“Great Food in the Castkills” 5 of 5 bubbles

Peekamoose Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Big Indian
Price range: US$12 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great Food in the Castkills”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Food was unique and reasonable in price. Staff was quick when needed to be and took their time when needed. They use local products when possible. Dined there twice in four days.

Visited October 2013

Surrey, United Kingdom
“A Gem Inside”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Peekammose was recommended to us by a 10 year old staying in the same Lodge as us, so we went.. It doesn't look much from the outside, but inside it is a really nice indoor/outdoor restaurant with a slightly eclectic feel, serving great food and some interesting beers (I had a coffee beer..).
We'd definitely return if in the area again.

Visited July 2013
Jersey City, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A delicious dinner tasting menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We dined at Peekamoose during our "mini-moon" getaway after our September wedding. We had purchased a dinner tasting option from our hotel (Roxbury motel, they're great, but this isn't the place for that review). We absolutely loved every single dish that was brought out to us. We were served a soup, pasta, entree, and dessert (I know there was a squash soup, cavatelli, gnocchi, short ribs, and sea scallops, but can't remember the last soup). All dishes were amazing. Additionally, the staff were all incredibly friendly, and the owner was even serving us some of our dishes, making sure that everything was going well and to share some stories about how the restaurant started.

In all, a great find, and we can't wait to swing by this winter during our inevitable ski trip.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jon S
Brooklyn, New York, USA
“Oasis in the middle of the forest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The hotel manager at graham&co in nearby Phoenicia recommended this place. Surprisingly excellent service, delicious sirloin, great wine and a fun bar scene. Bonfire in the back with s'mores was a great way to end the evening.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Evan D
madzilla23, Owner at Peekamoose Restaurant, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Thank you for the lovely review! We just love that families enjoy our space as we set out to create a place for adults and the little ones. With an indoor treehouse playroom and a all-you-can-roast marshmallow policy at our bonfire - tends to make the kids AND adults happy! Hope to have you around our table again soon.
Stone Ridge, New York
“This is the one of the best Restaurants in the Hudson Valley”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

This is the one of the best Restaurants in the Hudson Valley!

I have no idea where any of the negative reviews come from.

Not only do I love this place ... but EVERYONE I have brought here is amazed by the quality of the food and creativity of the head chef.

Also, every culinary expert I know, fellow restaurant owners, and CIA graduates all agree ... this is one of the best Restaurants in the Hudson Valley.

They are a Farm to Table restaurant and they do a superb job of sourcing fresh high quality ingredients.

The owner always visits our table to see how we are doing and is very nice to chat with.

The pleasant dining experience is only topped by the quality and freshness of the food and the Head Chef's creativity and passion to provide the best possible fine dining experience.

To respond to at least one review, which I may have even be witness to in fact. I personally witnessed how the restaurant staff handled a very rude, nasty, indignant, trailer trash mouth customer.

The woman was upset for no good reason ... at all. It appears she was upset because she did not like the table she was given on the outdoor deck. Why, I have no idea. There are only a few tables on the deck and none have what I would consider a premium position or placement.

Regardless, this woman was so beyond angry that it made no sense whatsoever.

She wanted a different table. I think she was annoyed that she had to get up and ask. She had only been there for 2 minutes and had just been seated.

Maybe she was annoyed about getting up because I am sure it takes a great deal of effort to move her large mass.

Given the fact that her server would have been at her table within minutes ... the fact that her server would have moved her since it was early and there were still other tables available ... there was no reason for this behavior ... or excuse for this behavior ... by the customer.

But no ... instead of waiting or even asking nicely, she was annoyed to the point of being rude, nasty, foul, belligerent and LOUD.

She made a point of saying how she drives up here for over 2 hours from Long Island to eat at this restaurant. Clearly she likes the food ... but felt slighted by the fact that she had to request a different table.

The hostess handled her with total class and was very courteous, professional and kind. They immediately addressed her concerns and seated her at a different table.

My comment to the waitress was "That was one of the most rude, obnoxious and repulsive women I have ever seen. I bet her husband wishes he was dead." I thought this to be a potentially accurate statement ... and very funny ... since I imagine it to be true.

However, the Hostess was so professional that she did not even comment about my wise crack. She was respectful of this horrific beast & rude arrogant monster of a woman. The hostess maintained her calm and was totally professional and classy to the very end.

I was impressed ... because it was totally unfair treatment of the restaurant staff. I understand the concept of "the customer is always right." I run my business this way as well.

I have never had an issue with the service at this restaurant. On that day, the staff demonstrated that they are first class and 100% customer service oriented.

My guess is that the negative reviews were written by similar people ... who live unhappy lives, are hateful and mean people in general, and have a warped and unjustified sense of entitlement for some reason that has nothing to do with whatever they are actually complaining about.

I see this in my business as well from time to time. People calling up angry and yelling at me about something totally unrelated to my business or the service I provide. In fact, they are not even customers ... they are just calling to complain about something they do not even understand that is related to my industry in general.

if they only knew how ignorant, clueless, unintelligent and classless they appear to others ... maybe they would change ... but then again ... very possibly not.

This is the one of the best Restaurants in the Hudson Valley!

• Visited August 2013