“Small, but Ok..”
Review of Guppy's Tavern

Guppy's Tavern
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Bemus Point
Cuisines: American
Description: Locally renowned for good food from scratch! Over 13 beer taps and 40 bottles to choose from. Come enjoy our unique fun, casual atmosphere of our outdoor pavilion and patio! There is something for everyone at Guppy's. Voted 2016 Best Overall Dining Experience (Lake Erie Living Magazine)!
Jamestown, New York
“Small, but Ok..”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My wife and went there tonight to try someplace new. The service was good, and the food was OK, but not outstanding. In he summer the place is busy so we thought we would try it before the outsiders hit. It's not on my list as my favorite place, I'm still trying to find that locally. When we find it they will get rich on us alone. We eat out 2-3 times a week, but just can't find that place where we are wowed. We will continue to look with hopes of finding a restaurant that blows us away.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Jim W

Dewittville, New York
“Expensive, not the same anymore”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

If you have a family and budget, don' t bother. We use to love to go there and hadn't been in a while. Decided as a treat one evening to take the kids. Shocked to find that prices are way up, portions way down. Personal pizza is just an open faced sub roll with sauce and whatever you choose I guess. Lasagna. A JOKE! A small and I mean small, square piece and a tiny piece of garlic bread to share plate space? Nothing else? For what they charged for it, ridiculous! Chicken tenders were nasty. Fries never got ate as they were overcooked. The Stromboli that we used to love came not fully cooked. A big disappointment for us. We won't be wasting our money there again. What happened? :-(

• Visited October 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Won't go back”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The food (fish) was really good, but the service was inefficient, and actually rude. We were told there were no seats available outdoors, when there plainly were. We were made to wait indoors where it was dark and cold. After mentioning twice that their really were 2 empty 2 person tables available, we were finally (reluctantly) seated. We were ignored for a while eventually menus were dropped off without a greeting. Finally, the waitress stopped to take our order. Again, no greeting, just the look of "I'm here now, what do you want). By the way, for the area, this is a pricey restaurant without the service or ambiance to go with it. As I mentioned originally, the food was very good, but even though 2 waitresses contantly walked by us, no one asked if we wanted anything else, how the food was, etc. We finally flagged down the waitress to get a check after we weren't asked if we wanted dessert.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank cruiselover7
Pittsburgh
“I don't get it”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I did not have the same experience as other reviewers. On the plus side, the staff could not have been nicer. But the food was a big disappointment. We both had the "whaler" fish sandwich. "Guppy" would have been a better name for it. While tasty, the portion was very small. While most fish sandwiches hang way over the ends of the bun, this one fit well within its confines. The fries appeared to be made from frozen, not fresh potatoes. Our server, while sweet and trying hard, was clueless. He didn't know a stout from a lager. In a place with a whole page of beers, at least basic knowledge is expected. The final blow was when i asked if the coconut pecan dessert with "whipped cream" was made with real whipped cream, because I detest cool whip. "Absolutely, I was assured." Dessert arrived, and, sure enough, it was not real whipped cream. I pointed this out. Server said, "oh, I don't know why I said that; I know it's not." No offer to take it off the check. I'll pass next time.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Queenofdirt
Curwensville, Pennsylvania
“excellent find”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My husband and I have been to Bemus several times, but this was our first trip to Guppy's--which we tried on the recommendation of TripAdvisor reviews. We will definitely go again! It was crowded (on the outdoor patio and inside), but the service was quick and excellent. The food was great too. The name implies a seafood restaurant, but there is a wide variety on the menu (I had pulled pork, my husband had chicken parmesan). One of the better places near Bemus.

• Visited August 2013