“"A Gem in the Catskills"”
Review of Starlite Motel

Starlite Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Big Indian
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Excellent in every way! Comfortable and spotless; a quiet place where you can really rest and recharge. A great kitchen with a gift basket full of surprises. I also enjoyed the free whole milk!
So pleasant, I could live at the Starlite and proudly call it home.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 August 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a night here as a halfway point to travel to a wedding. As soon as we checked in, Michelle handed us a bag of marshmallows and some sticks, as well as recommending some places for dinner. Our room was immaculate, and so cute and cozy. There was a full kitchen, a door to the outside area which was full of picnic tables, a fire pit, and at night they had tons of little lights on that looked like fireflies. My only complaint is that there weren't more people outside enjoying the beautiful night but it ended up being a nice romantic evening for my boyfriend and I. Can't forget to mention the breakfast basket which was pretty much anything you could need or want for breakfast, I'd give this place more stars if I had the option, can't wait to go back when we have time to stay longer.

Room Tip: If you stay closer to the office, cell phone and wireless reception are better, but honestly this is...
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I just got back from a six day stay at the Starlite Motel. (My wife was attending a yoga retreat at a nearby facility and non-participants were not permitted to stay there.) I remember spending several nice vacations in the Catskills with my family as a child; the Starlite and the nearby towns were a perfect recreation of that. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing vacation, reading, fishing, hiking, boating, with good food and some antiquing, the Starlite is a wonderful place to use as your base.

The buildings are obviously very old, but wonderfully maintained. There is wifi (three different routers), cable and streaming videos on the TV. The proprietess is friendly, knowledgable, and helpful. There are free snacks/breakfast treats fresh in the room everyday. Clean and in good condition stove, oven, refrigerator, microwave, flatware, pots and pans, and everything else you need if you plan to cook for yourself. You don't have to - there are several excellent restaurants/diners within 10 miles or so to the east and to the west of the Starlite.

Lots of flowers, lights, grills for everyone in the backyard - the only guests the Starlite might disappoint are those looking for a swimming pool and game room. But if it is hot enough to want to swim, there is a lake within a five minute drive; and you probably have all the games you need at home.

Room Tip: I had an end unit, number eight, which may have made it quieter than some of the others.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2013

clean, large rooms, full kitchen, outdoor grill, screened outdoor sitting areas. cheerful friendly responsive service, quiet, nice breakfast basket, premium tv, good value, minutes from Bellayre Mountain

Reviewed 3 August 2013

What a pleasant surprise the satellite motel turned out to be. It was so far from the notion of a motel. The room was very clean with a kitchenette, flat screen tv, premium movie channels and continental breakfast. There was even cute picnic tables in the back to enjoy breakfast. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for quality at a reasonable price. I will definitely be back here if I am ever back in the Catskills.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I haven't stayed at a motel since I was a child, and my memories of them are sketchy. This place is adorable!! You can tell the owners are very invested in the comfort of their guests. It appears that a lot of love has gone into the facility. It definitely has a woman's touch. The rooms are modest, yet charming. The beds have quality sheets and are very comfortable. It is all kept very very clean. The back is a common area with different colored picnic tables, a firepit, tea lights , weber grills and more. Very festive. A very cute place!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2013

In the Big Indian area for a family wedding, and carefully chose the Starlite from several options. The website very accurately portrayed this motel, except that it was even better than we expected. Everything was clean and orderly, and every possible guest need was anticipated. The breakfast basket included a very nice selection nice selection. The owner Michelle was extremely friendly and accommodating, and made us immediately feel at home. The best part of the stay for me had to have been the bed. Luxurious sheets and a thick memory foam topper made for a great night's rest. I joked with myself that if I could've fit that bed in my suitcase I might've brought it home with me! I wish we'd had the opportunity to avail ourselves of all the backyard had to offer, but will save that for another trip. If I am in the area again, I will DEFINITELY be booking a room at the Starlite!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
modato2, Owner at Starlite Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you so much for choosing us. We look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Big Indian
Catskill Mountain Lodge
#1 of 1 in Palenville
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Pine Hill Arms Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Starlite Motel? Share your experiences!