“terrible.”

FR Smith & Sons Marina
More attraction details
Owner description: FR Smith & Sons is celebrating its' 96th year in business! We are the oldest marina on Lake George to be owned and operated by the same family. We offer boat rentals, canoe & kayak rentals, marine service, boat sales, water taxi, and we have a well stocked marine store. Check out our antique boat charters! A fabulous way to experience the lake - chartering for weddings and special occasions! We have the nicest rental boats on Lake George. Brand new Bryant 21' I/Os; EbbTide and Larson Outboards, and Avalon Pontoons! Rent from us, you will not be disappointed!
Reviewed 1 August 2013

All in all, this place is horrible. How these people are in business is beyond me. They have hired the most unprofessional people to operate this business. We didn't even leave the marina, and decided to not rent the boat and they wouldn't refund our deposit. After we called to complain, they hung up on us and DISCONNECTED their business line. These people are pathetic, don't even bother with them. Take your money elsewhere!

1  Thank Alexandra M
gracielouny, Owner at FR Smith & Sons Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

This is the last review from the same party regarding Log Bay Day boat rentals. The story is the same.

We have policies in place to protect our business assets. Unfortunately this incident went completely against our policy. The result was a forfeiture of the rental deposit which is clearly discussed and documented on the rental contract and the special Log Bay Day Disclosure document.

All reviews
"ny"
"firewood"
"camping"

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I have been renting boats for over 30 years from this place. I have purchased 2 new boats and 1 used boat from FR SMITH as well. So am i a happy customer? Did they take care of me always and handle any issues i ever had at a moments notice for over 30 years? Did they treat myself and my kids and all the friends i have sent there over the years wonderfully? DO i trust them always to do the right thing? The answer to all of these questions is definately YES! I felt in good hands with FR SMITH from day one.. Yes maybe at first sight they arent all smiles and butt kissing like a happy coffee induced salesman at a first class boat dealership pushing you on a $400K Searay you cant afford, but after a while you will understand who these people are and you will see that they have your interest at best as they are a bit stand offish at first as they meet so many hustlers from the city that it puts them aback a bit until they know who you are.... They are country people with country prices and honest to goodness down home country love and humbleness is what they offer. I can GUARANTEE my experiences have only been positive since day one when i first met Ray Smith in 1982 and then hisnice wife and children wayne and the others. Bob Freedman bucksterbob@msn.com......PEACE OUT!

2  Thank bucksterbob
gracielouny, Owner at FR Smith & Sons Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

This is an awesome review but I think you meant to post for the Smith family that owns Lake George Camping Equipment! And by they way, they are really nice people!

It is very easy to confuse since there are 4 marinas on Lake George that are owned by 4 Smith families - none of which are related!

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Due to a deployment, my son's boat didn't get winterized. Called FR Smith they said they needed to see the boat to give me an estimate. I drove the nearly 2 hours to their place to see what it was like. Service manager said he didn't need to see the boat but did need motor & drive info. I emailed him the info and said he would work up an estimate and get back to me in a few days. 4 days later I emailed again asking about the estimate. No response. I called and left a message. No response. So I went to Snug Harbor Marina. They came and picked up the boat. Replaced the motor and returned the boat. All in a short time at a reasonable cost.

gracielouny, Owner at FR Smith & Sons Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

We apologize to Mr Eastman for dropping the ball on this service request. He did in fact email our service manager, Adam, who admits that he dropped the ball on this. Things happen during a busy season but this is no excuse. We thank Mr Eastman for point out our deficiency in handling his business.

While have no expectations, we would love to make it up to him in the future as at some time.
Robin Smith
Owner

Reviewed 10 July 2013

They may not be the cheapest marina around but you can count on them to do what's needed and not more - unless you ask.

They care more about your boat than you do.

3  Thank DJ K
See more reviews
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I called and inquired about winter storage for a 16 foot boat 1/10 of a mile down the road to be picked up and stored. Was quoted by service manager 545.00......Called back and got owner Scott on the phone a week later to discuss pick up. Owner told me it would be 864.00. I guess because I need it done in a few days before the hurricane hits he felt he could gouge me for more money. Terrible business. Will never go there again for gas during the summer and will tell everyone I know how they tried to rip me off after being a customer for years. Happily not taken to the cleaners by F.R. Smith and Sons Marina......

gracielouny, Owner at FR Smith & Sons Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

I was sorry to read the review of FR Smith & Sons by reviewer Patty K - the issues cited by her were due to a complete misunderstanding. Let me explain. Patty K called my marina last week to discuss storage and winterization options with my Service Manager, Adam. Adam outlined a set of options to Patty which included: shrink wrapping, drive oil change, engine winterization, bottom wash, chemicals (fuel stabilizer etc), and pick-up and delivery to her location. This price was quoted at 545.00 including tax. The following week, Patty called back and asked for my General Manager, Scott, by name. Scott was unaware of the conversation that Patty had with Adam and continued to quote her the full menu of options INCLUDING storage at our facility. This additional option bumped the total price to 867.77 (including tax). Late Friday when Adam was available - he and Scott - discussed the situation and planned to call Patty back on Monday when we returned to work, as we are closed on Sat and Sun this time of the year.

I would like to add that Patty indicated that we were "gouging her for more money because of the upcoming hurricane. Adam in no way indicated to Patty that we would be able to get her boat late Friday before we closed for business that day.

As another note, FR Smith & Sons has a very regulated policy and reservation system for winterization. We send out storage and winterization sheets so that our customers can indicate what services they want and what date they wish their boat to be pulled. It is a signed contract with our latest pull date of November 1. We handle over 400 boats between Oct 1 and Nov 1. While Patty called and was clearly in a jam by not having arranged winterization services this late in the season, Adam and Scott were willing to try to help her out. Patty is not a regular storage customer but we are always willing to add new storage customers and especially to help people in need.

We are quite sorry that Patty felt she was ripped off - fortunately, all this can be attributed to misunderstanding and hastey reactions.

Sincerely - Robin Smith - president and principle owner