“Beautiful Hotel - Staff Could Try A Bit Harder To Please Guests”
Review of Bear Mountain Inn

Bear Mountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bear Mountain
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed here for a few nights on a business trip. This is a very unique place with an old time feel to the entire experience. Overall a good visit but there is room for improvement.

Initial impression is that you are visiting a hotel from the golden age of hotels in the area. It has a very early 20th century feel to the hotel and location. This is quite a different experience than most places that you will visit.

Registration is fast and efficient. Desk staff was polite though not overly engaging and friendly. Most information that I needed I had to ask – there was not a sincere desire to inform me of the basics that I would need for my stay.

The hotel was renovated a few years ago. The facility is beautiful inside. The floors, meetings spaces and dining rooms are amazing. You feel as if you want to walk around with your camera and take photos throughout the building. It is that beautiful inside.

My room was a corner room on the 3rd floor. Easily one of the nicest rooms I have ever rented. Spacious, well designed furnishings a with a beautiful bathroom. Amenities were plentiful and there was a great workspace to use near a window with a beautiful view of Hessian Lake.

The included breakfast is very well presented in an amazing dining room, the centerpiece of the entire Inn. Large vaulted ceilings with a massive stone fireplace overwhelm you in this room. One of the most unique spaces you will ever visit in a hotel.

The meeting spaces were large and well furnished. The meeting and banquet staff were very professional, helpful and accommodating. They were able to meet our needs and changes throughout our visit. The combination of the spaces and staff make this a very good place for meetings and conferences.

There were a few areas of improvement. With problem resolution, the desk staff could try harder. They gave up on my most likely normal daily meeting guest needs to quickly. However, I will single out the housekeeper Patricia and the desk employee Bethany who were outstanding with meeting and exceeding expectations. They are the freindly, professional and outgoing types you hope to find when visiting any hotel. True assets to the Bear Mountain Inn.

Another source of disappointment was in the evening. The restaurant and bar area closed early with no communication to the guests. While I understand perhaps their desire to save on payroll during slower nights, it seems that the few that were that evening had a lesser experience balanced on the early closing. At the very least they should inform guests about the change in hours. At best commit to the experience and keep the bar open for the full time posted. The few extra hours of payroll would have paid for itself in guest satisfaction to end the day in such a beautiful dining room and lounge.

Overall a great experience. I definitely will go back. The atmosphere and rooms are beautiful. A great location for family visits as well as business. I highly recommend this location for meetings and conferences. The facilities and staff for these types of visits are top notch. The rooms are what any traveler would hope for when staying in a hotel. The location ties together the specifics of the facility to make this a don’t miss location to visit when in the lower Hudson Valley.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank vspiotti
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feedback regarding your recent experience at Bear Mountain. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your meeting accommodations, and are equally committed to improving where you noted potential to do so.
Your recommendation is so very appreciated, and we thank you for that. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We said "wow" the moment we walked into our room. It was very spacious and very clean. I understand that it has recently been renovated and it shows. The room was very updated with some cabin woodsy flairs. The electrical fireplace was a nice touch and the bathroom was fantastic. The mattress was OK for us but the area and the halls of the hotel were very quite for the night we stayed. We decided to get our first massages ever and the Spa was really a treat! We will definitely be doing that again. One of the best things is how close the inn is to many hiking trails.

The free continental breakfast in the morning was good and was really happy to see a waffle maker!

A couple of things to keep in mind:
-The thermostat cannot go higher than 72 deg
-The fireplace/heater will not work unless the thermostat is set to 70 deg
-There is no manual way to turn off the AC unit in the bedroom
-There was no bath in the room we stayed (fine for us). There is a fantastic shower with a tiled seat.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sean P
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

We couldn't be more pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Bear Mountain. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. We hope we might have the opportunity to welcome you back soon....and even invite you for your second spa treatment!

All the Best.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We were here for a special family event and were pleasantly surprised by the inn's rooms, of which there are only 15, We had a very large, nicely appointed and newly remodeled room with an extremely spacious bath. The room had a view of the adjoining lake and was on the third floor near the lovely spa. The public spaces for weddings, etc. were quite nice, as was the main restaurant with a beautiful fireplace. Food at the restaurant in the evening was quite good. Only negatives were the continental breakfast, which was pretty sparse. First day there they put out the machine to make your own waffles, but realized about ten minutes after we arrived they had no waffle mix, so not hot option. It also took about ten minutes to get a spoon-- after I asked. They were too busy taking away the waffle machine. So they could use a toaster in the a.m. and a bit more help and attention. But the continental breakfast was included, and a surprise, so not too much to complain about. The facility itself is lovely and relaxing and the lake, zoo, ice rink, merry go round, boating, etc make this a lovely getaway. They could also use more help at the desk. They may still be getting the kinks out as this place was closed for 6 years and totally redone and then reopened.

