“Hard to find anything bad to say about The Hedges, but I'll try :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hedges

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blue Mountain Lake
The Hedges
West Hempstead, New York
“Hard to find anything bad to say about The Hedges, but I'll try :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Okay, first, the bad news. If WiFi reception is important to you, know this. The dining room and the nice rooms in the Main Lodge get no WiFi reception. We were in room 15. In the bathroom (like I want to sit in the bathroom to work on my IPad), reception was spotty. In the bedroom there was NO WiFi at all. The people in room 16 asked us if we were having better luck than they were with WiFi because they had none at all and my advice to them was to try sitting on the toilet. Fortunately, at the Stone Lodge WiFi was perfect. Even sitting on the porch or in the chairs lakeside the signal was strong. I'll call the lack of reception in the Main Lodge "bad news" because I specifically asked for a room with good WiFi when booking because I work some while on vacation and I need it and I was told the entire property got reception. False. I even had the staff reboot the router for me to no avail.

Next: At breakfast one can order as much of whatever is available as one wants, including orange juice and coffee. At dinner on the prepaid plan you can have all the coffee you want but order a diet coke and you'll have to sign for it because it will cost you $1.50. Sorry, but that's weird. An up-charge for wine, beer or liquor I can certainly understand but for a diet coke? No! Big suggestion: The coke should be included in the price of the meal! Owners? STOP IT! You don't charge for the coke with the meal plan dinner! It's crazy!

Okay: Now for the good news. In brief, everything else. The entire lodge is spotless, the service is extremely attentive and friendly to the extent that one feels the staff, themselves are enjoying themselves. The lodges and the decor within bring one back to days gone by in mountain lodges of this kind. The lake is right there for you to kayak in, canoe in or just sit by and enjoy some reading or chatting.

Apparently The Hedges dining room gets a good deal of business from people who are not staying at the lodge in addition to those who are so there are two menus, the BIG one and the one for guests who have paid for their meals (except their diet coke, mind you). The menu for guests offers a fish dish, a meat dish a vegetarian dish and a chef's salad. The food is good and while diner is not an "all you can eat" deal like at another place on the lake, it was all I could eat, and I'm 6' and 220 pounds. If anything, at the end of dinner I felt like I'd eaten too much. Another suggestion. The lodge MIGHT want to offer the current guests dining plan and then another plan for guests who'd like to order from the full menu.

I mentioned the other place on the lake. It's called Hemlock Hall. We stayed there last year and opted to go to The Hedges after a 25 year hiatus this year. We prefer the grounds at The Hedges and not only was there NO WiFi anywhere at Hemlock Hall but even 3G was spotty at best and the place was just too day campy for us. Everybody knew everybody else, except us. People book the same week each year so as to meet up with old fiends who have been coming for decades and meal service is family style at tables for 10 or 12 or so. At The Hedges, you get a private table for your party alone and while people have also been coming for decades, that day camp for older people feel is non-existent.

I REALLY enjoyed The Hedges and we want to come back too. I do like to mix things up some by trying a place like this one year and maybe The Asticou Inn in Bar Harbor the next and The Finger Lakes the next but I'd recommend The Hedges to anyone and I plan to go back more than once in the future. I love it.

Room Tip: I was told the entire property was WiFi enabled and it is not. Rooms in the Main Lodge got no WiFi r...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DrCarl527

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Binghamton, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Hedges was absolutely incredible! This was the complete Adirondack experience we were hoping for. The grounds and buildings are gorgeous- completely authentic to the 1880's with beautiful antiques taking you back in time. The breakfast and dinner each day were VERY good- the portions were plentiful and we really didn't need lunch in between. There is so much to do there with the kayaks & canoes & bikes, game rooms with puzzles and every imaginable board game, books to read, and many beautiful sitting areas indoors and out. The staff was superb- especially our waiter Zoli. We had the same table each morning and evening and it did become "our" table. It was really nice to see the same people each day, relaxing throughout the grounds, at the dining lodge or at the evening bonfire. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: The Colonel's room is very spacious, conveniently located with nice water front views and can ac...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed here for a few nights in late September, and have already requested reservations for more nights next year. We’ve been to Blue Mountain Lake many, many times years ago but had never stayed at The Hedges. However, now it’s got a different feel than it had when we considered it years ago and found it gloomy. Now, under the new owner the place is welcoming and radiant with care. The grounds are lovely, and beautifully planted. Flowers are everywhere. Interesting antique furniture and lighting fixtures fill the private and public rooms. And, the staff is stellar.

