“Very disappointing ....”
Review of Cold Spring Lodge

Cold Spring Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Big Indian
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My sister and I stayed at Cold Spring in mid Jan 2014. The beginning of my experience with Cold Spring was very positive. I emailed the lodge late night asking if they had availability and they responded almost immediately (within 1/2 hour at 12 midnight!). I was very impressed! The manager (I believe her name is Joan) was so friendly upon arrival and very willing to answer all questions we had. Given the fact that we arrived fairly late day #1 (around 8pm), we ate at a local restaurant (Peek-a-moose --- I highly recommend) and retired to bed early. The next morning I awoke to the sound of what I thought was the house settling. I dozed off and then was quickly awakened again by the same sound. At this point, I decided to wake up and shower. As I was stepping out of the shower, I hear my sister scream and tell me that she just saw a mouse scurrying around in the kitchen (I realized at this point that the sound I heard must have been mice crawling in the walls). I quickly dressed and looked in the kitchen. I saw the mouse in the kitchen and thought well it is winter, its not a big deal. We then went out for approx. 4 hrs. Upon our return, we noticed there were MULTIPLE mice running from a closet in the kitchen to the area behind the stove. There was some sort of mouse bait there, and one at a time, they would run, then eat the bait and then run back inside the pantry. We stood there for over 15 mins and could not believe how many mice we saw running back and forth. We decided we could not stay a minute longer and checked out about 12 hrs early. I'd also like to note that the mouse problem was so bad that we checked out in the middle of the night. The amount of mice in the cabin was indicative of a severe infestation that was obviously not properly managed.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank NatalieGpsu
Kundapa W, Owner at Cold Spring Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

We are very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay and experienced mice issues. Thank you for letting us know. We really appreciate it. We actually have never had other guests complaining about the mice infestation. Our lodge manager checked with other guests who stayed at the same cabin you did a few months before and after your stay and no one experienced any mice issues. After receiving your review, we had our maintenance staff check to see if there were any holes in the wall and any signs of mice infestation and he could not find any. We also contacted an exterminator to investigate the issues and the result was no mice infestation. Our apologies again for your disappointment.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Finding this place was like finding my very own treasure. The altitude on this side of the mountain is so calm and peaceful, it really allows you to re-connect with yourself from the hustle and bustle of busy NYC. Upon every visit my experience keeps getting better as I discover new trails and activities. With the help of Joan, the most thoughtful and informative hotel manager, you are sure to have a memorable experience. The rooms are very neat and spacious and the fireplace helps make a most cozy and relaxing ambiance. The hotel office is very helpful therefore, do not hesistate if you have any questions. I wouldn't worry about cell phones or laptops while on your visit to ColdSprings rather bring a nice book or a camera to really get out and explore Nature. It's a great place for couples as well as children, as it has a little bit of something for everyone and enough space for everyone to really enjoy their moments of peace and relaxation.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My family stayed in a cabin at Cold Spring Lodge for three nights over the New Years holiday. Upon arrival we were all pleasantly surprised by the well stocked spacious and clean cabin. We were concerned that we may have forgotten some things that we may need for the 4 day 3 night stay, but everything we needed was there. The proximity to skiing and some great food was perfect, yet just far enough off the beaten path to give you the feel of being in your own little wilderness. Warming up in front of the fire after a day of skiing was priceless. Being able to bring our dog Sierra was a big plus. She had plenty of room to run and play without being a disturbance to others staying at the lodge. The best part of this place is the staff and service. Joan and the young men that were helping her could not have been more friendly and accommodating. If we needed anything, all we had to do was ask and it was taken care of with a smile. There were friends of ours staying at another location and we kept telling them that we couldn't believe how the people at Cold Spring Lodge went out of their way to make sure that everything was as you needed and that nothing was going to interfere with you having a great stay. We are already planning another trip to Cold Spring Lodge with a group of families for a long ski weekend. Thanks Joan and staff!!

