“RIP OFF ARTISTS”

FR Smith & Sons Marina
More attraction details
Owner description: FR Smith & Sons is celebrating its' 93rd year in business! We are the oldest marina on Lake George to be owned and operated by the same family. We offer boat rentals, canoe & kayak rentals, marine service, boat sales, water taxi, and we have a well stocked marine store. Check out our antique boat charters! We have the nicest rental boats on Lake George. Brand new Bryant 21' I/Os; EbbTide Outboards, and Avalon Pontoons! Rent from us, you will not be disappointed!
Glens Falls, New York
“RIP OFF ARTISTS”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

I called and inquired about winter storage for a 16 foot boat 1/10 of a mile down the road to be picked up and stored. Was quoted by service manager 545.00......Called back and got owner Scott on the phone a week later to discuss pick up. Owner told me it would be 864.00. I guess because I need it done in a few days before the hurricane hits he felt he could gouge me for more money. Terrible business. Will never go there again for gas during the summer and will tell everyone I know how they tried to rip me off after being a customer for years. Happily not taken to the cleaners by F.R. Smith and Sons Marina......

Visited September 2012
gracielouny, Owner at FR Smith & Sons Marina, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
I was sorry to read the review of FR Smith & Sons by reviewer Patty K - the issues cited by her were due to a complete misunderstanding. Let me explain. Patty K called my marina last week to discuss storage and winterization options with my Service Manager, Adam. Adam outlined a set of options to Patty which included: shrink wrapping, drive oil change, engine winterization, bottom wash, chemicals (fuel stabilizer etc), and pick-up and delivery to her location. This price was quoted at 545.00 including tax. The following week, Patty called back and asked for my General Manager, Scott, by name. Scott was unaware of the conversation that Patty had with Adam and continued to quote her the full menu of options INCLUDING storage at our facility. This additional option bumped the total price to 867.77 (including tax). Late Friday when Adam was available - he and Scott - discussed the situation and planned to call Patty back on Monday when we returned to work, as we are closed on Sat and Sun this time of the year.

I would like to add that Patty indicated that we were "gouging her for more money because of the upcoming hurricane. Adam in no way indicated to Patty that we would be able to get her boat late Friday before we closed for business that day.

As another note, FR Smith & Sons has a very regulated policy and reservation system for winterization. We send out storage and winterization sheets so that our customers can indicate what services they want and what date they wish their boat to be pulled. It is a signed contract with our latest pull date of November 1. We handle over 400 boats between Oct 1 and Nov 1. While Patty called and was clearly in a jam by not having arranged winterization services this late in the season, Adam and Scott were willing to try to help her out. Patty is not a regular storage customer but we are always willing to add new storage customers and especially to help people in need.

We are quite sorry that Patty felt she was ripped off - fortunately, all this can be attributed to misunderstanding and hastey reactions.

Sincerely - Robin Smith - president and principle owner

STAMFORD
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Very pleasant rental experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

We just returned from a 4 day camping trip in the Lake George islands. The folks at FR Smith were very accommodating when we had to change our reservation details at the last minute. At the marina they processed our rental info quickly, & with no bother.
The boat was brand new, & in excellent condition.
When we returned the boat, we discovered that we had damaged the propeller. The repair cost was more than fair: pretty much just the cost for the part, no additional labor charges.
Because we went after peak season, we also got a 20% discount off the cost of our rental.

2 Thank ofglass
We are delighted that you had a wonderful camping experience on Lake George and that we added to the experience. We hope you return to our beautiful lake and our marina again!
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Fair and honest marina”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

These guys helped me out a few years ago when I brought my boat up on vacation. They made time to fix my boat and get me back out on the water ASAP. I never did forget how they bent over backwards to help me. When ever I need gas or supplies I always go here first. Seems to me for 93 octane Captains choice gasoline they are the cheapest on the lake. The staff is always polite and friendly. I highly recommend this marina.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Frank G
We thank you for your kind words and look forward to working with you in the future!
Cherry Hill, NJ
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great rentals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

WOnderful place. The staff was friendsly and helpful and the 18' boat we rented was practically brand new! Hope to rent again from them next summer.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank emc12y
“Service sucks”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

I bought a part from them that was defective an they refused to take it back. I took the part to another marina and they confirmed the worst not only was the part detective but it was used. my boats engine and fuel system. It never ever ran again . Because they refused to take it back I lost 8000 sham on you

gracielouny, Owner at FR Smith & Sons Marina, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
We are sorry to hear of your experience. The policy of FR Smith & Sons Marina is to accept all parts unused and with the original packaging in tact with the exception of electrical parts including but not limited to power packs, ECM Modules and software. The reason is that these parts can be damaged when used by a non-certified mechanic and this damage can be undetectable by viewing. It is not our policy to sell used parts as new under any circumstances. Errors do happen - if you have the original packaging, sales receipt and part - please call our Service Manager andor General Manager and they will assist you. If you do not have the packaging or receipt, I am sorry that we cannot take the part back. Please call to discuss.
thank you.