Room Tip: I asked for tub in the room and got it. Not all rooms have tubs. Try to get a water view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank pickytraveler49
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We came over to the Bear Mountain Inn for a night with our two sons. We had a wonderful stay, the room was so spacious and beautifully furnished and decorated. The feel of the inn is very magical, the location is great, and it is so great to see all these pictures from the long time ago on the walls that tells that this place is rich in history. The staff is very professional and friendly, very accommodating and patient, makes you feel welcome and treat you with respect. We are coming back for sure. We have left the charger behind, and immediately we got a call to let us know. Truly a great place that knows how to treat their guests.

Room Tip: The rooms are very spacious, we stayed in a room with two double beds and had plenty of space with e...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ursula7772005
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

This was my third stay and probably the last. One, the prices have skyrocketed and even the Inn is not special enough to warrant nearly $300 a night!
Also, I had a bad customer service experience, though a fabulous massage with Eric, when I used the spa. I booked neck and shoulder massage at one price but was charged more. I was argued with by the spa recetionist. So I paid her higher price. When I checked the website, I saw I was right and showed her. She said I would get a refund but it never happened. And this was after she made me feel bad about not having cash for tip by continually empasizing that the masseusse had to wait to get the tip in their paycheck if I charged it. But since I had driven over from the Lodge and just brought a credit card I didnt have cash on me (and your payroll policies arent my rrsponsibility) there wasnt much I could do but feel crummy about it.
Otherwise it was clean and charming and the staff at the Lodge was friendly. Too bad it is unaffordable to me now.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank bornatravlingal
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience, and please accept our most sincere of apologies. The Spa at Bear Mountain is independently operated, however I have forwarded your feedback directly to them as it is absolutely never acceptable for our guests to be spoken to in this manner. Immediate training will take place to ensure the warmth and hospitality felt throughout the resort are also mirrored in The Spa.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed in the Inn after a friend's wedding in the main building. The room was spacious and well-decorated. There are plenty of activities nearby such as ice skating and the carousel, so it's a nice retreat even in winter. This is a large property (Inn, Lodge, and Cottages) so it's easy to get confused or lost when arriving; be sure to know exactly where you booked your reservation. Great atmosphere for a wedding as well. Definitely plan to visit again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and most certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Our Best.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Last year was the first in 20 that our family did not make the yearly after Christmas visit and we missed it! This year, because of family scheduling conflicts only my husband and I could go. It was a change with just the two of us (instead of 9-10) but we were excited at the opportunity to stay at the renovated Inn. I loved this place before and my feelings certainly have not changed. The renovations are impressive. Our room was large and comfortable...a 1/2 step up from the Overlook Lodge...certainly fancier. I was a little surprised that the caulking around the tub had a moldy look. It could be remedied with a spray of bleach. The staff was cordial, helpful and friendly throughout our stay. Though the Inn was lovely and we enjoyed our visit I was disappointed that what used to be the large great room is now the 1915 restaurant. It was so nice before when groups could gather in front of that terrific fireplace and warm up after ice skating or hiking. The wonderful rustic furniture that used to be in that room is now in sitting areas in the lobby...nice... but it's a shame that the only people who can enjoy the fireplace now are the diners in the pricey restaurant. We reserved 2 nights at the Inn but decided to stay an extra night (remember, I love the place). Due to a wedding we had to take a room at the Overlook Lodge. No disappointment here. This place is warm, cozy and is well managed. We had a plumbing issue and the young man in charge (I think his name is Chris) was professional and attentive and took care of the problem quickly. He also kept a fire blazing in the common area. Really appreciated this. The rooms are smaller here and a little more rustic. Our bathtub glazing was starting to peel but who cares? The phenomenal view of the Hudson from our room made everything good!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rpv13

Thank you so much for your lovely review - and for your wonderfully loyal patronage of Bear Mountain. We are honored to have you as our guest and are thrilled that you enjoy the grounds. Changing the great room into Restaurant 1915 has been a transition, but our hope is that guests will enjoy it with the same vigor as in generations past.
Thank you again for making Bear Mountain a family tradition. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bear Mountain
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
#1 of 2 in Central Valley

Been to Bear Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!