Room Tip: Cabin 5 is at the end of the row of cabins so it feels a little more offset from the others. Cabin 6...
1  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My family stayed in cabin #6 in the late December. It was a wonderful experience from the beginning till the end. First, we needed some help moving our reservation due to unexpected family circumstances and the Lodge manager Joan was very accommodating and helpful. She was very good at following thru making sure we have the best experience possible.
The location of the Lodge is very convenient, in close proximity to major ski resorts and restaurants. There are plenty of activities in the area because you are in the heart of the wild forest preserve and gorgeous Catskill Mountains! The cabin is very spacious with a full kitchen and a huge fireplace. The staff was kind to bring us some extra wood because we arrived on the cold day. We enjoyed having a quiet night by the fire away from the hectic city. If you and your family are nature lovers, this is the place for you to visit. We will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Cabin #6 is remote, situated away from the rest of the cabins and the main office.
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have been going to Cold Spring since the original couple owned it. I really loved this place. It is definitely "no thrills" except for the thrill of the great outdoors and a roaring fire in the fireplace. I do NOT blame subsequent owners for not being able to keep the resterant open, not their fault. And not a big deal with places like Brio's so close by and now even at the end of the road the new deli.

When the young couple that took over was there, things were always "laid back." You showed up and had to ring a bell, but they were friendly and he always got right to whatever you asked for. For the longest time you got a CAR TRUNK FULL OF WOOD.. after you burned that, you had to pay for more wood which was totally understandable.

And, again, if you needed towels, coffe filters, toilet paper, etc they always got it with a smile. It was a lovely arrangement.

I am guessing that the young couple is gone. I am guessing that the place is under new ownership? Because the attitude here has changed. I was informed that I'd "just have to wait" and that is "not how we do things here". Pardon me, I was here YEARS before you were, maybe NOW that is how you do things, but pardon me for thinking as a returning guest I was going to get the same service.

Sadly, one of the other new management changes is in how you get and pay for firewood. Again, maybe I am just used to the old regime, but I'd also suggest that you update the web page since it still says wood is included.

And, most regretably, with the new regime it just doesn't feel as friendly as it did in the past, and with cabin rates $200 to $250 a night, one wonders if we might find another cabin better maintained with better service for that price....

3  Thank Ny D
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I was very fortunate to have found this place when I was searching for someplace to go in the Catskill Mountain Region. My cabin is the best, with a refrigerator, stove and dishes. There is more than enough room in the cabin for me and my dog. At night, it was very quiet, and you could hear and feel the breeze through a slightly opened window. The Wi-Fi allowed me to do some work I needed to do while here, and I even had phone reception. Everything here is very clean, and I will definitely come again. The best surprise was that the cabin is only 30 minutes from Woodstock, N.Y. for shopping. On top of all this, the price was better than most! It offered the ultimate cabin experience with the quality and service of a 5-Star hotel. And my dog loved it too!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Wendy P
Kundapa W, General Manager at Cold Spring Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Hi Wendy,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give your feedback about the Cold Spring Lodge - we enjoyed having you and are extremely pleased that you enjoyed all that we have to offer. We work really hard to provide the cleanest and most enjoyable experience for all of our guests. We are looking forward to your next stay with us!
Sheri and Mike

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed here in late June with my husband and two children. When I made the reservation, I reserved a hotel room, not a cottage. Someone emailed me from Cold Spring Lodge and suggested that we'd be more comfortable in a cabin, which is more expensive. I said OK and changed the reservation to a cabin. I got no reply to this. I got no confirmation of the reservation and when I emailed to confirm it, got no acknowledgment of the email. We show up about 4:30 the day of our reservation and no one is around. It seemed deserted, but finally a woman came out of a back room and asked us to wait while they got our cabin ready, as no one had ever read my email agreeing to change the reservation from a hotel room to a cabin. It took about half an hour. This is all no big deal, but it's odd and sort of lackadaisical, which is how the whole thing was. The cabin was fine--it's not fancy at all but clean and comfortable enough. But here's why I gave it two stars; they are charging a lot. It was $200 to spend one night in this cabin. It's in a beautiful spot, but seriously, if you're going to charge that much then be on top of the reservations and provide at the very least some coffee filters and a packet of coffee. If you can't do that much then have a pot of coffee going in the office and have people managing it that are treating it like a real job. I've stayed at the Phoenicia Lodge which is about the same in terms of the type of cabin, but there's a nice little continental breakfast served in the office so that you don't have to drive 5 miles or so just to get a cup of coffee in the morning. I will say that at one point we discovered that a lamp wouldn't work. My husband went to track someone down to ask for another one and someone came right away with another lamp. I would have given this a better review if they'd charged $75 less than they did. In a word: overpriced.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Starlite Motel
Starlite Motel
#1 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to Cold Spring Lodge? Share your experiences!