fishkill
#1 of 14 in Fishkill

Been to Botsford Briar? Share your experiences!