“Beautiful setting spoiled by service”

Bear Mountain Inn's Overlook Lodge
Reviewed 16 August 2014

First of all, the setting was beautiful as you would expect from state park type lodging. The rooms were well appointed and looked like they were decorated with a Cabela's catalog. However, this is were the charm ends. Finding the lodge provided additional stress to an already long day of driving (10 hours) and their address is not recognized by GPS. The phone tree does not allow you to talk to a human nor provides you access to any of the lodge staff. Upon arrival we were greeted by a most unpleasant desk attendant, closed dining facilities, broken WiFi, and not even an ice machine for guest. The continental breakfast was terrible, I have had better at low cost budget hotels. A total lack of attention to detail and guest services clearly falls on management and a state administered system that does not understand how to run hospitality services. I would not want to judge the entire New York state park system on this one, first time experience, but it would be doubtful if we took another chance at a bad stay. My wife and I tried to be as nice and considerate when checking out and mentioned we did not have a very nice experience and the morning desk attendant said she was sorry and would pass that information to management and was sure they would contact us...... however, there was no follow-up. But given the lack of customer service to date, we were not surprised.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travel D
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn's Overlook Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and please accept our apologies that you encountered so many hurdles to a peaceful and enjoyable stay. I immediately forwarded your comments to our front office team and I understand our Accommodations Manager will contact you directly in order to discuss your experience.
Thank you for your review and alerting us to where we can improve.

There are newer reviews for Bear Mountain Inn's Overlook Lodge

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My wife and I stayed in one of the stone cottages at the Bear Mountain Inn Overlook Lodge. My general opinion is that its a quaint, average place for a weekend retreat. Acknowledging that the stone cottages were built in the 1930's (I think), the lodge, stone cottages and grounds are adequate. Sadly, the parking lot at the cottages had trash strewn around and broken glass. The grass areas surrounding the stone cottages had broken glass also. There were spider webs around the entrance to our cottage (Springs), especially at night when they would wait to drop on your head walking into the building. At breakfast the first morning at the Lodge, we sat outside, but had to clear away cobwebs from the chairs first. The railing overlooking the lake was full of cobwebs, and looking up at the ceiling my arachnophobia definitely kicked in.
Our room in the stone cottage was adequate, but tired.
The free breakfast at the Lodge is a bit skimpy. Breakfast is a small assortment of muffins, cereal or oatmeal packets, coffee/tea, and OJ. Would it hurt to have a bowl of apples and bananas?

On a bright note, the people at the Lodge were very helpful and friendly. Kudos to them for making a somewhat tired place a little more cheerful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed here for a wedding on the ground floor of the lodge. We were on the second floor and could not hear any noise from the wedding, despite being right above it (closest room facing the lake).
First off, be sure that your GPS can find this place. The address did not come up in our (non apple) GPS nor on our iphones, so we were stuck with "head to Bear Mountain" - which on a busy Saturday in July is NOT a good thing. It was packed and we got shuttled around multiple times and interrogated every time we stated we were staying at the lodge - like they did not believe us, even when we showed our itinerary. I believe this was state/NY transit/local help, not the lodge, so I did not factor that into my ranking; I say it as an FYI to other customers on a busy summer day.
Once we finally found the right place, it was well kept, although dated, but quite charming. I imagined staying here 20 - 30 years ago. No elevator service at the lodge, but an easy climb up and down the stairs if you're mobile.
The grounds were so nice and picturesque. Lovely!
The service was friendly once we were in the lodge and they had conveniences to buy if you forgot (or just needed) anything.
Room was spacious, had ample toiletries and amenities. One thing, however, was AC could have worked better (even with it cranked up, still hot and it wasn't a super humid day) and lack of wifi - but you dont really need it in this vacation space.
Should mention the wedding - like I said, two stories below us, we heard nothing even when we went to bed early (well before it was over). And I'm a light sleeper so I would have heard it. The service at the wedding itself was impeccable, from a guest's POV. Excellent job.
Overall, I would come here again, now that I know where I'm going! :)

Room Tip: If you aren't with a wedding, request a room looking out over the pond, further away. Just in ca...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lizzymcboo
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn's Overlook Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your recent experience at Bear Mountain. We are thrilled that you enjoyed yourself and the grounds at the park. Please accept our apologies with your directions to the park. Our location is a mystery to some technologies, but we will continue to work diligently to overcome this.
Thank you for staying with us at Bear Mountain. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My man and I wanted to spend the day in the area and decided to spend Saturday night here. I am so glad we chose this place. It was quiet and so very relaxing. Check-in/check-out was quick and the staff were friendly. It rained for about an hour after we arrived, but the rest of the day was clear and sunny, so we were able to get back out to walk the grounds and see the lake. We weren't prepared for any big hikes, but the walk around Hessian Lake was a perfect stroll. There are plenty of places to stop, sit and just take in the beauty of the lake and the woods. We weren't in a hurry for dinner, and the restaurant closed at 9:00, so we decided to have dinner at a local BBQ restaurant, which closed later. We returned to the lodge and it was quiet and peaceful. My man had the best sleep I've seen him have in a long time.

Our room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the lake and the view was beautiful. I highly recommend a lake view room We kept the drapes open - no one to peek in except the birds in the trees! I loved the rustic feel and décor and the lobby is open and inviting with a terrace overlooking the lake. In reference to another reviewer's comments about wedding noise, I guess we were lucky, as there didn't seem to be any wedding's going on. It was blissfully quiet!