Blue Mountain Lake was as mystical and blue as ever and the Loons were in full song. Mostly there were couples when we were there, (school had started, so the families with children were no longer vacationing,) and many guests spent lots of time in the great Adirondack chairs reading quietly by the glistening lake. The air is so clean, as is the water, you want to simply inhale all day long and drink water from the tap. They don’t have TV sets, but the crowd that goes all the way up to Blue Mountain Lake seems glad for that omission. However, don’t worry about WIFI, the place is wired, it’s free and it works. There are kayaks, rowboat, a tennis court and other games and lots of hiking trails. The breakfast offerings were bountiful and delicious. The dinners were fine. The Hedges will also give you lunch fare to take on a hike. If you need food in the middle of the day the little store by the Blue Mountain gas station has hot food at lunchtime, and you can also get all the NY papers there. At night after dinner, as the evening cooled, we went to a campfire by the lake and roasted marshmallows and shared life stories with other couples we’d never met before. We were all from different places, but all shared a love of the peace, quiet and beauty of The Adirondacks and Blue Mountain Lake.

Make sure not to leave Blue Mountain without first taking a two hours history boat tour of the lake with the brothers down at the boat livery. It’s a wonderful trip which will enrich your visit and appreciation of Blue Mountain. A visit to the Adirondack Museum will do that too, but not in the same “in the water” way. This is a wonderful restful mystical place.

2 Thank Suzanne S
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

There are no televisions. If that is not a problem for you, you should enjoy staying there.

The Hedges is an old property on a lake with cabins as well as rooms in three separate buildings. I was pleasantly surprised by how new our room looked and by how nicely it was decorated. We stayed in room 24 in the Stone Lodge, a king with lake view. It included a comfortable chair and a love seat. Room 23 might be a little larger.

When I return, I will probably try to stay in a room in the Main Lodge primarily because, in case of rain, it is closer to the dinomg lodge and has access to more public areas for waiting out a rainy day. Both the Main Lodge and the Stone Building have a common room with gas fireplaces. I would not worry about having a "lake view" because you are not likely to spend much time looking at the lake from your room.

Not everyone will be thrilled with the dinner service. Breakfast is ordered off a menu, and there are enough options to satisfy anyone. During breakfast, you are asked to select your dinner entree, usually from four choices: two meats, a vegetarian option, and a dinner salad. All meals come with a soup, a salad, and a dessert (or you can have very good vanilla ice cream with or without toppings). My wife and I thought the food was very good. The entrees menu for dinner on the day we left was honey glazed pork, shrimp and grits (the owners are from Georgia), vegetarian moussaka, and cobb salad. You can purchase beer and wine.

The only other issue might be your tolerance for children. We were there in September and very few children were around. I expect that it is quite different during the Summer.

Plan to spend a full day at the nearby Adirondacks Museum. You can reenter one time within seven days of the ticket purchase.

3 Thank RoySandlapper
Picton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

We loved this place. So many cozy places to sit; a terrific games room; gorgeous dining room; wonderful food and such friendly staff, especially the hostess (whose name I've forgotten) from North Carolina. We stayed in the Spruce cabin, which is not on the water, but just steps away, so we didn't care. The only thing I might suggest is better lighting. Even with all the lights on and the curtains open I could barely see my clothes--let alone trying to apply a bit of lipstick! We had rainy cold weather but it didn't matter. The Adirondack Museum, about five minutes drive, was highly interesting--a great way to spend two hours. The trees were starting to change colour and it was a beautiful setting.

Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Right on the lake, the Hedges is a delight. All the ambiance of camping but you get to sleep in a real bed!! Kayaks and canoes are available for guests use. Campfires in the evening, story tellers, live folk music. Very adirondacks. The food was ok, nothing great but adequate and the setting more than made up for it!!

Room Tip: We had one of the cabins. It has two bedrooms and a full bath. Very cute, nicely decorated with thi...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
New England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and thought we'd give the Hedges a try.
First, the staff was very good and accomodating. We stayednin a waterfrnt room, the Colonel's Room. It was clean and quite comfortable. The canoes, kayaks, game room, tennis were all inclusive and we appreciated not charging extra for the amenities.
The reason for our "average" rating is the food. It was disappointing. The presentation, portion size and quality left something to be desired. We have atayed in inclusive resorts in the Carribean, Alaska, Hawaii and in the U.S. The food at the Hedges will prevent us from a return visit.

Room Tip: The Colonel ended up costing over $300 a night including taxes and included gratutities. Nice room...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa
Big Moose Inn
Big Moose Inn
#1 of 1 in Eagle Bay

Been to The Hedges? Share your experiences!