“Run and owned by family and they treat you like family”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bolton Landing
Carey's Lakeside Cottages
Huntington Station, New York
“Run and owned by family and they treat you like family”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My family has stayed at Carey’s for years. Every Fourth of July we rented the big house on the water. My parents started before I was born and we went for over 18 years. I learned to water-ski at Carey’s. Since I have been married, the family has been back a few times and it is just the way I remember it.

You have to appreciate the fact that you can bring a boat and keep it at their dock. They have a sandy beach and areas to barbeque.

I am disappointed with some of the few negative reviews I read. Just because your neighbor plays the TV loud doe not mean there is something wrong with the resort.

The world is quick to toss around complaints but the mere fact that generation after returns back including me and my family and we are met by the 4th and 5th generation of family owners says something about the quality of the resort.

It is called “Lake George” and what better way to appreciate the lake is to stay right on the lake with a boat. If you are looking for plasma TV’s 24 hour entertainment and high tech gadgets, go on a cruise.

If you want to relax and enjoy the lake. Go to Carey’s Lakeside Cottages.

Room Tip: Call ahead if you have a boat. Make sure they have space for it on the dock.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Connecticut
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Our stay at Carey's was unpleasant due to the super thin walls between the units. I think placing television sets in the rooms was a mistake - especially at 2:00am when the group in the adjoining room is blasting their set. The cottages were all full when we stayed there and it seemed to be too much humanity packed into a small area.
The room was very adequate, but large groups took over the dock and raft at the swimming area, thus limiting one's use of all the facilities.
I would recommend going to Carey's during the off season, if at all.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Didi E
Brooklyn
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I'm a single woman and have been coming to Carey's every year for over 20 years. If you want the ultimate in luxury you may be disappointed but, off season, Carey's is a paradise for the nature lover. The dock, view from the lake, mesmerizing log fires and the low key living refresh my spirit beyond description. There are no words for how much pleasure I have experienced at Carey's over the years. Bring your own bath towel if you dislike their linens. Nothing about Carey's bothers me one bit. I am grateful they put up with me and my city slicker ways. I have swamped a rowboat, made huge smoky fires and left wood chips everywhere, yet they are unfailingly warm and gracious hosts. I am counting the days until my spring visit.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank houseon3st
NY
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We have stayed at Carey's now 4 times throughout the last couple of years. It is a typical, no-frills Bolton Landing style motel but with great adirondack cottage style rooms. Rooms are good size and are VERY clean. Ask for a room with a fireplace if you are staying earlier or later in the season. Dock space available so if you have a boat, trailer it up! We launched our boat in Norwall Marina where you can also park your trailer just out of convenience for $60, but you also can park your trailer at Carey's. The owner, Billy, is a nice guy who goes out of his way to accomodate your needs.

Motel is great for kids, there is a small beach, swim platform, swing set, and an amusement room. I stayed with my husband and another couple, it's appropriate for all ages. All in all, great bang for your buck. Also, it is walking distance to town.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Suffern, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Our family just returned from another great week at Carey's Lakeside. We have been going there as a family for over ten years. When our children were toddlers, we felt a safety factor that you just don't feel anywhere else. The beach was just the right size to keep an eye on them and they got their first taste of fishing off of the dock. There is a playground and badminton/volleyball net and a rec room with ping pong and some video games. As they have grown they still look forward to going every year. They see friends who also have grown up at Carey's. The rooms are clean, and the beds are warm and comfortable. No AC, but there is a ceiling fan and you really don't need if with the breezes of the lake. We never have. You can grill and picnic with a magnificent view of Lake George. There are canoes and rowboats and boat docks if you own a boat. We rent a boat from Chic's Marina for the day and you get a whole other view of the lake. Carey's is walking distance to Bolton Landing and plenty of nice restaurants. We also found this Opera Museum this year. It is a short walk from Careys and gives you a little bit of the history of the area plus some nice walking paths by the lake. We have been to some really great destinations with our kids and this is the one they love the most. Value wise you can't beat it and from the heart you will love Carey's. The Pfau family really make you feel like old friends.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I am writing this review from the property where I am staying with my wife for 2 nights.
We stay in motel room - yes with basic bathroom, no AC and paper floor towel, which does not bother me. The only complain is smelly carpets we need to run fan nonstop in the room to make it disappear. Other than that we like the property and even more the location. It is 10 miles off touristy Lake George village where it takes 15 minutes to drive if one needs to. The property has private beach and water in the lake is clean and warm - good for swimming. Property has few grills - simple but workable - at least to heat prepared food we took with us. There is communal refrigerator in the rec room along with ping-pong table and 2 free pedal boats. Bolton landing is a tiny town with few blocks of downtown with supermarket, few restaurants, ice cream etc..
Boat tour from Lake George village was very nice - if you want to see nicer part of the lake take 3 hours tour. There supposed to be some hiking in mountains we did not do yet, but may tomorrow. “Great” coffee from another reviewer was a bit of expurgation - but it is an option to start the day. Overall we found it a nice place to stay for a long weekend.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cecexo_ny
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We stayed here for a friend's wedding. I was underwhelmed. The room was damp and dark, the bed was hard, the bathmats were paper, the walls were paper thin (we could hear people snoring in the next room) and there was a falling-apart stuffed deer head above the bed.

That said, everyone else who goes to vacation in Bolton Landing seems to love it. I'm not sure what that's about; I guess maybe this is the type of low budge stuff they do in Bolton Landing and Carey's does it well? I don't know. It's just not really for me.

It must be said though: location is great. Right on the lake, and walking distance to town. And the people were v friendly.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George
Blue Lagoon Resort
Blue Lagoon Resort
#1 of 5 in Diamond Point

Been to Carey's Lakeside Cottages? Share your experiences!