Grand Royale Hotel
US$118
US$108
Travelocity
Del Motel(Binghamton)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewscity hallbeaux arts architecturecollege bardowntown binghamtonfuture stayspriced hotelfriday nightawesome hotelcourthousepunjabikishoretile
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 September 2010

We drove into Binghamton for the night and got a room at this downtown hotel with no reservation and what seemed like a decent price: $99 for a Friday night. We were given Room 404, the old mayor's office, and it was a huge room with nice high ceilings, a king sized bed and a nice view over the courthouse behind the building. As stated, the entrance to this hotel is extremely uninviting, but the hotel itself is rather pretty, and I would definitely stay again. As stated by others, it is across the street from a row of bars, and you can decide whether or not that is a detriment. We thought it created a lively local atmosphere, and the bars did not bother our sleep. As also stated by others, the hotel's windows are not clean, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking out the window. We merely spent the night and headed off the next morning.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2010

The hotel is the former city hall, so rooms are large, with high ceilings and windows. Public spaces are very grand. Entrance is off-putting - it was the back of City Hall. Downtown Binghamton has seen better days, but it is fun to walk around. Desk clerk directed us to a delightful Italian restaurant about 2 blocks away that we would not have found by ourselves.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Even though it was a short stay, I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. This hotel, while not adorned with all the modern amenities, was drenched in character and had all that was necessary for a comfortable stay. The staff was polite and our room was clean and comfortable. My family got a kick out of the historical ambiance of the hotel. Would definitely stay again.

D. Gibson

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2010

when we pulled up it did notm look like then photo. the doors were broken and the guy at the desk looked like he just woke up. The Lobby smelled terrible.Then some creepy guy came up to me and asked how i was..i thought he was homeless..when i complained i was told oh don't worry,,thats Napoleon,,he won't bother you! The sheets did not fit the bed, and the breakfast was well minute! then curtains were dingy and shredded andn the wall paper was peeling.. i wilsh the tare was 75 bucks,,not 135...it ws a dump..but what can i expect in down town Binghampton..

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank lperes58
Reviewed 26 May 2010

First, let me say that I am a Choice Privileges member and have been one for several years. I have stayed at Choice hotels in several locations, sometimes for long durations (greater than 2-3 nights).

This past Monday (May 24th, 2010), I checked into the The Grand Royale - Clarion Hotel in Binghamton NY for a 2 night stay. This is a hotel that I had stayed at a few times over the years with good memories. I chose this hotel due to the easy access and good location of being downtown. The problems I had there may seem a bit trivial to some, but there was one glaring problem that I had (and have had at other hotels) that can not be overlooked. The problems are as follows:

1. The sink drain was plugged significantly. It would drain quite slow, but if you let the water run a bit to get hot water, the sink would quickly fill up and spill over the top onto the
floor.
2. Later in the evening before I turned out the light, I used the toilet and almost fell off when I realized the toilet seat was not attached to the toilet. I tried to reconnect it to the toilet, but the hinges were simply worn out.

I left a note in the morning for the maid, additionally, I left word with the desk receptionist that there were problems. She assumed that I wanted to check out. I did not. I simply wanted the problems fixed, or I wanted another room.

I came back to the hotel 9pm on Tuesday the 25th and went to the desk and informed the
receptionist that I needed to extend my stay through to Friday. She said no problem and I went straight to my room (room 204) and found that my key card did not work. I went back to the desk and inquired about the keys. She said that there was a mistake with
the keys, and gave me new ones. I went back to my room to see that somebody else's belongings were in the room, and mine were gone. I did not check to see if the
plumbing fixes were completed or not.

3. I was given new keys to my old room with no check of my ID, other than the fact that I just extended my stay. THIS IS A HUGE SECURITY CONCERN!!!

I went back to the desk and was told that they moved me to the 4th floor (404). I quickly went to the room and found that sure enough my bag and hanging clothes were in the closet. I was quite upset that they simply moved me without notifying me. Additionally,
they moved my belongings! Fortunately, I suspected that there may be a need to move, so I packed up everything except for the hanging clothes.

So, the night of the 25th was uneventful. This morning, Wednesday May 26th, 2010, I go
to take a shower in the new room and find another problem:

4. The the shower faucet handle and it simply spins in my hand. I pull on it but and the
water flows, but there is no control over the water temperature. Fortunately, somebody new about the problem and had set the water temp a decent temperature.

I showered, got dressed and packed up my belongings, and checked out of the hotel I will stay elsewhere for the rest of my stay in town, as well as any future stays in the area. I am not turned off entirely by the Choice Hotels, just this one for now. It needs some TLC!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business