“A step back in time”

Ranked #6 of 12 Restaurants in Bloomfield
Price range: US$8 - US$42
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Holloway House since 1808, featuring traditional American fare at affordable prices. The main dining rooms feature Roast Turkey, Steaks, and Seafood in a historic setting. Also a Sunday Buffet Brunch is a great way to enjoy your family and friends after church . Friday night Fish Fry followed by a slice of one of our in house baked pies or creme brulee is a great way to start your weekend or trip to one of the lakes. A perfect place for your next party, private seating for groups up to 60. Saturday night prime rib and seafood buffet is very popular.
Rochester, New York, United States
“A step back in time”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The history of the Holloway House greets you as you enter. Waitresses are wearing uniforms that speak of a different era. The decor is charming and puts one in a time when life was simpler. The food is exceptional, and they Sally Lunn bread and orange rolls are a treat in themselves. I always have the chicken livers and they never disappoint. My only regret is that I never have room for one of their delicious desserts. I must go sometime just to enjoy a dessert and coffee. It is a place where I always take out of town guests, this time, a friend from South Africa. It is a favorite restaurant of mine and I shall continue to enjoy all it has to offer.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ruth585

Bloomfield, New York
“Friendly Service, Real Food, Great Location”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I eat at restaurants frequently, and we often bemoan the fact that most places we go seem to be shiny versions of exactly the same thing. The service at many of these restaurants is lackluster and the food is simply warmed-up Cisco products. The Holloway House is the opposite.

While there, we enjoyed amazing service from our waiter, Chuck, and even had the pleasure of conversing with the owners, Steve and Dawn. The food was delicious and made from scratch-- something that is, sadly, extremely rare these days. We enjoyed the homemade breads and are looking forward to the delicious desserts (we were too full to enjoy them at the restaurant)! We were not only offered a tour of the restaurant, but the owners even toured us through the kitchen and baking room. The fact that they were willing, and even eager, to show us these spaces is indicative of the quality of the food and it's preparation.

We tried some things that neither of us had ever tried before and thoroughly enjoyed a wonderful dinner during which we were truly made to feel like special guests. We can't wait to go back and would encourage anyone who values great food and great service to enjoy a meal at the Holloway House.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank Sara C
“Better service at McDonald's”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We went to the thanksgiving dinner tonight and the food was excellent! The atmosphere was nice although tightly packed. The only downside was our waitress. She was the most miserable person and I have never felt so uncomfortable with a server. VERY disappointed by her service. Wont EVER go back unless I call ahead and make sure we dont get stuck with her.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank kreynolds517
Syracuse
“Charm, nostalgia and good food in a nice creaky old inn.”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Ok, I'm giving a rating of "Excellent" and really it should be "very good". Just this once.

Because even though some of the criticisms I see below are true (the building and silverware are a bit worn, dated outfits for the waitresses, a few cracks here and there) I found our recent meal there to be charming. It is a creaky old place and we loved it. Very decent food, a genuinely pleasant waitress and terrific atmosphere. I generally only get a turkey dinner at a restaurant under duress, but found myself ordering it here, because I've found it to be reliable, not for years, but for decades.

And it occurred to me that although we've moved away from the immediate area, we've driven a lot longer distances to visit over-rated trendy places, over-airconditioned and noisy, where the staff seem to regard customers as an annoying imposition, or insist on explaining each and every component of every over-priced tapas or whatever, while you bathe in garlic-soaked air.
So we're going to visit the Holloway House more often, until they turn it into another annoying wine bar or something.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank UpstateLoyalist
Rochester, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wednesday night family turkey dinner”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We celebration an early Thanksgiving at the Halloway house with 9 family members. It was a wonderful evening. They were very good about accommodating my grandson who is in a wheelchair. We had our own room, which made the evening even more special!! The food was delicious, and the two waitresses were very attentive. We are planning on doing this every year right before I leave for Florida. It is a beautiful restaurant. I had not been there in the last 10 years, and it was just as I remembered it - like going to your favorite grandma's for a family meal.

and it was still the way I remember it. It reminds me going to my grandma's for a family meal. We loved it, and my granddaughter says it is our first annual early Thanksgiving dinner at the Holloway House. We had an evening making happy memories!

• Visited October 2013