“A Fantastic Night !!”

Chateau On the Lake
Reserve with OpenTable
Chateau On the Lake is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Chateau on the Lake is located in upstate New York on Lake George, and is more than a dining establishment -- it's an experience. Our clients visit our property for at least 3 hours, select from our wine list, sit by the fire pit, savor a three to four course meal, and end their evening with coffee/after dinner drinks by the fire pit while roasting s'mores. Chateau on the Lake has been open since 2013, and we have quickly became a popular establishment, sold to capacity night after night. We are a great place to book your wedding. A memorable time is assured when you visit Chateau on the Lake. We hope to see you soon. We also now offer rooms that can be rented nightly. The rooms are located above the restaurant. They are luxury rooms. $500 - $1,200 per night.
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Just returned from a fantastic night at the Chateau On the Lake...... The snow was still on the trees and the Chateau was beautifully decorated for the holidays. From the minute we walked in for this special evening, we were blown away. This was a wine and food dinner with Chappellet Wines. As we arrived, we were greeted with champagne from Pol Roger and great hors d'oeuvres followed by course after course of imaginative creative cuisine. One of the courses was Moroccan spiced lamb chops served with a spicy sauce and a cucumber tzatziki. It was the best lamb I have ever had. The service, the ambiance, and the food created one of the top dining experiences I have had. Kudos to The Foy's and their staff for having such created a top notch dining establishment!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Great French resturant located in the small village of Bolton Landing. While the prices are steep
it is well worth it for a special night out. The view over Lake George is breathtaking as you sip wine by the outside fire pit. Service was excellent. When in the Eastern Adirondacks be sure to find this gem!

Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Have had the Sunday brunch at chateau Avalon 5/6 times. Never disappoints. Recently went while staying at Stillwaters resort by sdc. Prime rib. Fresh shrimp and cocktail sauce. Salmon. Beef tips. Chicken. Crab spinach Benedict. Made to order omelettes. All the breakfast favorites. Belgian waffles. Several salad options and even a buffet bar just for kids. Tenders Mac and cheese etc. awesome HOMEMADE desserts. Have been on Mother's Day and they also add more. Always a treat.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I'm disappointed to post this review. I had higher hopes the owners would have at least contacted me regarding my recent experience.

The post below is an abbreviation of a letter I wrote. Sadly, with local ties to the area, we have heard too many similar stories of other locals who've been:

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Foy,

My husband and I recently dined at the Chateau on the Lake and were joined by his parents. I'm writing as a follow-up to our experience with hope it provides insight into the great part of our dining experience as well as areas in great need of improvement.

We come to town several times each summer, excited to learn the Chateau was new we wanted to try it. Excited by the menu learning my mother-in-law knew Mr. Wilson (the previous estate owner). She and my father-in-law were excited to join us.

Upon arriving and walking around to the lakeside entrance–we were completely blown away by the beauty and care in which you’ve taken to make it so beautifully inviting and comfortable. We had a 6:30 reservation and wanted to start with a cocktail near the fire. Our waitress come over and was friendly. Then, this is where things sadly, started to go south.

We ordered drinks and were rushed by the waitress to start ordering food and then make it to our table for starters and dinner. She insisted we order appetizers and when they were ready, she would let us know and we could go to our table.

So, we ordered …

We began with the Cheese and Charcuterie Board and the Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras – both were outstanding Foie Gras is an absolute favourite or my father-in law. Upon the starters arriving, we were ushered to our table. In between, we asked if there were any specials. They all sounded specular. I asked what they were served with and told they were served with the chef’s selection of vegetables. Upon asking what the “Chef’s Selection” consisted of, I was brushed off and told it was “like green beans and stuff”. I asked her if she could find out what they were and I was ignored.

Once being seated for our starters, we begin ordering our entrees. My husband ordered the Chef’s Prime Cut, my mother in law ordered the Brine Cured Wood Grilled Niman Ranch Pork Tenderloin, my father-in law the steak special of the day and I ordered the salmon special. I asked how it was prepared and given a very loose description. I asked specifically if I could get it very crispy and pan seared, I was assured it would be served that way. I once again asked very sternly what the “Chef’s Selection of Vegetables” were and then told she would find out.

As our meals began to arrive, they looked beautiful and smelled delicious. That is until I got my dinner. I ordered the salmon special pan seared with an assurance it would be to my specification. It arrived and was baked with some sort of crust on the outside. If the chef couldn’t make it the way I asked for it, the waitress, in my opinion had a responsibility to come to me and ask if I would like it the way it was going to be prepared or give me an opportunity to make another selection. I mentioned to her that it was not what I was expecting with a return look of oh no, I thought you might not notice!

So, this isn’t it, it actually gets worse from here. But – before I get into that, My husband loved his steak, my mother in laws pork was .. fine for pork and my father in laws steak special was tasty by not worth the $69 he later discovered it cost! Now back to my salmon, aside from it not being prepared as I’d asked, as I began to eat it I realized it was baked (I use that term very loosely) it was literally raw and full of fish bones! I brought this to the attention of my waitress and she said she’d talk to the Chef. We dine out all the time, in some of the finest restaurants in NYC, Boston, San Francisco, etc. I have never had an experience like this and not even have someone from the management staff come to my table. The bones were the icing on the cake.

I am sharing this with you for the hope of helping you be successful beyond your grand opening and tourist season. This is very much a seasonal destination and you will rely on locals for the slow season. People talk, word will get around. If locals receive service and meals like I did, I assure you, your success will be short lived.

I pulled this quote directly from your website:

The Foys acknowledge that the restaurant is the most expensive on the lake, and for many people, may be a destination only on special occasions.

“We had a vision of a restaurant that would appeal to people willing to pay for a superior product and an experience you can’t find anywhere near here,” said Ed Foy.

“There’s a level of sophistication in Bolton Landing; we want to appeal to that sophistication and attract it.

I would be happy to discuss further should you wish to contact me.

5  Thank asagenh75
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I booked the Chateau for our party of seven the night before a family wedding on October 11, 2013. From the moment we arrived for cocktails lakeside by the oversized firepit, the staff was so accommodating and the service was spot on. Our party was an eclectic group, but every need was met and expectations exceeded. From the wait staff to the chef who came out to talk with us post-dinner to the owner, bravo, well-done. I hope visitors to BL recognize this gem for what it is and support it fully as I plan to return whenever I come back to NY.