“Our Favorite Local Restaurant”
Review of Max's on Main

Max's on Main
Ranked #4 of 76 Restaurants in Beacon
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Newburgh, New York
“Our Favorite Local Restaurant”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I have been living near Beacon for about 3 years now and Max's has always been our favorite place to eat. Anytime friends/family visit, we take them to Max's. Great variety on the menu offering simple and complex American comfort foods. Although it might look a little dive-y from the outside, the atmosphere is very warm, laid back, and fun. Tavern/ pub on one side (with bar and high top tables) and dining room on the other with a wall separating them. Dining room is on the small side, so definitely call ahead if you're going with a big party. Live music is offered most friday /weekend nights. It gets pretty loud in both rooms (in a good way), so plan to have dinner earlier to avoid the bands if you're looking for a quiet evening. Staff is always friendly. Great laid back place to get away from some of the more hipster places springing up in Beacon. Favorite meal: Seared ahi tuna BLT with avocado.

• Visited July 2014

Northern NJ
“Max's on Main~ Good Food & Ambience”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

A great place for an early dinner....right on Main Street in Beacon, which also turned out to be a fun town to explore. The restaurant/bar has a vibe similiar to what I would expect at 'Cheers' in Boston, the fictional bar in the old sitcom. Everyone did seem to know one another, and the patrons as well as the servers were very warm and friendly. The food was quite tasty, and the portions more than adequate. We will definitely come back to Max's for lunch or dinner next time we're in the area!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Karyn M
New York
“Very laidback and welcoming”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Recently had the chance to spend a day in Beacon, NY with a friend who loves the town. She loves Max's on Main so I was up for trying something new. The owner is very friendly and is always checking on the guests which is great and something you don't always see. My friend ordered the pulled pork sandwich which comes with corn fritters (her favorite part of the meal). The corn fritters are made with real corn so you see actual corn in the fritters. She said they were heaven in one bite, as always. I placed an order for a hot turkey sandwich only to be told five minutes later that they were sorry but the kitchen was out of gravy. So I settled for an appetizer of pierogies thinking they were going to be homemade. They were not homemade at all - rather, they resembled the kind you buy in a box at the supermarket. However, the chef did season them well and they were sautéed with onions and butter. I was very disappointed that I could not get the turkey sandwich that I had originally ordered and thought it was odd that the kitchen would run out of gravy. Maybe next time when I am in Beacon, I will give Max's a try but will ask if the kitchen has gravy for the turkey sandwich before we sit down as there are lots of other restaurants in town.

I did enjoy the atmosphere in the restaurant and thought the owner was very responsive to his guests. I don't think our server made him aware of the fact that I had to place an order for something else due to a shortage of one thing.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank schnauzermom05
Beacon, New York
“Max's is comfortable, friendly and tasty”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Max's on Main Street is a go-to restaurant for me - they are always open, and the owners are friendly and welcoming. The food is delicious - "American Comfort Food."

• Visited April 2014
New York City, New York
“A great find”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Passing through beacon on a trip farther upstate and came across this restaurant. Simple yet delicious food and service that was above and beyond. Definitely a place that locals go back to. We would definitely of back.

• Visited June 2014