Mt. Beacon Bed and Breakfast
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Roundhouse(Beacon)
  • Spa
Economy Inn(Newburgh)
US$85
Travelocity
Quality Inn & Suites Fishkill(Fishkill)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$101
US$127
US$167
US$161
All reviewsmaster suiteb bliving roommain streetfrench coffee pressa great place to stayget awaymtfireplaceaccommodationstrailheadweekendhost
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I when for a "little" hike in the morning before we checked in to Mt. Beacon (almost 4.5 hours). We arrived to Mt. Beacon B&B sweaty, exhausted and burnt out. Barbara warmly greeted us and showed us around. This house is so charming!! Barbara showed us the pool and made us feel at home with towels waiting for us outside our door. She said the pool will do us some good and to come meet then on the viranda. The pool was just what we needed. When asked about recommending restaurants she did an outstanding job..whether you want casual or elegant, she knew where to send us. I also highly recommend Max's on Main and we did dessert/drinks at Roundhouse by the Falls. Back to the B&B, the bed and pillows were like sleeping on clouds. Did I mention the bear claw tub!!! Then in the morning we went to the grand dining room with orange juice, our own french coffee press (which I am now absolutely obsessed with) and these ricotta, blueberry and orange zest pancakes ready for us to enjoy. The ambiance of the house was grand but the two ladies really made us feel like we were at home here. We talked to Lauren before we left and asked about antique stores. She recommended Graymoor in Garrison...only 15 min. down the road. I got some AMAZING deals there (your really have to pick through things). All in all, my husband is in the military and I don't see him much so this 2 hour getaway from our Upstate home was absolutely amazing and we thank Barbara and Lauren for helping make this a memorable weekend.

Room Tip: Not an issue for us but, the two rooms beside the Captain's room have their bathrooms in their rooms. Our bathroom was literally a foot outside our door and we never ran into anyone. You might want to bring a little robe but I didn't care walking a foot to my door with a towel wrapped around me
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MiaMaria1978
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This place is 4-stars in a lot of ways. A beautiful home, lovely little pool, comfortable room, clean - some wear around the edges, but no more than expected from a family-run place. Lauren, the daughter of the mother-daughter proprietors, was very friendly. Unfortunately, Barbara attended to us most of our stay. I'm sure Barbara would be fine if you are happy to do exactly as she says and want no "special" accommodations whatsoever. My boyfriend and I thought we were pretty easy guests, but it was my birthday, so we did want a few small "special" things - 3, to be exact:

1. Flowers in the room when we arrived
2. Breakfast in our room (by which I mean we carried up our trays from the dining room and brought them back down as soon as we were done)
3. To be allowed to use the pool for an hour or so just after we checked out.

To her credit, Barbara did allow us each thing, but she let us know pretty furiously how displeased she was with each. When my boyfriend pointed out that she charged the flowers to my credit card and not to his, she gave him a talking to and said it was done so that's that.

She told us that "we don't do" food in the rooms and how stressful it was for her, but only AFTER she let us eat in there. She also chastised my boyfriend for not eating his breakfast, which was mostly butter and eggs. When we made the reservation, they asked if we had any dietary restrictions and he explained he's a vegan (that was on the phone with Lauren, but he also mentioned it to Barbara twice). We didn't mind the mess up, but we did mind getting a talking to about then not eating it.

We were chastised repeatedly, but didn't respond because we were so shocked. In the end, after agreeing to let us use the pool, she locked us out! We had to change our clothes at a local coffee shop. This was at 1 PM, several hours before the other guests were supposed to arrive at 5PM. Barbara kept lecturing me about how stressful it was to have us there with other guests coming, but spent most of the time napping in the sun.

My boyfriend later told me she'd gotten pretty upset with him on the phone when he said our estimated time of arrival was 2-4 PM, and when we changed it to 3-5 PM a couple days before arrival. She said that was unacceptable and that our ETA had to be more precise because she "had to run errands." But we were driving up for the first time, so really couldn't be more precise.

As we were leaving, Lauren returned home. She very cheerfully asked how we were enjoying our afternoon, so we told her the truth. She was appalled. Barbara came out, visibly upset but handling it by pretending to laugh at us. She stood on a porch forcibly smiling and chuckling, and when I told her she made us feel very unwelcome and like we were trespassers in her private home - especially that part where she told me we could use the pool for an hour but then had to "immediately vacate the premises," like we were a security threat! - she responded: "Your feelings are not my problem."

Well, sure, my feeling angry at my friend is not her problem. But my feeling unwelcome in her bed and breakfast? I thought that might be valid.

In the end, Lauren is refunding our entire 1-night stay. If you can minimize interactions with Barbara, or if you can do exactly as she says, this could be a really lovely place. That is why I'm so disappointed that I can never stay here again. But I look for a bed and breakfast where I can feel relaxed and at home.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
21  Thank VeronicaLangtry
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We found Barbara and Lauren to be so welcoming, friendly and accommodating. The Inn is so clean and relaxing. We stayed in the room with the fireplace - it was great, they had the fire all ready for us when we got home from dinner in town. The breakfast she made was unbelievably delicious - ricotta/blueberry/orange pancakes! We are already looking forward to our next visit. The inn has a beautiful pool to enjoy in the summer, the surrounding area must be beautiful in the fall, we truly enjoyed the fireplace in the winter and the spring is also a perfect time to visit. I'd say it is a place to go anytime of year. We really enjoyed the town of Beacon, plenty to do, great shops, entertainment, restaurants, craft beer bar - The Hop was great on Main Street. We really enjoyed Dia Beacon - but would highly recommend you take their free tour - it really helped us understand the art alot better. We don't have one negative comment - the Inn was really special. You can tell the owners really care about it and they put their heart and lots of love into what they are doing.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daisy C
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I stayed at Mt. Beacon B&B in December, a relatively quiet period in Beacon. We arrived later than planned at about 10pm but the innkeeper greeted us very warmly nonetheless. As it turns out, we were the only people at the B&B that night so we got bumped up to a bigger room at no extra cost - a lovely bonus! The house is absolutely beautiful, especially during the Holiday season, and the finishing touches are superb. The innkeeper was extremely pleasant and full of insider advice on where to eat and what to see. Beacon is a stunning little town with plenty to offer on a short trip - especially if you're a fan of the arts and eating well. Bare in mind that it gets VERY quiet after about 9pm in winter.

Overall, a fantastic stay - just remember to be downstairs by 9am in the morning(s) because your breakfast won't wait, as we were unfortunate enough to discover.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank damien c
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed at Mt. Beacon Bed and Breakfast and it is an absolutely beautiful place. Clean, cozy, and there is a fire place in at least on of the bedrooms. They gave us firewood at night to light a fire. The breakfasts in the morning were absolutely delicious. Barbara is a magnificent cook who really takes the breakfast seriously, and it was very much appreciated.

They Bed and Breakfast is walking distance from town so there was no need to drive or take a taxi to get to restaurants or shopping.

We had a great time and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple