“Very good German cuisine, but pricey even considering the area.”

Pumpernickel's Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 29 July 2014

If you're not actively searching out Pumpernickel's, there is an excellent chance you'll drive right by it. That's a shame, because they have some downright wonderful German fare & a nice selection of beers on tap.
Pumpernickel's is attached to the Bolton Pines Motel a few miles south of the main village of Bolton Landing. From the outside, it really looks like not much more than a roadside bar. Actually, even when you first walk in the door it looks like a roadside bar. Walk past the bar to the hostess stand, and you're lead into a fairly spacious dining room. Immediately upon entry you're lead by an open cooler filled with their homemade desserts, which while probably a brilliant business move, is playing a bit dirty if you ask me! Everything in there looks delicious, and I personally spend a good portion of the meal thinking about how it will taste.
After being lead past the case of temptation, we were seated at a large table in front of what I was told is the largest cuckoo clock in NY. I can't verify this claim, but it's pretty big, and kept the two toddlers at the table entertained for an unexpectedly long time. The menu is a rundown of German food's greatest hits: Rouladen, Schweinebaxe, Sauerbraten, Schweinbraten, Huhnerbrust, a variety of schnitzels, and the ubiquitous Wurstplatte with it's delicious various meats in tube form. There are also a number of more "continental" dishes for those opposed to German food, but seriously, who goes to a place called Pumpernickel's and orders the prime rib? That's like going to Peter Luger's and ordering the fish. But I digress.... All dishes come with unlimited trips to the small but tasty salad bar, featuring a few garden greens, cheese, carrots, etc., as well as an assortment of German salads (potato, cucumber, etc.) and a soup. Entrees also come with a small loaf of, surprise! Pumpernickel bread, which is really quite good.
For the second year in a row, I ordered the "Mayor's Platter for Two." The name of this dish is nothing but lies. It is not for two normal people. It is probably not for two sumo wrestlers. My wife, my father in law, my two year old and I all shared this beast which features generous portions of sauerbraten, roast pork, bratwurst, wiener schnitzel, spatzle, potato pancakes, red cabbage and sauerkraut, and we had leftovers to take home. Not only were the portions tremendously huge, the quality was excellent as well, and while everything on the platter was delicious, the spatzle and sauerbraten stood out especially. The only serious knock I have on this place is the price, with average entrees starting at $26, which is well above average for German restaurants I've eaten at, but I suppose one must write that up as the "Tourist Town Tax." Despite the high cost, three people can easily share the Mayor's Platter for $53.95, which gives you a variety of flavors to try with your meal and eases the hit to your wallet.

4  Thank bassjwp
There are newer reviews for Pumpernickel's Restaurant

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This was our first time to Pumpernickel's and it was a great choice. The salad bar is chock full of veggies and salads. The marble rye/pumpernickel bread was hot from the oven and three people in our party shared a sample platter which consisted of sauerbraten, weiner schnitzel, bratwurst, potato pancakes, red cabbage and sauerkraut. Truly authentic and delicious. We sat under the largest cuckoo-clock in the U.S. The service was great too. Megan was our server and she was delightful.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Wife had prime rib - huge and perfectly done. My sis and I shared the Mayors dinner for two - enough for four and excellent! Salad bar wonderful. Service was excellent and the place is German pristine clean and neat. We had a marvelous time!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The food was outstanding. Get the Mayor's Platter if you like a little of everything. It says it's for 2 people but there is clearly enough for 3 ( and we are big eaters). All the staff was very friendly. We will be going back. If you like German food or always wanted to try it look no further you have found the perfect place

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We look forward to dinner at Pumpernickels all year. We always go once on our annual trip to Lake George. The service is great as is the food. We get the mayors platter and have the leftovers the next day. The staff is so friendly and the service is great. I can't recommend this place enough.