The area is full of history and natural beauty. You can't beat the variety of outdoor activities available: hiking, biking, cycling, kayaking, etc. You can conveniently pick up many trails from inside Bear Mountain State Park. I can't wait to come back. I am already looking at the calendar!

Room Tip: Lakeview room - 2nd floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We have known the formally named Bear Mountain Inn since the early 1950's. During that time it has been through many versions, upgrades and down grades. The latest version is a decidedly upscale improvement. Although we did not stay overnight, we did look the place over and had a most enjoyable lunch in the upstairs dinning area. The first floor cafeteria style setting was quite crowded and noisy. Service on the second floor was friendly and quite professional. Someone has correctly instructed the staff or at least made good choices. The food was surprisingly excellent when compared to past incarnations at this location. The previous comments about weddings and like events were also our concern before we read those reviews.
The decor is very tasteful for this environment. The new restaurant looked fantastic and was well designed.The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating as we asked specific questions based upon our previous experiences and now historical view of this location. In summation the place looks promising and we intend to try a weekend getaway in the off season.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn's Overlook Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your lunch, and we hope you have the opportunity to visit us for an overnight stay very soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Make sure that before you book a room, you call the Lodge to ask whether they have a wedding event taking place during the time of your stay.

We booked a room through their online system for a quick one night getaway and for some reason they put us as non-wedding guests on the first floor right next to the lobby. Also, they hold their wedding parties in the level below the first floor so the whole night our room was pounding with bass from the party and we could hear the DJ and guests clearly through the floor.

Finally at 8:30 pm, I decided I would rather drive one hour back home rather than endure the night listening to the noise from below. I went to the front desk and asked for permission to cancel my reservation without being charged. The woman at the front desk was very helpful and fortunately she was able to find us a room in one of their stone cottages further down the road.

So make sure you check with the hotel about any events they have planned during the time you will be staying there. If they do have an event, ask them if they can put you on the second floor at the back of the lodge. I honestly don't know why this would not automatically be their policy for non-wedding guests.

The room was very comfortable and clean, but it could not make up for the noise coming from the floor below.

Room Tip: Request a room on the second floor furthest from the central stairwell
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hannah V
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn's Overlook Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Please accept our apologies - both for your inconvenience, and your discomfort during the early parts of your stay. It is absolutely not policy to place non-wedding guests in a location where they might be disrupted by events taking place in the Lodge - and wherever possible, we make all efforts to ensure this does not happen. This was certainly our mistake, and we appreciate the opportunity to right our wrong and place you in more suitable accommodations.

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I decided somewhat impulsively to leave Pittsburgh (snow, snow, freezing rain, and more snow) to go to the Hudson Valley region (winter wonderland and tolerable temperatures-good timing I guess) and NYC. We made reservations at a fantastic off-season rate on line at the Overlook Lodge. On arrival, we were greeted by a sign on the entrance that said that it was closed at that time with a number to call. It would have been nice to have been told this ahead of time. We were a little confused so we went to the Inn which was also part of the property and were warmly greeted and given an immaculately clean, comfortable, cozy room overlooking the lake. It was very hard to remain upset about the confusion when virtually everyone we dealt with at the hotel was extremely hospitable and went out of their way to make this an enjoyable experience for us.

We did alot of walking in the crisp air in a beautiful environment and felt invigorated.

Later we checked out the dining area which was rustic with a huge stone fireplace, complete with a moose and elk (?) head. Unfortunately, there was no fire, as they said that the firewood was not dry. To have a wonderful fireplace sans fire in the winter season is not optional in my opinion. We ordered some appetizers/tapas to take back to our room which were very. very good, but a bit pricey. While waiting for the food, we had drinks at the bar; the bartender was very personable and friendly: the drinks were well-made.

A suggestion I have is that instead of giving guests a typed page of amenities upon arrival, why not have a brochure that includes and describes the history of the area and the inn? The are is steeped in history and I am sure the Bear Mountain Inn has had may famous people visit (TR, FDR?) and stories to tell. Putting more historical pictures of the inn in the lobby would be interesting and warm it up a bit. I enjoyed that photos of the sky jump and the pool/lake circa 1930's (?) in our room. After I left, I found out why the lake was called the Hessian Lake-although even though I woke up early, I peeked out at the Lake in the darkness and did not see any wild, Hessians screaming around the lake--maybe because it was not during a thunderstorm.

Overall, a great time at Bear Mountain Inn.

Note: Western Pennsylvania is also beautiful, but we do not have the historic lodges and inns you New Yorkers do as far as I know (exception: Gateway Lodge in Cooks Forrest-check it out if you are in the area). If you want to get away look in your own back yard!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn's Overlook Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at Bear Mountain. Your lovely recommendations are terrific.....and originally begin from western PA myself, I can attest to its beauty!
As note - we are working on compiling historical data as we speak. As one might imagine, hundreds of year of history to comb through, it's quite the task to edit such a voluminous document. Nonetheless, we will have something to offer our guests shortly.

All the Best!

#1 of 1 in West Point
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Point
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peekskill - Hudson Valley
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson

Been to Bear Mountain Inn's Overlook Lodge? Share your experiences!