We took a few days in the middle of Presidents' week to take the kids skiing at Belleayre. We've previously gone to the Bershires and stayed in depressing little bed and breakfasts where we felt like uninvited guests imposing on the owners' uptight regimen. Mind you, we're not difficult guests--we ski, go have dinner, then head back to our room for a good book and glass of wine. Our kids are quiet and well-behaved; they read, then go to bed--no shouting, jumping or banging.
But the past few B&B's we've stayed in have made us feel like Anne Frank's family tip-toeing around in an attic in Amsterdam.
So we decided to bag the Berkshires and head to Belleayre after reading reviews that described an uncrowded mountain, decent restaurants and the Starlite Motel.
The Starlite is so much more than a drive-up place to sleep for the night. Michelle's love for her business was apparent in our room's cleanliness, cheerful decor, and thoughtful touches. The kids shunned the breakfast foods we'd brought in favor of the breakfast basket waiting in our room (there were two large baskets the next morning, to our daughters' delight).
During our three-day stay, we really felt at home. It was so nice, after a day of skiing, to drive up to to out cheery motel. We'd relax before dinner while the kids played out back and built a snowman. Both our neighbors on either side had kids, but all was quiet and peaceful.
So many hotels are over-rated; much less than they could be. The Starlite is much more--it exceeds the definition of motel.
Michelle recommended Brio's in Phoenicia for dinner and they did not disappoint. Great pizza (sesame seed crust--amazing!). Terrific waitress and a good IPA beer on tap.
The next night we splurged and went to The Peekamoose just down the road from The Starlite. I love finding these dining gems in unexpected places--terrific menu, fabulous food.
Loved Belleayre, perfect for our kids who are still getting their ski legs. No cowboys crashing into you. There are three ski lodges: at the top, middle and bottom of the mountain. If you're an expert skier, there won't be enough black diamonds to keep you happy, but everyone else should find enough variety for a few days.
No nervous B&B owners with neurotic cats for us anymore. Next year we'll come back to Bellayre, The Peekamoose and Michelle's Starlight Motel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Starlite Motel, your home away from home in the heart of the Catskill Region! The Starlite Motel is located on Route 28 in Big Indian, near famous hiking trails like the Big Indian Slide Mountain Trail and near to many towns and attractions which keeps our small Catskills hotel busy most of the year. Located on 2.5 acres, Starlite Motel is set back from Route 28 and nestled into the postcard setting of Rose Mountain. Our boutique hotel has a mere eight rooms, which shows our commitment to enjoying the Catskills in a relaxed and casual atmosphere while maintaining an outdoor experience. All rooms are newly renovated from a Cabin-like decor to Modern Country decor, which we are calling Premium rooms. All rooms are spacious, comfortable and loaded with amenities such as Kitchens, newly renovated baths, 90+ Cable Channels, Video Streaming and Free Wireless Internet. Visitors open the back door of their kitchen to find a retreat in the backyard; a sprawling wooded area with picnic tables, charcoal grills, a deck to lounge and a screened room for outdoor dining. Staying true to this mission, our hotel continues to be second home to many outdoor enthusiasts, filled with the nostalgia of great family memories built here. From the entire staff here at Starlite Motel, we look forward to having you, your family and friends join us soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Starlite Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Starlite Hotel Big Indian
- Starlite Motel Big Indian, New York - Catskill Region