“An almost great stay”

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Binghamton
Lexington, SC
“An almost great stay”
Reviewed 27 April 2009

We [my parents, husband and I] stayed for one night while in town for a family wedding. I choose the hotel for its proximity to my brother’s house, and because I was intrigued with its history. We also got a great senior discount rate, made even better when at check-in our reserved one double and one queen bed rooms were both upgraded to king beds on the fourth floor. My parents room was originally the Mayor’s Office - a corner room with a mini-balcony [inaccessible] and windows on 2 sides, including a view of the county courthouse & grounds.

When first stepping off the elevator, the hallway had a mildly musty, old building smell, but it wasn’t noticeable in the room. The rooms are nice sized, made to feel more spacious by the 20 ft. ceiling. The closet is a retrofit so only 30” wide and a rickety folding door. The rooms are furnished in dark wood, with classic forest/burgundy/beige coloring. The bed and pillows were very comfortable [but only 3 pillows] with mirrors on both walls as well as in the bathroom. The baths look recently renovated with fiberglass inserts over the tile and acoustical ceilings. We did not need climate control so can't evaluate it. There was a formal style reclining chair plus an office chair at the desk. Two ample bedside tables, a TV armoire and a cart with a mini-fridge, microwave and coffee maker.

Virtually all the electrical outlets are in use so the only place I found to plug in my laptop was the extension cord along the floor at the head of the bed. The bedside table was large enough to accommodate my computer. I’d recommend bringing a multi-outlet extension cord. Wi-fi was accessible, both through the hotel and the service for downtown Binghamton. Both seemed to time out after about 15 minutes, but I had no troubled getting back on [just unhappy with losing some of what I'd composed.]

The continental breakfast was the basics -- cold cereal, white baked goods, a waffle maker, apples and slightly overripe bananas, coffee, plain tea and juice.

My only complaint is that the opposite side of State Street seems to be populated with bars and Binghamton has some noisy drunks. Even on the 4th floor in a room perpendicular to the street, I heard voices and noises from outside all the way up until 2 a.m. Within the hotel was very quiet. I think we were the only guests on our floor.

For an out-at-night person, this might be fine. I'd recommend earplugs for others. The building's architecture is very interesting, and it is only a few short blocks walk to the river. Binghamton has a very walkable downtown. The hotel uses the nearby YMCA for a fitness center. Parking at the building is limited, but a parking pass for the adjacent garage is available as well.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Vctoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Syracuse
Reviewed 24 March 2009

I've grown up in Binghamton and always remember going to the Hotel Deville for dinners and special events as a child. Me and my friends could hardly contain our excitement when we were able to secure a room for Binghamtons annual parade day. When I checked in I was a bit disappointed to learn that the restaurant and bar had been shut down, although there are still signs posted advertising them. The guy at the desk was very friendly and funny, and did everything he could to make us feel welcome (including taking a picture with some of my drunk friends the next day : ) ). Unfortunately I can't say the same for the night shift (a cranky lady who did everything she could to ignore we were paying guests). Still the stay was a good time overall, the hotel is located in the heart of downtown Binghamton, and the rooms are nice for what they charge.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shamrockin
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed 24 September 2008

Great hotel! It's Binghamton's former City Hall. The front desk is the old judges bench, there are some authentic rooms in this hotel. And grand stairways. The staff was friendly. My room seemed huge, but it was lacking a couch or chair. A whole area of the room about 8'x8' had nothing. The windows are huge and old, and open up fully. I explored the hotel a bit and found a conference room upstairs with 20' cielings and authentic city hall stuff. pictures of old mayors all over the walls. truly unique.

• Liked — History
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 9 September 2008

I've been using Trip Advisor for a while now and I always can trust it when I'm looking for a new hotel in a strange city. WELL - this time -- i think something went wrong.

I stayed at this hotel for one nite last month in the end of August and I have to say, it was one of the shabbiest hotels I have stayed in in a long time.

Everything just looked like it needed refurbishing. The linens, the mattress, the carpeting, the furniture and the bathroom!!

I wouldn't stay here again. How can this be the #3 hotel in Binghamton?

Wow, Trip Advisor, you totally lost me on this one.

Was I staying at the same hotel????

Meanwhile when I got back from my trip, Clarion asked me to fill out an online survey on my stay, which i did, gladly.

Yesterday, I got a personal letter from the hotel, thanking me for my feedback and telling me that starting Sept. 6th that they were doing renovations to the rooms - - with all of the complaints i had too! They invited me to come back again after the renovations are done....little late now. But at least if you're reading this, YOU know.

• Disliked — Rooms in terrible need of renovations!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Binghamton hotels

New England Territory
Reviewed 10 July 2008

This is a nice hotel in a great location if you want to be within walking distance of bars and restaurants. I was in the area on business, and brought my wife along for the trip. We stayed two nights in a corner room, so it had two windows and plenty of space compared to some other rooms I have stayed in.

The bathroom is a bit small, and there aren't any outlets in the room to plug in cell phone chargers, etc. so the place is a bit dated. Wireless internet service worked well, but did bog down on occasion.

The continental breakfast was very limited, and there are no healthy options. Cereal choices are Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks! Even the oatmeal was flavored. Muffins were the packaged variety that you see in convenience stores. Only plain Bagels and white bread available, so again, no healthy options if you want wheat bread, etc.

Staff was friendly if you approached them, but if you were walking through the lobby and they saw you, instead of saying hello they ignored you completely. The new owners have the personality of a doormat.

Upon checking out, the manager approached the desk while the girl checked me out, and then looked to see which room I had stayed in. He immediately departed up the stairs to my room on the second floor, and never asked if I enjoyed my stay or anything. He was only worried about checking on the room before I left...I guess to see if I stole a washcloth or something!

I was in the area on business, but am not sure if I will stay in this hotel again, simply because of the attitude of the managers. I feel sorry for the people who work there, but Binghamton is a very poor area economically, so I imagine people do not have a lot to choose from when it comes to jobs. But, the bottom line is these guys are in the wrong business as they do not posses any social skills, which trickles down to the attitude of the staff.

• Liked — The architecture.
  • Disliked — The attitude of the new owners
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
southern VA, USA
Reviewed 17 June 2008

A terrific place, in the old courthouse, remodeled into a small hotel. The ad pictures show the courthouse in all it's glory, but the reality is that the front desk and entrance is in the back and not quite as impressive. The rooms are nicely done, mine was small, but well laid out. The hotel is very near the college bars, so there is a bit of noise on the weekends. I got a great last minute rate of $78, a bargain. The Holdiay Inn was going for $109 and the rooms were no larger or nicer. Check in and check out was a breeze. There is a continental breakfast and coffee and cookies in the early evening as well.

• Liked — location is excellent
  • Disliked — some street noise
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 29 March 2008

The building is a historic landmark. It use to be City Hall and now it is a hotel. The room we had was the smallest that I ever stayed in. There were three of us and there was literally no way the three of of could be in the room at the same time without being asleep. The beds were very old and of the lowest quality imagineable. Plan to spend the entire night tossing and turning in bed. The ceiling in our room had some serious water staining and the paint was peeling off in certain spots. There are several bars across the street but they were not a problem for us. It was Sunday night. That part of Binghamton is pretty depressed so expect to see a lot of scary looking people roaming around day and night. I would definitely not recommend walking around that part of town at night unless you are armed.
The breakfast was ok but they had no tables and chairs in which you could sit, eat and read the paper.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business