“A Downgrade from Before”

The Loft at Ninety Nine
Ranked #21 of 216 Restaurants in Binghamton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Loft at 99 is a casual fine dining restaurant with great food and a relaxing big-city vibe.
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The Loft was one of my favorite places to visit before the great pipe burst of 2012 which caused its doors to be closed for 6 months and for the place to come into new ownership. I was genuinely sad I had to wait so long it to reopen but was so excited when they finally did.

I don't know if I over-hyped myself, but I was certainly disappointed with the new experience. The menu isn't what it used to be with the removal of one of my favorite items, the risotto du jour. It may be back later since their current "New Immigrant Menu" is a summer menu. "New Immigrant Menu" sounds offensive, but I don't think it is, it's just an odd name.

We started with drinks which were quite good and an appetizer of frittes with 5 dipping sauces. I'm not sure what happened in the 6 months it was closed, but the sauces (which were my favorite experience from the past) were not very good. The cheese fondue was very milky and runny and not "cheesy" at all. The others tasted rather bland (with the exception of the Curry Ketchup which was still spot on).

Although pricey, all our entrees were excellent. I had the ribeye and it was cooked pretty much spot on. All the others enjoyed their meals as well. My only complaint about my meal is that it lacked a vegetable for balance on my plate. A side salad to accompany the entree could be used too.

We had dessert as well which is rare since I don't like dessert. I guess it was fine. My mother seemed to really enjoy the beignets.

When we went to pay, we had a coupon for $8 off. The owner came by and said since its new ownership, he doesn't except them. That's conveniently free advertising in the coupon book. Our bill was probably $130 so to not take the $8 off is dumb. It makes the atmosphere awkward and leaves me with the impression that the new place has poor service. This has changed my opinion on the place and makes me feel like I am in no rush to return.

In summary, I think if you're new to restaurant and haven't experienced the way it used to be run, you'll love this place. It's like the old way is the "book" and this new place is the "movie". The book's always better than the movie if you've read the book, but the movie is quite good for anyone who hasn't read the book.

1  Thank Timmace
There are newer reviews for The Loft at Ninety Nine

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I started going to this restaurant right after it reopened because I had heard good things. I wan not dissapointed. It's definitely all different food done extremely well. I go there for lunch all the time because I eat downtown. I've gotten the Lamb Speidi's, Pork Cutlet, Ahi Tuna, even BORSHCT and loved it all. I want to get there for dinner but it's tough to get downtown from 4 corners with 4 kids :(. Anyway, I'll just have to eat my way through the lunch menu. Poor me. The flavor on the wings, by the way, is fantastic. And a good looking wait staff that keeps the water coming!

1  Thank Josh P
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This restaurant is under new ownership so I have no way to compare the food, service, etc. from before - but saying that.. one of the things that is happening in Binghamton, NY is a rediscovery of local foods and local culinary history. Binghamton is an area of immigrants - thousands upon thousands of people stepped off the boats at Ellis Island with tags on their coats reading Endicott Johnson, Endicott, NY and the only words they knew in English were "Which way, EJ?" They brought with them cuisines from Italy, Russia, Eastern Europe and our local cooking reflects this (where else at church suppers can you buy halupkis by the bucket?). But we tend to not think our food here is anything special. The chefs at The Loft at 99 (that's 99 Court) have taken this history and taken it to real artistry. I had schnitzel last night that was fantastic; my husband had a lamb ragout that he practically licked the plate at the end. Terrific service and attention - the chef came out at the end to talk to us. The view from the second floor tables can't be helped - you look out on the parking lot at a couple of Binghamton's historic buildings undergoing rehabs, but we're all about second chances here.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Found out from a friend that the loft is now under new ownership loved the new food and drink menu! Food was delicious and perfectly filling. The staff was fantastic and worked wonderfully together. Definitely will be going back and would highly recommend!

1  Thank Elisem33
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Even though the waiter and owner were very friendly, I was disappointed in the small sandwich and the flavor of the homemade tomato soup. Perhaps it was because I wasn't expecting a spicy soup and that's not my preference. It was $7 for a good-sized bowl of soup and sandwich, which is to be expected at a more "upscale" establishment. I'd really like to see this restaurant succeed and believe that they have a chance. Maybe it just wasn't for me.

1  Thank cgbingo